ABC Announces 2008 Fall Premiere Dates

Old 07-16-08, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABC Announces 2008 Fall Premiere Dates

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20080716abc01

[07.16.08 - 09:28 AM]
ABC ANNOUNCES FALL PREMIERE DATES
Released by ABC

[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABC ANNOUNCES FALL PREMIERE DATES

Fall premiere dates for the 2008-2009 season were announced today for the ABC Television Network by Stephen McPherson, president, ABC Entertainment.

"We are very excited about the return of our core group of shows from last Fall. They dominated for us, and it will be great to see viewers reconnect," said Mr. McPherson. "We are building momentum for our two new shows, 'Opportunity Knocks' and 'Life on Mars,' and are thrilled by their tremendous potential."

ABC primetime fall premiere dates are as follows:

Friday, September 19

10:00-11:00 p.m. "20/20"

Monday, September 22

8:00-10:00 p.m. "Dancing with the Stars" (special two-hour performance show premiere)

10:00-11:00 p.m. "Boston Legal"

Tuesday, September 23

8:00-9:00 p.m. "Opportunity Knocks" (new series debut)

9:00-11:00 p.m. "Dancing with the Stars" (special performance show)

Wednesday, September 24

8:00-9:00 p.m. "Dancing with the Stars Results Show Special" (special day and time)

9:00-11:00 p.m. "David Blaine Special"

Thursday, September 25

8:00-9:00 p.m. "Ugly Betty"

9:00-11:00 p.m. "Grey's Anatomy" (special two-hour season premiere)

Sunday, September 28

7:00-9:00 p.m. "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" (two-hour season premiere)

9:00-10:00 p.m. "Desperate Housewives"

10:00-11:00 p.m. "Brothers & Sisters"

Tuesday, September 30

9:00-10:00 p.m. "Dancing with the Stars Result Show" (regular day and time period premiere)

Wednesday, October 1

8:00-9:00 p.m. "Pushing Daisies"

9:00-10:00 p.m. "Private Practice"

10:00-11:00 p.m. "Dirty Sexy Money"

Friday, October 3

8:00-9:00 p.m. "Wife Swap"

9:00-10:00 p.m. "Supernanny"

Sunday, October 5

7:00-8:00 p.m. "America's Funniest Home Videos"

8:00-9:00 p.m. "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" (regular time period premiere)

Monday, October 6

9:30-10:00 p.m. "Samantha Who?"

Thursday, October 9

9:00-10:00 p.m. "Grey's Anatomy" (regular time period premiere)

10:00-11:00 p.m. "Life on Mars" (new series debut)

Tuesday, October 14

10:00-11:00 p.m. "Eli Stone"
Chris
Old 07-16-08, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just give me LOST. Every other ABC show is terrible.
Old 07-16-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sure to watch:

"Brothers & Sisters"
"Pushing Daisies"
"Dirty Sexy Money"

Giving a Chance:

"Life on Mars"

The rest can take a dive.
Old 07-16-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
On the agenda:

Boston Legal
Grey's Anatomy
Desperate Housewives
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Brothers and Sisters
Dirty Sexy Money
Ugly Betty

Will try:
Life of Mars

Waiting Patiently:
Lost

I may or may not pick up Eli Stone again. I watched 2-3 episodes of season 1, but just didn't have to time to finish it up. But I read alot of good buzz on here, so we'll see.
Old 07-16-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Gotchya, pushing daisies = october 1
Old 07-16-08, 12:28 PM

Spoilerized just in case you didn't watch last seasons finale!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080716/...ousewives_dc_1

Desperate Housewives news!

Spoiler:
"Housewives" kids grow up and get recast

By Kimberly Nordyke and Nellie Andreeva
Wed Jul 16, 1:00 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - With "Desperate Housewives" jumping ahead five years for its upcoming fifth season, four newcomers have stepped in to play the kids of Lynette and Tom Scavo (Felicity Huffman and Doug Savant).

Joshua Moore is set to play Parker, the oldest son. Charles and Max Carver will play trouble-making twins Porter and Preston, respectively, and Kendall Applegate has signed on as Penny, the youngest child and only daughter.

In last season's finale, the ABC soap surprised viewers when it jumped ahead five years. The three sons will now be teenagers, while the daughter is around 8 or 9 years old. The kids previously were played by Zane Huett (Parker), Shane and Brent Kinsman (Porter and Preston) and Darien and Kerstin Pinkerton (Penny).

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Chris
Old 07-16-08, 04:36 PM

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...&cs=1&nid=2565

Posted: Wed., Jul. 16, 2008, 11:55am PT
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Also during the McPherson's press tour sesh, the exec confirmed that he's looking at ways to keep "Scrubs" on the air beyond this year, potentially with new cast members.

