Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Psych is back! 07-18-08

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Psych is back! 07-18-08

Ghost ended up being the opening episode, as it was the first to deal with the arrival of Shawn's mom.

That being said, Ghosts was hysterical. Gus is on the verge of losing his job at the drug company, unless he and Shawn can solve the mystery of Gus' boss' haunted house. Think Scooby Doo with a surprise twist at the end.

The secondary plot of Shawn's mom working with Lassiter was funny.

The tertiary plot of Shawn's resentment of his dad's behavior when Mom shows up, and its resolution was very good, and very touching.
Old 07-19-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Terrible episode. I couldn't care less about Shawn's mother and the mystery plot turning out to be Shawn haunting Gus' boss' house was weak.

Biggest laugh was when Gus was trying to carry Shawn out of his office, and Shawn went dead-weight on him.
Old 07-20-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't really like this episode, but glad that it is back. Not enough Juliet, didn't like the mother thing, and didn't like Shawn faking the whole plot.
Old 07-20-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an average episode, but glad to have this show back!
Old 07-20-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That dog is kind of an a-hole.
Old 07-20-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I'd never call an episode of Psych terrible, as long as Shawn and Gus are in it. And yep, they were both in it.

I did like how Shawn deduced the affair and the repackaging of samples as kind of a side project.
Old 07-20-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why would Gus want to keep working for a corporation run by such dicks? Just go to Psych full-time.
Old 07-20-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Why would Gus want to keep working for a corporation run by such dicks? Just go to Psych full-time.
I think he has about 48,000 reasons... (And, if the money isn't enough, the security of full-time employment at a not-so-reputable pharmacutical company. I'm sure Psych doesn't bring in as much money as he would like, nor does it ensure stability. If they happen to hit a dry patch, his "actual" job at least provides income.)
Old 07-20-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still not clear on the Shawn's mom/dad thing. She left the family when he was a senior in HS ... but somehow Shawn though his dad 'walked out" on the family...but kept the house and Shawn apparently???
Old 07-21-08, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by wmansir
I'm still not clear on the Shawn's mom/dad thing. She left the family when he was a senior in HS ... but somehow Shawn though his dad 'walked out" on the family...but kept the house and Shawn apparently???
Yeah. I didn't get that part either.
Old 07-21-08, 12:28 PM

My guess is that Shawn assumed that his dad wanted the divorce and "took" the house and his mother was so hurt that she was "forced" to leave town. I'm also assuming Henry (Corbin Bernson) never corrected him because either he believes "every boy should love his mother" philosophy or because they don't do the touchy-feely emotional talks.

Great therapy session with Lassie and Fearless Gus was a hoot. The mystery was lacking, but I watch the show more for the interaction between the characters and the laughs.
Old 07-21-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought there was some dialogue about how when this divorce stuff went down, Sean's Dad left town for a bit and then came back - so Sean assumed he had abandoned them to do his own thing...but in actual point of fact, his wife had dumped his ass and he needed some time alone to get his shit together.
Old 07-26-08, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Enjoyed tonight's ep. HOWEVER..

I'm really not understanding the "timeline" for all the pop culture references. As illustrated from tonight's ep, Shawn & Gus graduated HS in 1995. That would assume that S&G were hatched around '77 or so.

During the series' run, they've made countless references regarding the 80's. Now, wouldn't it stand to reason that there would be more early 90's references?

In the Ghosts episode, there was a reference to an issue of the magazine "Dynamite" (which came out in Feb of '83) and then a Furby (which was launched in '98!). Tonight's episode contained multiple references to John Hughes' flicks (which came out from '84 (Sixteen Candles) - '97 (Flubber)). They were also playing "muzak" versions of Pat Benatar's "Love Is A Battlefield" and Men Without Hats' "Safety Dance" (both from '83) at the reunion. Wouldn't they be playing more Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Salt 'N Pepa, Mariah Carey, etc.?

Other than that small nitpick, that i'm sure would only bother me, I still like this show.
Old 07-26-08, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts
Great seeing Rachel Leigh Cook in this episode, but I was surprised by the whole "See you at the next reunion" exchange after all the build up to the kiss. I was hoping she might become a recurring character.
Old 07-26-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Great seeing Rachel Leigh Cook in this episode, but I was surprised by the whole "See you at the next reunion" exchange after all the build up to the kiss. I was hoping she might become a recurring character.
Shawn has his eye on another ...

Rogue588, you'll drive yourself crazy if you try to apply logic to this show. Note how Guster is a fan-club-president expert on everything, from comics to spelling bees to Spanish telenovelas. Let it go and enjoy the ride.

das
Old 07-26-08, 12:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone with any info on the song playing during Shawn and Abagail's kiss?

In my search, I've found the Longpigs "On and On". But, the clip on iTunes sounds different than the version on the show. Didn't know if they redid it or the song just picks up later on, during the chorus or at the end.

Anyone with any more definitive answers?
Old 07-27-08, 12:56 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Hilarious episode. I laughed way too many times at all the Jon Hughes references.
Old 07-27-08, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great episode. Sean and Gus constantly fire on all cylinders and watching their interplay is always entertaining. This is one show I look forward to every week.
Old 07-27-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
I'm really not understanding the "timeline" for all the pop culture references. As illustrated from tonight's ep, Shawn & Gus graduated HS in 1995. That would assume that S&G were hatched around '77 or so... Tonight's episode contained multiple references to John Hughes' flicks (which came out from '84 (Sixteen Candles) - '97 (Flubber)). They were also playing "muzak" versions of Pat Benatar's "Love Is A Battlefield" and Men Without Hats' "Safety Dance" (both from '83) at the reunion. Wouldn't they be playing more Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Salt 'N Pepa, Mariah Carey, etc.?
As someone who graduated high school in 1997, I can tell you that John Hughes' flicks were a huge part of any 90's kid's pop culture. Our class's motto was a quote from Ferris Bueller's Day Off for crying out loud.

