Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Summer movies that actually lived up to the hype...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-08, 09:29 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Iron Man and TDK this summer were pretty good but usually going into a summer movie being overhyped only leads to disapointment.

e.g. Star Wars Prequel, Indiana Jones Crystal Skull.
Old 07-20-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Terminator 2
Old 07-20-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Batman ('89)
Old 07-20-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
The Dark Knight is the first summer movie in a long time (I missed Iron Man) to live up to the hype for me. Last year was just atrocious.
Old 07-20-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Batman '89 was the textbook definition of "overhyped": a ton of pre-release buzz, overloaded and omnipresent merchandising and tie-ins, and a disappointing, mediocre (IMHO) movie.

Not a popular choice, but from last summer I'd say Transformers was the best of the popcorn bunch. After a most disappointing trifecta of Shrek 3, Pirates 3, and Spidey 3 (a more craptacular grouping of threequels, I've never seen), Michael Bay's ode to the inner 12 year old boy in everyone was a refreshingly enjoyable ride. Great movie? Nah. But for what it *promised* to be, it delivered in abundance.
Old 07-20-08, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Batman '89 was the textbook definition of "overhyped": a ton of pre-release buzz, overloaded and omnipresent merchandising and tie-ins, and a disappointing, mediocre (IMHO) movie.
Couldn't disagree more. Batman easily lived up to the hype - it was a critical success, Box Office blockbuster, and a great movie to boot (IMHO).
Old 07-20-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I was 10, so Batman 89 lived up to the hype.

In the Internet age (and maybe just being older and harder to please), a movie actually living up to the hype is getting very hard.

That said, TDK and Iron Man are two this year that definitely lived up to and exceeded the hype.
Old 07-20-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Terminator 2, Independence Day, Speed, True Lies.
Old 07-20-08, 03:48 PM
Banned

I'm only 20 years old, so I haven't been around to be "hyped" for some other releases. I'm sure T2 would have been incredible. Here are some ones remember being excited for and turned out just great:

Transformers
The Matrix Reloaded
The Dark Knight
The Bourne Ultimatum
Old 07-20-08, 04:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
"Batman Begins".

hype could be positive or negative. this was a movie that was going to restart a franchise that was thrown into the toilet.

i don't think fanboys or the movie going public gave it much of a chance. i don't really remember the buzz, but i am sure it was similar to the hesitation that surrounded this summer's "The Incredible Hulk" .

i think word of mouth, utter astonshiment, surprise, and an incredible movie propelled BB to the status it is today. yes, TDK maybe the superior film story and acting wise, but Begins IS what started the hype for the new one.
Old 07-20-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Not a popular choice, but from last summer I'd say Transformers was the best of the popcorn bunch. After a most disappointing trifecta of Shrek 3, Pirates 3, and Spidey 3 (a more craptacular grouping of threequels, I've never seen), Michael Bay's ode to the inner 12 year old boy in everyone was a refreshingly enjoyable ride. Great movie? Nah. But for what it *promised* to be, it delivered in abundance.
I disagree 100%. Transformers could have easily been much better. But considering that nearly everything in it reeked of corporate filmmaking (more product placement! Too many robots, more humans!) it was one gigantic compromise with great special effects.
Old 07-20-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jurassic Park
Old 07-20-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Dark Knight
Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Iron Man

The Bourne Ultimatum
The Simpsons Movie
Live Free or Die Hard

No summer blockbuster in 2006 lived to the hype in my estimation.

War or the Worlds
Batman Begins
Star Wars Episode III

Spider-Man 2

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
X2: X-Men United

Signs
Spider-Man

Every summer blockbuster from 2001 was flawed in some way.

The Perfect Storm
X-Men
Gladiator

The Mummy (though there wasn't THAT much hype

Saving Private Ryan
The Mask of Zorro

Men in Black
Face/Off

There was no blockbuster from '96 that I LOVED, including ID4.

Batman Forever
Die Hard With a Vengeance

The Lion King
True Lies
Speed
Forrest Gump

Jurassic Park
The Fugitive

Batman Returns

T2

1990 was BAD summer.

Batman (though it is very flawed)
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade
Lethal Weapon 2
Ghostbusters II
Old 07-20-08, 05:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
The Dark Knight
Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Iron Man

The Bourne Ultimatum
The Simpsons Movie
Live Free or Die Hard

No summer blockbuster in 2006 lived to the hype in my estimation.

War or the Worlds
Batman Begins
Star Wars Episode III

Spider-Man 2

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
X2: X-Men United

Signs
Spider-Man

Every summer blockbuster from 2001 was flawed in some way.

The Perfect Storm
X-Men
Gladiator

The Mummy (though there wasn't THAT much hype

Saving Private Ryan
The Mask of Zorro

Men in Black
Face/Off

There was no blockbuster from '96 that I LOVED, including ID4.

