Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

BatTalk: What does Burton think of Nolan's work?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-08, 09:49 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Adding to the Bat-ery of Batman related threads........

Considering that Tim Burton prides himself in creating "dark and brooding" movies, what do you all think HE thinks of Nolan's Batman movies? Burton's stuff today is about as campy as the friggin' 60's Batman show by comparison....
Old 07-20-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not sure about Burton but here is what Keaton had to say:

Keaton: I've only seen a little piece [of the sequels] here and there since I finished mine, not for any reason except that I didn't have any real interest. The reason they weren't interesting was the reason I didn't want to do them anymore. I read the script [for "Batman Forever"]. I wasn't into it. But how I wanted to do the third one is what they did in ["Batman Begins"]. I read an article about how they were going about it and I said, "That's exactly what I thought should be done." [Christopher Nolan] is so good and [Christian Bale] is so good. I really would like to see ["Batman Begins"]. I'm sure it's good and I'm sure ["The Dark Knight"] is going to be better.
Old 07-20-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess Michael Keaton can't afford Netflix...?

K
Old 07-20-08, 10:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
I guess Michael Keaton can't afford Netflix...?

K
He's too busy waiting by the phone for "The Surreal Life" to call.
Old 07-20-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always thought actors were really big fans of movies.
Old 07-20-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Burton is thinking "damn it, my movies suck in comparison to Nolan's"
Old 07-20-08, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
Wait, you are asking what people think what someone else will think?

This is getting out of hand.
Old 07-20-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
More importantly, what does Adam West think?
Old 07-20-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If I think of it, I'll try to ask Adam West that question at Dragon Con during the Labor Day weekend.
Old 07-20-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
More importantly, what does Adam West think?
Before the original Burton film was released, didn't Adam West once lament that the 1989 movie would suffer because he wasn't in the starring role?
Old 07-20-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They actually interviewed Adam West on Fox News a couple days ago and talked to him about TDK. He pretty much rallied on about the 60s show, but it made it sound like he enjoyed Begins.
Before the original Burton film was released, didn't Adam West once lament that the 1989 movie would suffer because he wasn't in the starring role?
If memory serves, he actually compared it to New Coke and Coke Classic.. West claimed he was Coke Classic and Keaton stepping in to the role was the failure that was New Coke. This was before it came out; he wanted to be cast.
Old 07-20-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I always thought actors were really big fans of movies.
I get the sense that directors are bigger fans of movies. (Gross generalization, but I'll stand by it)
But...it seems that once you reach a certain level of success, the amount of movies you watch (have time to watch) decreases.
Old 07-20-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Honestly, Dark Knight has just regelated Batman 89 into the same realm as the Batman 60's tv show. Just destroyed it, and made Nicholson's performance seem ridicously stupid. Batman Returns is probably the only movie from the "89 series" that will stand the test of time - although for some reason I really like Batman Forever.
Old 07-20-08, 10:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
If I think of it, I'll try to ask Adam West that question at Dragon Con during the Labor Day weekend.
I'm sure you'll be the only one!
Old 07-20-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster
Honestly, Dark Knight has just regelated Batman 89 into the same realm as the Batman 60's tv show. Just destroyed it, and made Nicholson's performance seem ridicously stupid. Batman Returns is probably the only movie from the "89 series" that will stand the test of time - although for some reason I really like Batman Forever.
I doubt that. As far as I can tell people were pretty mixed on which they preferred between Batman and Batman Returns, and I assumed more people preferred the first over Returns. I don't think Dark Knight will change that.
Old 07-20-08, 11:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I interviewed Adam West recently, and while I didn't ask him outright (the interview was short and specifically about the 1966 movie), he did make an offhand comment that suggested he thought the Nolan movies were too dark.
Old 07-20-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
If West honestly thought he'd be a good fit for the '89 Burton film, he's as weird-crazy as they portray him on the Simpsons.
Old 07-20-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

the thought of West in the Burton film makes me laugh, hysterically.
Old 07-21-08, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
If West honestly thought he'd be a good fit for the '89 Burton film, he's as weird-crazy as they portray him on the Simpsons.
You mean Family Guy? He actually does the voice himself. That goes to show that he's self-aware of his image.

I'd be curious to hear what Burton say's about Nolan's Batman too. That's always interested me. You've got... Ridley Scott on Alien sequels (and, blech, Alien VS Predator) ... James Cameron on Terminator 3 - and now the new material after Mario Kassar and Andy Vajna sold the rights.