Also, I skipped my 10 year reunion, but I seem to remember some 80's songs slipping into our Prom and Homecoming dance playlists. Nirvana and Pearl Jam are good, but you can't really dance to them. "Safety Dance," however, is timeless.

Was anyone else hoping that they'd play "99 Luftballons" by Nena as Sean and Gus were carrying the body through the school hallways?
Old 07-27-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Enjoyed tonight's ep. HOWEVER..

I'm really not understanding the "timeline" for all the pop culture references. As illustrated from tonight's ep, Shawn & Gus graduated HS in 1995. That would assume that S&G were hatched around '77 or so.

During the series' run, they've made countless references regarding the 80's. Now, wouldn't it stand to reason that there would be more early 90's references?

In the Ghosts episode, there was a reference to an issue of the magazine "Dynamite" (which came out in Feb of '83) and then a Furby (which was launched in '98!). Tonight's episode contained multiple references to John Hughes' flicks (which came out from '84 (Sixteen Candles) - '97 (Flubber)). They were also playing "muzak" versions of Pat Benatar's "Love Is A Battlefield" and Men Without Hats' "Safety Dance" (both from '83) at the reunion. Wouldn't they be playing more Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Salt 'N Pepa, Mariah Carey, etc.?

Other than that small nitpick, that i'm sure would only bother me, I still like this show.
I graduated from high school in 2003. And yet, I constantly quote everything from the original "Get Smart" to "Three O' Clock High" to "Road House" to "Harvey" to "The Blues Brothers."

Being twenty-three has yet to hold me back. Why would it hold back Shawn from making various references to things beyond his years?

EDIT: Both this episode and the episode of "Monk" were, I believe, in top form. Between the David Strathairn appearance in "Monk," and the touching ending of "Psych," I was very pleased.

Last edited by invisiblegt; 07-27-08 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-27-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
I don't have a problem with the 80s references (being born in 1971 myself), but I *do* have a problem with the lack of 90s references in the show.

I can picture Shawn and Gus dressing up like 80s pop stars (in the new intro), but it seems like most of the show's pop culture references stop at 1989... just before they entered high school, which is where you'd think most of the references should come from, no?

I mean, being born in 1971, I can watch "I Love the 70s" and remember most of the stuff they talk about, but I was really too young to get into it at the time. I didn't really begin to "define" myself until 1984 or so - if I were to write my own TV show, it would therefore probably have references to 1984-1989, with the occasional shout out to 1978 thrown in for good measure.

As I see it, Gus and Shawn should have a few 80s references and a lot of 90s ones... but we're not seeing it yet.

But that's just me.
Old 07-28-08, 01:17 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaking as someone who was born in 1980, I have more nostalgia and am more pop culturally inclined for the 80's, despite "coming of age" in the 90's. I don't know why; maybe I have fonder memories of when I was a kid than when I was a teen (or maybe the 90's in general aren't all that fun to look back to, pop culturally-speaking). So seeing Gus and Shawn (who are supposed to be 3 years older than me) making 80's references doesn't seem all that weird to me.
Old 07-28-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
I don't have a problem with the 80s references (being born in 1971 myself), but I *do* have a problem with the lack of 90s references in the show.

I can picture Shawn and Gus dressing up like 80s pop stars (in the new intro), but it seems like most of the show's pop culture references stop at 1989... just before they entered high school, which is where you'd think most of the references should come from, no?

I mean, being born in 1971, I can watch "I Love the 70s" and remember most of the stuff they talk about, but I was really too young to get into it at the time. I didn't really begin to "define" myself until 1984 or so - if I were to write my own TV show, it would therefore probably have references to 1984-1989, with the occasional shout out to 1978 thrown in for good measure.

As I see it, Gus and Shawn should have a few 80s references and a lot of 90s ones... but we're not seeing it yet.

But that's just me.
So...we agree then?

And don't get me wrong...I have NO PROBLEM with the 80's references. In fact, I love 'em. I just thought they were closer to Rex's age than was recently revealed.

And das, I expect nothing but realism from Psych.
Old 07-28-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got caught up on this show last year, and already enjoying the new season. I even started a thread asking why there was no DVDTalk love for Psych, only to find this thread immediately after. I'm retarded, party-foul on my part, and glad to see there are supporters of this weird and hilarious show.

As for the ep: Fantastic episode, and much improved from last week! Sean's (I refuse to spell that name S-H-A-W-N) obsession with all things 80's continues to kill me, as does Gus's rose-colored memory and narcissism (the bits of tape showing all of his pep-squad captaining had me in stitches).

RLC was nice to see pop up (and was looking rather cute), although it was abruptly ended. I thought they were going to work a love-triangle there for a while, but evidently not. Feels a bit false after the "moments" conversation with his dad.

Originally Posted by sb5
Speaking as someone who was born in 1980, I have more nostalgia and am more pop culturally inclined for the 80's, despite "coming of age" in the 90's. I don't know why; maybe I have fonder memories of when I was a kid than when I was a teen (or maybe the 90's in general aren't all that fun to look back to, pop culturally-speaking). So seeing Gus and Shawn (who are supposed to be 3 years older than me) making 80's references doesn't seem all that weird to me.
Totally agree, and I was born in 82. Even though at this point, I've spent more of my life in the 90s than any other decade, for some reason it's the 80's that I most strongly associate with/remember.

-Doc
Old 07-28-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the show is moving a bit too much into the comedy realm. I enjoy the mysteries and Shawn using his "pyschic" abilities but those aspects seem to be getting pushed further and further onto the back burner to make way for Shawn's other antics.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.