"There's still an opportunity for growth there," he said. "It will not hopefully be a one season situation."

McPherson noted that ABC is still adjusting to the impact of the WGA strike - it's still producing pilots, after all, with an eye toward screening the projects in late August and making series orders after that.

With just two new shows on the air this fall, Alphabet will be able to spend more marketing dollars on returning skeins, McPherson added. As it has the past few years, ABC will continue to strategically put promo money behind shows that could benefit the most.

"We'll make Sunday and 'Desperate Housewives' a priority for fall - that wouldn't be the case if we had a lot of new shows," he said. Also, among the two new series, "'Opportunity Knocks' will get a little more than 'Life on Mars,' which has a more protected slot."

Also, McPherson said the net may be able to air extra episodes of several series this season, as shows such as "Pushing Daisies" didn't return to the air post-strike but started banking segs.

As for rumors that "Grey's Anatomy" star Katherine Heigl may be departing the show (after voicing frustration over her character's story arc last year), McPherson said the thesp is still committed to the series this season.

"It's unfortunate when there's any kind of turmoil on a show," he said. "So many people work unbelievably hard to make that show the No. 1 show in the country... She's absolutely staying with the show, there's an unbelievable storyline for her, central to everything going on this season."

Meanwhile, ABC is talking to "Wipeout" producer Endemol about ordering additional episodes of the summer hit. McPherson said he'd ideally like to keep the show in the summer as an off-season franchise.

"We're going to try to resist the temptation to just burn things out," he said.

ABC also announced its premiere dates Wednesday. Net bows premiere week, starting Monday, Sept. 22, with a two-hour "Dancing with the Stars" followed by "Boston Legal" at 10 p.m. Monday laffer "Samantha Who?" returns two weeks later, on Oct. 6.

Tuesdays are back Sept. 23 with the frosh reality entry "Opportunity Knocks" and a two-hour "Dancing"special; the "Dancing" results hour returns on Sept. 30, while "Eli Stone" slides into its 10 p.m. slot on Oct. 14.

Alphabet will stick with specials on Wednesday during premiere week, with a one-time Wednesday "Dancing" results show and an event starring David Blaine. The night's "Pushing Daisies," "Private Practice" and "Dirty Sexy Money" are back on Oct. 1.

On Thursday, Sept. 25, "Ugly Betty" returns at 8 p.m., followed by a two-hour "Grey's Anatomy." "Grey's" shrinks to one hour on Oct. 9, making way for new drama "Life on Mars" at 10 p.m.

"Wife Swap" and "Supernanny" launch new episodes on Friday, Oct. 3, joining newsmag "20/20," which actually starts its new season on Sept. 19.

Then there's Sunday, which is back on Sept. 28 with a two-hour "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," followed by "Desperate Housewives" and "Brothers & Sisters." The following week, "America's Funniest Home Videos" is back at 7 p.m.
Chris
Old 07-16-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Also during the McPherson's press tour sesh, the exec confirmed that he's looking at ways to keep "Scrubs" on the air beyond this year, potentially with new cast members.
That sounds good to me, as long as they can keep up the quality.
Old 07-16-08, 05:04 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080716/tv_nm/holmes_dc_1

Katie Holmes returning to TV in ABC's "Eli Stone"
2 hours, 10 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actress Katie Holmes will make a guest appearance on ABC's critically acclaimed "Eli Stone" this season, returning to U.S. network television in a role that will feature her singing and dancing, network executives said on Wednesday.

Holmes, 29, who is married to film star Tom Cruise, is due to shoot the guest spot before she makes her Broadway debut this fall in a revival of Arthur Miller's "All My Sons," alongside Dianne Wiest and John Lithgow.

ABC Entertainment President Stephen McPherson, speaking to a gathering of reporters, said Holmes had wanted to reunite with "Eli Stone" executive producer Greg Berlanti, with whom she worked on "Dawson's Creek," the TV teen drama that made Holmes famous in the late 1990s.

"It's a really special piece of business," McPherson said. "Greg came to me with the idea because he really had a creative way to do it. And he and Katie wanted to get back together and do something."

McPherson also acknowledged that bringing Holmes to "Eli Stone" would assist promotional efforts for an offbeat drama that won critical praise but drew modest ratings in its first season.

"It's a great role for her," McPherson said. "There is some singing and dancing she does. And she's exquisite."

Earlier this year, she co-starred with Diane Keaton and Queen Latifah in comedy "Mad Money," her first film since Cruise and Holmes' daughter, Suri, was born in April 2006. She and Cruise married in November of that year.

Reuters/Nielsen
It will be interesting to see how much her acting has changed since she joined that 'cult'.

Chris
Old 07-16-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Private Practice
Grey's Anatomy
Samantha Who

Is all I'm really looking forward to. I just don't think I have it in me to stomach Boston Legal anymore unless they're doing another big cast swap. The cast last season was horrible IMO.
Old 07-16-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JPRaup
Just give me LOST. Every other ABC show is terrible.