I remember James Cameron giving a polite and vague comment on T3. It was something like, 'the director pays a lot of attention to detail and put out a good movie'. But I wonder what he thinks of T4 and the way the TV show was handled. T3 was completely satisfactory (though I still don't accept it). And the TV show let me indulge with the story and details - and was handled well, by people who seemed to care about the source.

Batman and Batman Returns will hold up - due to Burton's zaney style. 'Returns' is especially a unique movie. I recall despising it's strange, surreal nature when I saw it as a kid (10-or-so). 'Forever' was great when I first saw it. But it's become kind of ho-hum over the past ten years. And then Batman and Robin had some pretty interesting designs and effects (especially Freeze) - but was bloated, painful and simply uninvolving.

So I wonder if Burton feels belittled by the new movies. Movies like Batman Begins and The Dark Knight must be intimidating to filmmakers who are trying to put out similar mainstream product. You've got to ask, "what now". Are we going to get a handful of so-so movies that were sold as "a cross between The Dark Knight and so-and-so"? Kind of like what happened after Lord of the Rings (Chronicles of Narnia, I'm looking at you).

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 07-21-08 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-21-08, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I'd imagine he knows they're so different that it doesn't matter. Two visions, I still enjoy both. Still, looking back it is hard to believe that those movies used to be THE franchise on the block... now it is again. I think the 89 Batman adjusted for inflation would be at about 400million today, which is probably what TDK will do.
Old 07-21-08, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I interviewed Adam West recently, and while I didn't ask him outright (the interview was short and specifically about the 1966 movie), he did make an offhand comment that suggested he thought the Nolan movies were too dark.
Yeah well, I specifically remember him saying the same thing about the 1st Burton film! I remember because he kinda bummed me out when he said it.
So if in fact he's actually seen Nolan's Batman, and frankly I doubt that he has even with that "I've seen bits and pieces" line, he must be sleeping with his lights on. And what is this "I've seen bits and pieces" line all actors seem to give? Is it a way of saying "I'm too cool to look at that" kinda thing?"

I think he really believes the 60's goofy vibe is the best thing for Batman.

I spoiled these short articles to keep the thread clean.

West on not being excited about The Dark Knight

Spoiler:

TV Batman Adam West not excited for The Dark Knight
By David Bentley on Jun 20, 08 01:57 PM in Film gossip

TV BATMAN actor Adam West has spoken about next month's superhero sequel The Dark Knight - and he doesn't share the fanboy frenzy of anticipation and excitement for the film.

In the upcoming movie, directed by Christopher Nolan and a follow-up to 2005's Batman Begins, Christian Bale plays Bruce Wayne and his masked alter-ego and Heath Ledger plays anarchic archvillain the Joker.

West, now 79, says it's the other end of the spectrum from his own version of the caped crusader in the camp and colourful 60s TV series, in which he co-starred with Burt Ward who played his sidekick Robin.

West, who at one point distanced himself from his TV role but now embraces the iconic status it has brought, told Comicbookmovie he felt no ill-will towards The Dark Knight but it had an entirely different approach to the character.

He said: "I've only seen bits and pieces of [Nolan's Batman movies]. There's an enormous amount of effort and time and money that goes into the making of them, but it's a different generation. They're a different kind of thing than ours was. They're dark, gothic, sinister, full of explosions. We didn't approach it that way at all."

West was used to the lighthearted portrayals in the 60s TV series. "It was silly and funny. With the villains, especially, it was almost Shakespearean because of the bizarre costuming and makeup. In those days we didn't rely on special effects as much so everyone was challenged to use their imaginations.

"I don't remember any case in which somebody didn't really enjoy the creation of it. If it wasn't that kind of open environment, then I felt like I was a failure because I tried to go on the stage every day and create that kind of atmosphere."

In 1966, the cast filmed a spin-off film, Batman: The Movie, which is coming out on Blu-ray disc on July 1 in the US and on July 14 in the UK. But there's no sign of a DVD or Blu-ray release for the series itself.

West said: "I get that question all the time. People want it, but I can't do anything about it. The only thing I've heard is that for some time they've been trying to cut a deal as far as ownership and return - basically who gets what slice of the pie. When that is worked out, then I guess you'll be able to get it."

Adam West: New Batman Movies Are Too Violent But He Still Wants In

Spoiler:

Being of a certain age, I know Adam West for two very different roles played at very different times of his life. There is of course the part he plays as Mayor Adam West in the hilarious Family Guy, and then there is Batman. I’m more a fan of the former, but then that is because I’m rather childish, and grew up when special effects meant the original TV series version of Batman was rather outdated and dare I say it, a bit on the lame side.

However, West needs to be respected for bringing a character to life way back then who is about to be absolutely everywhere in the form of Christian Bale with The Dark Knight just a few weeks away from release.

