Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wackness (2008) Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of the film?
13.64%
27.27%
22.73%
22.73%
9.09%
4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-08, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RT (Currently 66%)

Consensus:
Sympathetic characters and a clever script help The Wackness overcome a familiar plot to make for a charming coming-of-age comedy.
IMDB

My thoughts:

I really didn't think it was anything special. The soundtrack was great, but I felt the rest was very generic and nothing I will remember. 2/5 stars.

Last edited by JPRaup; 07-20-08 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-20-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'll see it eventually even if it's just for olivia thirlby
Old 07-20-08, 02:11 PM
Banned

She is SO fucking hot in this movie. Won't be disappointed.
Old 07-20-08, 02:11 PM
Banned

Might go see it later this week.
Old 07-20-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want to see it but the closest it's playing is in San Fran which is 100 miles away.
Old 07-20-08, 02:55 PM

I saw it a week or two ago and woulden't mind paying to see it again. Initialy, I wanted to see it b/c I thought Mary-Kate Olsen would have a bigger part in it... but really, she's only in two or three scenes - and her acting is just as terrible it was as when she was a kid. I think the only reason I wanted to see her in the movie is to see if she's changed any, acting-wise. she seemed to just play the type of charecter that reflects how she dresses and is in real life,...anyhow - enough about her, she was extremely, extremely forgettable!
The rest of the cast was awesome! The movie was very quick-witted, funny, and I can't wait for it to come out on DVD... I've already signed up for the DVD list on Amazon.
oh! and I would definitly reccomend this movie to people, like myself, who love the movies Thumbsucker, and Igby Goes Down !!!
Old 07-20-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dying to see this, hasn't come to central NJ yet unfortunately.

And Olivia Thirlby...
Old 07-27-08, 12:48 AM

Loved the movie. Have a feeling the review on this site was done by an African-American who didnt like the "wigger" feel to the movie. I can tell by the little digs at wanting to slap the main character across the face and saying the movie was a Spike Lee rip off. Hate when reviewers bring their personal viewpoints into their review and letting it cloud their judgment.
Old 07-27-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brocklanders
Loved the movie. Have a feeling the review on this site was done by an African-American who didnt like the "wigger" feel to the movie. I can tell by the little digs at wanting to slap the main character across the face and saying the movie was a Spike Lee rip off. Hate when reviewers bring their personal viewpoints into their review and letting it cloud their judgment.
no it was just done by brian orndorf.
Old 07-27-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, I watched it and didn't even notice Union was the Olsen chick, which I guess was a good thing.

Movie was nothing special I agree, but I liked Ben Kingsley and for that the film gets 3 from me.
Old 07-30-08, 11:47 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I finally caught this and just hated it. What a mess of a movie, with a total sitcom conclusion.

As for this...
Originally Posted by brocklanders
Yeah, don't you just hate when a critic gives their personal opinion in a job that requires personal opinion? HOW DARE THEY!

You need to get out if the house more.
Old 07-30-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Dying to see this, hasn't come to central NJ yet unfortunately.
It's currently playing at the Montgomery Cinema, if you're close to that. I'll probably check it out tomorrow evening.

K
Old 01-18-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The Wackness (2008) Reviews Thread

Just got around to watching this and I loved it. I'm a sucker for these coming-of-age type movies. The soundtrack was great as well. Will pick up on blu-ray.
Old 01-18-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Rented this (it's been on my most wanted list since it came to theaters) and I loved it. Great performances all around. Picked up the Blu-Ray last week.
Old 01-19-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Doesn't look good to me but I've been trying to watch as many Ben Kingsley movies as I can lately so this is on my list.
Old 01-19-09, 11:05 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i don't know how anyone can like this. i gave it a chance and the "white guy talks ethnic", especially coming from Josh Peck was just so stupid and took me right out of the movie. then the girl (Olivia) spoke similar, then the Asian. really laughable dialogue. and forget about Ben Kingsley's performance.

i think i would have it liked it more had they not had been so phony. and correct me if i am wrong but the CD revolution was in full effect in 1994, so the fact that everyone in the movie used tapes and had tape players readily available seemed off.

Last edited by OldBoy; 01-19-09 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had expectations and though I didn't think it was terrible, I don't know what all the fuss was about.
Old 03-02-09, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit more than I thought I would. It seemed pretty genuine, though it seemed like they were ripping on Guliani more than I ever heard anyone rip on him. I thought everyone loved the guy.

I didn't think the kid talking black was a problem. It was phony and he knew it. The movie and character wasn't trying to be ultra serious like drug dealing Topher Grace in Traffic. Peck was decent enough, he came off believable. Kingsley was great, I liked his character, liked the dialogue. I couldn't believe that was Method Man playing the Jamaican dealer. I was thinking, please just talk like you talk, I won't believe until I see your name in the credits. Olivia Thirlby was fantastic as expected.

I gave it 4 stars. I'm not trading away the blu-ray.
Old 03-02-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott1598
i don't know how anyone can like this. i gave it a chance and the "white guy talks ethnic", especially coming from Josh Peck was just so stupid and took me right out of the movie. then the girl (Olivia) spoke similar, then the Asian. really laughable dialogue. and forget about Ben Kingsley's performance.

i think i would have it liked it more had they not had been so phony. and correct me if i am wrong but the CD revolution was in full effect in 1994, so the fact that everyone in the movie used tapes and had tape players readily available seemed off.
so i'm assuming in 2018 when they make a movie about 2008 and people are watching dvds you're going to complain right? cassettes were still popular in 1994, especially mixtapes. remember, we didn't have cd burners at that time so if someone made you a copy of an album it was on cassette.
Old 03-02-09, 09:54 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
so i'm assuming in 2018 when they make a movie about 2008 and people are watching dvds you're going to complain right? cassettes were still popular in 1994, especially mixtapes. remember, we didn't have cd burners at that time so if someone made you a copy of an album it was on cassette.
that first line doesn't make much sense considering DVD's is still the dominant format right now and in 2008. in 1994, CD's were the more dominant media format.

i'm not really complaining, i am merely criticizing or maybe i don't remember tapes being used so much then. all i said was i thought it seemed off.

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-02-09 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-02-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really like the movie, and I, too, was using cassette tapes back in '94. I didn't get a CD player until 1996.
Old 03-03-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
that first line doesn't make much sense considering DVD's is still the dominant format right now and in 2008. in 1994, CD's were the more dominant media format.

i'm not really complaining, i am merely criticizing or maybe i don't remember tapes being used so much then. all i said was i thought it seemed off.
They definitely weren't the dominant media format, but were just coming into their own around this time. I actually bought my first cd in 95. Most cars made in 94 were sold with cassette players, you had to buy your own radio for a cd player (or use the portable cd player with the cassette adapter). I think the filmmakers did a little more research than merely relying on memory.