Agreed, I don't like many of their shows other than LOST, but Pushing Daisies is great. I'm looking forward to that one coming back. It might be the best show to watch in HD. It loses a lot in standard definition in my opinion.
Old 07-16-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I probably watch more, not including sports, on ABC than any other broadcast network.

DWTS
Boston Legal
Ugly Betty
Desperate Housewives
Dirty Sexy Money
Lost

I'll check out Life on Mars since I watched the original.
Old 08-07-08, 12:06 PM

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-ab...,4317288.story

It's Pilot Season at ABC
'Castle,' 'Never Better' among contenders for midseason

August 6, 2008

Nathan Fillion

ABC's delayed pilot season will come to a head in the next few weeks, and several shows are picking up buzz as screenings roll around.

A couple of dramas, including the Nathan Fillion crime show "The Castle" and Rob Thomas' "Good Behavior," and comedies from Victor Fresco and Damon Wayans are reportedly strong contenders for pickup, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Most of the shows being considered now would join the schedule early next year, although one or two could debut before the end of 2008.

The writers' strike forced changes to the development cycle across the TV landscape, with some networks opting to go straight to series with several projects -- NBC in particular went with that strategy -- and others doing shorter presentations. ABC decided to do full pilots for most of its shows but delayed the process until the summer.

"The Castle" stars Fillion ("Firefly,""Desperate Housewives") as a novelist who consults with the NYPD. "Good Behavior," from "Veronica Mars" creator Thomas, stars Catherine O'Hara as the matriarch of a law-breaking family who wants her kids to go legit. The "Hamlet"-inspired drama "Prince of Motor City" might also have a chance.

Fresco's untitled comedy about a moral man (Jay Harrington) who works for an amoral corporation is considered a good bet -- particularly since ABC Studios just signed Fresco ("Andy Richter Controls the Universe") to a new deal. "Never Better," starring Wayans as a recovering alcoholic, and an Alyssa Milano vehicle by writer Kristin Newman ("That '70s Show," "How I Met Your Mother") have some buzz as well.

ABC is launching only two new shows in the fall: the drama "Life on Mars" and game show "Opportunity Knocks." Animated comedy "The Goode Family" and NBC import "Scrubs" are on deck for midseason.
Chris
Old 08-07-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow...for the first time I can ever remember, I won't be watching a single show on a network. Well, until LOST anyway.

Very sad. TV is going downhill, fast.
Old 08-07-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
"The Castle" stars Fillion ("Firefly,""Desperate Housewives") as a novelist who consults with the NYPD.
Murder, He Wrote
Old 08-07-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I'll be watching Pushing Daisies and Eli Stone, and my wife will be watching all the dancing shows, so between us the TV will be on ABC a lot.
Old 08-07-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by valkyrie
Wow...for the first time I can ever remember, I won't be watching a single show on a network. Well, until LOST anyway.

Well probably only for you. That's a pretty biased statement. All you had to say was that I only watch Lost and nothing else interests me.

ABC probably has some of the most watched and most talked about shows on this forum.
Old 08-07-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I'll be watching the following shows:
- Pushing Daisies
- Ugly Betty
- Lost
Old 08-07-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Grey's, Eli and LOST when it comes back.
Old 08-07-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lost, of course.

And Funniest Videos. Yep, I still like that show, been watching since the beginning.

Definitely going to give Life on Mars a try.
Old 08-07-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like a lot:

Pushing Daisies
Dirty Sexy Money
Desperate Housewives (I admit it, although it did lose its way for a while)
Lost (of course)

Can watch but don't like that much:

Grey's Anatomy
Boston legal

Sampled a little last year:

Samantha Who (I watched some reruns during the strike and it wasn't so bad; however, sitcoms generally suck these days and I probably won't bother)
Old 08-07-08, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by movielib
Samantha Who (I watched some reruns during the strike and it wasn't so bad; however, sitcoms generally suck these days and I probably won't bother)
Samantha Who started off with a nice edge to it and was quite funny. But towards the end it became like every other generic sitcom that's on.

Chris
Old 08-07-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by valkyrie

I don't watch Lost, and I could not tell you the last time I watched a show on this network. I tend to stay away from it, not my cup of tea.
Old 08-07-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watch "Desperate Housewives," "Grey's Anatomy," "Private Practice," and "Brothers and Sisters" on broadcast while leaving "Lost" and "Ugly Betty" for DVD. I also plan on catching "Pushing Daisies," "Dirty Sexy Money," and "Samantha Who" for DVD as well.
Old 08-07-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Patiently waiting for Dancing with the Lost Desperate Housewives for Dirty Sexy Money.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.