Batman Forever
Die Hard With a Vengeance

The Lion King
True Lies
Speed
Forrest Gump

Jurassic Park
The Fugitive

Batman Returns

T2

1990 was BAD summer.

Batman (though it is very flawed)
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade
Lethal Weapon 2
Ghostbusters II
Ok Ghostbusters 2, Episode 3, Live Free and Die Hard, and Matrix Reloaded were horrible.
Old 07-20-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I think a better title would be:

"Summer movies that actually lived up to the hype for you..."

Otherwise it'll turn into a pissing match. I can see some tinkling has already begun...
Old 07-20-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
This year has seen two so far that met or exceeded my expectations:

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Old 07-20-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Ok Ghostbusters 2, Episode 3, Live Free and Die Hard, and Matrix Reloaded were horrible.
If you didn't love Ghostbusters II, then I'm going to have to guess you're not a child of the 80's. Or you didn't enjoy the original, either.

Episode III is THE prequel that people were waiting for. Some of the acting and dialogue is bad, but the story, action, and f/x are all top-notch, and worthy of the original trilogy.

Again...I'm guessing not a child of the 80's...because this was a good old fashioned action movie, with a solid story, ridiculous action, funny one-liners, and a great return to form by Bruce Willis.

And if you look closer, you'll see I didn't mention The Matrix Reloaded, because I thought it sucked, too.
Old 07-20-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really only T2 for me. Of course, I was an impressionable lad of 14 when it came out, but I remember being absolutely blown away by the special effects. It was truly a revolutionary film in that respect.
Old 07-21-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Independence Day, Iron Man have lived up to the hype.
Old 07-21-08, 12:01 AM
Suspended

If you didn't love Ghostbusters II, then I'm going to have to guess you're not a child of the 80's. Or you didn't enjoy the original, either.

Episode III is THE prequel that people were waiting for. Some of the acting and dialogue is bad, but the story, action, and f/x are all top-notch, and worthy of the original trilogy.

Again...I'm guessing not a child of the 80's...because this was a good old fashioned action movie, with a solid story, ridiculous action, funny one-liners, and a great return to form by Bruce Willis.

And if you look closer, you'll see I didn't mention The Matrix Reloaded, because I thought it sucked, too.

I love 80s movies Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters, Pretty In Pink, Raiders, are all some of my fave. Just Ghostbusters 2 as well as Men In Black 2 and the Stars Prequels will forever be blocked out of my mind due to their crappiness. I guess its just an opinion though so to each his/her own.
Old 07-21-08, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'll just stick to this summer. I've enjoyed everything I've managed to see this year. Caspian, Indy, Wall-E, Wanted, Forgetting Sarah Marshall & even Leatherheads. There hasn't been one I hated yet. I've been lucky.

I really like all four of those films. I loved the latest Die Hard, it was definitely a return to form. It was only marred by the excessive dubbing for the PG-13 rating.

The Matrix Reloaded is a solid film. It's not what everyone was expecting so it didn't live up to the hype. No sequel could have. Everyone had their own notion as to what should have happened. It was destined to fail, just like the Star Wars prequels. It is however, a solid entry in the franchise.
Old 07-21-08, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I was a child of the 80s and still thought Episode III was horrible. Good god was that a boring, cheese-laden movie. I would have rather had Lucas remake Jedi into a good movie than the horrendous prequels he offered up.

Ghostbusters II though? Classic.
Old 07-21-08, 07:40 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
Couldn't disagree more. Batman easily lived up to the hype - it was a critical success, Box Office blockbuster, and a great movie to boot (IMHO).
I saw Batman'89 in when I was in highschool, and always thought it was overrated, and it was one of those movies that you had to see regardless of whether you were a fan or not. Those type of movies come around every 5 years: Jaws, Star Wars, ET, Batman, Titanic.

Kinda of remembering how all of my friends felt towards the movie back in '89, we were definitely split. Many liked it at the time, but just as many of us thought it was OK. I did watch it with my nephews the other night, and I still feel it is an entertaining movie, but still not that great.
Old 07-21-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
One thing The Dark Knight did was show how shallow and superficial almost everything else we've seen this summer really was.

It certainly makes a movie like Indy IV look like nothing more than a cartoon, that's for sure.
Old 07-21-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by coli
Those type of movies come around every 5 years: Jaws, Star Wars, ET, Batman, Titanic.

Jaws: 1975
Star Wars: 1977
E.T.: 1982
Batman: 1989
Titanic: 1997

Somebody's math is a little off. I get what you mean though. I would slide Jurassic Park (1993) (or maybe Forrest Gump '94) in between Batman and Titanic. After Titanic though? Maybe Spider-Man 2 (2004).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.