DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Need some help with the FAQ thread

JimRochester
07-19-08, 12:46 PM
When I started this thread almost a decade ago, we had some pretty specific questions that almost every new member would ask. At least 8 out of 10 would ask for a release date.

With the industry having changed so much, and release information so widely available I finally got around to updating my thread with some more contemporary information. Most of this information is available on the site, so my goal is just to hit on a few of the hottest topics, give a brief description and then point them in the right direction on where to go on the site for more details or to post specific questions.

I started making a few adjustments but am nowhere near complete. I haven't even checked all the links yet. ANy recommendations would be appreciated. If you think the thread is no longer viable, let me know and I'll delete. But I think quick overviews on where to find things wil be handy to newcomers to the site.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=160736

TomOpus
07-19-08, 01:04 PM
Good idea. I've checked the links and here's what I found:

1) The 2 links in your sig don't work :p:D
2) The link for DVDTracker goes to a pro-gun website.
3) The 2 links in the "still waiting for" section don't work.
4) In "Glossary": Criterion, DTS, Overscan, Progressive Scan, Region Coding, SuperBit and the Complete List are the only links that still work.
5) In "For more definitions": Only dvdjournal works

All else looks good. Maybe someone else can confirm these just in case it's me.

Numes
07-19-08, 02:11 PM
I think the post is most certainly still useful. I visited that thread quite a bit when I first joined, and I have found myself there numerous times since then. It's the only place I know where the post name change numbers are listed.

A couple things on first glance:
1. Format error on "I'm having trouble" (a extra bold code)
2. In the cases section, it may be worth noting that new DVD releases are not released with snappers anymore (I think this is true).
3. Probably the best Easter Egg site i have found:
http://www.hiddendvdeastereggs.com/index.html
4. I think DVDTalk automatically has some text parsing when putting in "www.dvd price search.com" (I added spaces so it wouldn't change it.) That site really needs to be put in your FAQ. You have it in two places: In the "Where do I buy" section and in the "essential reading" section.
5. Add <s>Guzzlefish.com</s> DVDSpot.com to the DVD Tracking section
6. It's up to you, but I would highly suggest putting http://www.ratethatcommentary.com in a section. For those of us who are commentary lovers, it's nice to vote on the commentaries and write reviews.
7. In the "still waiting section" - "True Lies *" is listed as "True Lies 5*"
8. Perhaps in the "Where do I Buy" section, talk about the bargains forum a little bit and a link to it.

Trevor
07-19-08, 03:28 PM
I suggest changing the thread title to put "newcomer help" first.

ernestrp
07-19-08, 05:39 PM
I never knew this existed or dont remember. I thought thread counting thing below was gone/banned/changed along time ago?

DVDTalk Information

What are the different names I see for DVDTalkers and how do they change?
They'll change automatically as your post total increases.
New Member - 0
Cool New Member - 20
Member - 50
Senior Member - 250
DVD Talk Special Edition - 1000
DVD Talk Gold Edition - 2000
DVD Talk Platinum Edition - 3000
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition - 4000
DVD Talk Limited Edition - 5000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame - 7500
DVD Talk Legend - 10000
DVD Talk Hero - 25000
DVD Talk Godfather - 50000
DVD Talk God - 100000

Drexl
07-19-08, 05:49 PM
5. Add Guzzlefish.com to the DVD Tracking section

Maybe not.

argh923
07-19-08, 06:53 PM
Is anyone at the Hero/Godfather/God marks yet?

TomOpus
07-19-08, 06:58 PM
Is anyone at the Hero/Godfather/God marks yet?Yes

JamesDFarrow
07-19-08, 08:21 PM
1,000,000 - Definately Needs To Get A Life!

James :-)

Numes
07-19-08, 08:46 PM
Maybe not.

rotfl

What was I thinking?!? I, of course, meant DVDSpot.com

JimRochester
07-19-08, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys. The consensus seems to be to keep a FAQ thread so I'll be updating it as I get time. Please feel free to keep adding comments.

NoirFan
07-19-08, 10:51 PM
Hard to believe that seven years later, we're still waiting for The African Queen.

JimRochester
07-20-08, 08:14 AM
I never knew this existed or dont remember. I thought thread counting thing below was gone/banned/changed along time ago?

DVDTalk Information

What are the different names I see for DVDTalkers and how do they change?
They'll change automatically as your post total increases.
New Member - 0
Cool New Member - 20
Member - 50
Senior Member - 250
DVD Talk Special Edition - 1000
DVD Talk Gold Edition - 2000
DVD Talk Platinum Edition - 3000
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition - 4000
DVD Talk Limited Edition - 5000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame - 7500
DVD Talk Legend - 10000
DVD Talk Hero - 25000
DVD Talk Godfather - 50000
DVD Talk God - 100000

At one point they had a visible thread count in with your name. Too many people made it a contest to up their counts by posting garbage and posting ghost threads and then deleting them. I believe the above list is still valid. At the same time they made the change that when you delete a thread it doesn't count in your total any more.

JimRochester
07-20-08, 08:38 AM
I suggest changing the thread title to put "newcomer help" first.

Mods- since I'll no longer be including detailed release information, can we get rid of that? Make it Newcomer Help, Frequent Topics, FAQ?