The Den Of Geek recently interviewed West in the lead-up to the release of Heath Ledger’s final film and asked him his views on a number of different things, mainly Batman related but not wholly. Two sections of the interview stand out though. First there is West’s views on the current generation of Batman movies.

“They’re simply doing their thing, and doing what they think brings the biggest return.”

“[But] when I see bits and pieces of the movies, to me they’re too violent, too noisy and they rely too much on the score and sound effects etc, but they’re brilliantly done as far as the CGI is concerned… all those things that they can do in modern times.”

“Even in those movies, I would rather see warmer relationships. More meaningful relationships. And more subtle, tongue-in-cheek comedy of some kind. You can go around killing dozens of people, but you’ve got to be sort of funny doing it.”

So he’s kinda critical of the all-action killing machine that Batman has become. He has a point, but only really when viewed from the point of view of 1960s television when let’s face it, things were done slightly differently than they are today.

But after all his criticism of the new breed, it seems West would still love to make a guest appearance in a forthcoming film. He said:

“Well I’d love to. I like Christian Bale. I’ve heard he’s a big fan of mine, but I certainly reciprocate.”

“I think he’s really very good. I’d love to play his father. The older Batman comes out of the woodwork, when times get really tough…maybe a few tips here and there.”

Now that I’d love to see, and I actually don’t think he’d look too out of place. I’m not sure if the strangely coloured outfit West wore to become Batman would quite work in this day and age though.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-21-08 at 03:50 AM.
Old 07-21-08, 05:28 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
I'd imagine he knows they're so different that it doesn't matter. Two visions, I still enjoy both. Still, looking back it is hard to believe that those movies used to be THE franchise on the block... now it is again. I think the 89 Batman adjusted for inflation would be at about 400million today, which is probably what TDK will do.
You'd certainly hope so. These comparisons are foolish to me, because these films set out to achieve two different things, and I think they were both successful (Burton and Nolan's films).
Old 07-21-08, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I don't think Burton is second guessing himself, cause he has his style for every movie, which either fans love or hate. He was always the wrong guy for Batman, cause you can't have a guy direct a mainstream comic book who makes all of his movies in a style that has more of a niche audience. PeeWee, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Mars Attacks are all a bit strange IMO, yet I know people who love those films because they are strange.

I think everyone in Hollywood is second guessing themselves cause Nolan made a movie for adults, or what I call the Star Wars/Indiana Jones generation who grew up in the 1980's, and we showed up big time this weekend. For the past ten years, Hollywood has catered summer blockbusters to teenagers and kids and have turned off people like me who are in their 30's and want a grownup film. Where does the summer blockbuster go now, back to the kiddies/teenagers or to the Star Wars/Indiana Jones generation? It should be interesting.....
Old 07-21-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by troystiffler
You mean Family Guy? He actually does the voice himself. That goes to show that he's self-aware of his image.
The Simpsons is where he first developed his "Wacky Adam West" character.

Originally Posted by Adam West
And I didn’t need molded plastic to improve my physique. Pure. West. And why doesn’t Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?
Old 07-21-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coli
I don't think Burton is second guessing himself, cause he has his style for every movie, which either fans love or hate. He was always the wrong guy for Batman, cause you can't have a guy direct a mainstream comic book who makes all of his movies in a style that has more of a niche audience. PeeWee, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Mars Attacks are all a bit strange IMO, yet I know people who love those films because they are strange.

I think everyone in Hollywood is second guessing themselves cause Nolan made a movie for adults, or what I call the Star Wars/Indiana Jones generation who grew up in the 1980's, and we showed up big time this weekend. For the past ten years, Hollywood has catered summer blockbusters to teenagers and kids and have turned off people like me who are in their 30's and want a grownup film. Where does the summer blockbuster go now, back to the kiddies/teenagers or to the Star Wars/Indiana Jones generation? It should be interesting.....
I totally agree...

Most of the comic book adaptations including Spider-man were geared first to kids and teens with some adult appeal. It wasn't until Batman Begins and then a to a lesser extent Iron Man that the studios tried to appeal to more of an adult audience. I know some may say that the X-Men series was the first to do this but I still think that teens were the primary target not adults. I'm so glad that the Dark Knight dispelled the myth that a "dark" comic book film geared toward adults first, would not bring in the type of Box Office receipts as the lighter fare such as Spidey.

In regards to Burton, I think he probably appreciates the work of Nolan and the new Batman series. The 1989 Batman was great in it's time but came from a totally different approach than the new Batman series.

I can't wait to see what the next few years bring us....

Last edited by amplified; 07-21-08 at 02:56 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.