Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

New Oppo DV-981HD UpConvert DVD Players on Woot

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Oppo DV-981HD UpConvert DVD Players on Woot

The Oppo DV-981HD UpConvert DVD Player is pretty much one of the greatest DVD players ever made. They've been selling for $220 and I've never seen them on sale before tonight - Woot.com is selling them for $99.99
Old 07-16-08, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great deal! Thanks for the post.
Here are some links for those of you interested:
http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/
http://reviews.cnet.com/video-player...-32327927.html
Old 07-16-08, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Oppo's supposed to be coming out with a Blu-Ray player soon. That might be the one I end up getting, since I don't want to have a separate upconverting machine for region-coded DVDs.
Old 07-16-08, 04:54 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
just an FYI for those (like me) with a DLP TV set:

From Oppo Customer Service:

"DLP technology is traditionally susceptible to macroblocking due to the low bit-depth, contrast and brightness ratios. DLP displays primarily use 8-bit processing and an 8-bit PWM scheme on the DMD mirrors, and out of box, most DLPs do not fully utilize their entire range of digital bits (steps between black and white). For this reason, without proper calibration using professional grade calibration discs such as AVIA or DVE, DLP displays will enhance macroblocking and false-contouring errors.

Because DLP displays are macroblock enhancing, we would not recommend the use of the OPDV971H or DV-981HD on DLP displays, as the OPDV971H and DV-981HD will macroblock enhance as well. We would recommend the DV-970HD and DV-980H for DLP displays as they will produce the cleanest, most macroblock free picture on your large screen display."
Old 07-16-08, 06:06 AM

Thanks! Placed an order, but...it's still 'processing' from woot so it's still up in the air whether I'll actually successfully complete an order for one. Glad I saw this though as I don't usually check woot.com on a daily basis.

Last edited by Super56K; 07-16-08 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-16-08, 07:35 AM

is woot.com reliable? have not heard about them before?

thanks.
Old 07-16-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are oppo's all region players?
Old 07-16-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can hack it to make it region free.... and by this I mean just pushing a set of keys on the remote and choosing 0 as the Region.

Super56K:
I waited for about an hour and eventually gave up waiting for confirmation from their site. Just got an email saying the order went through so you don't necessarily have to wait for it to finish up.

Last edited by terminator911; 07-16-08 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-16-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tsetse27
is woot.com reliable? have not heard about them before?

thanks.
They're a giant
Old 07-16-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...and their sold out
Old 07-16-08, 09:03 AM

Thanks djskyler. I just happened to up late on the Left Coast and saw your post. I noted that the Woot server was getting pounded and after an hour of waiting, hit the sack. I woke up this morning to the happy e-mail confirming my purchase. I've been looking for a great up-converting player, since Blue Ray is a couple of years in our future both DVD and player-wise at our household. It's been a long time since I've attended a woot-off, and I rarely check their site out. Thanks again.

Last edited by HOSALE; 07-16-08 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-16-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to wait until this morning to get my confirmation also.

Thanks OP!
Old 07-16-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe

"DLP technology is traditionally susceptible to macroblocking due to the low bit-depth, contrast and brightness ratios. DLP displays primarily use 8-bit processing and an 8-bit PWM scheme on the DMD mirrors, and out of box, most DLPs do not fully utilize their entire range of digital bits (steps between black and white). For this reason, without proper calibration using professional grade calibration discs such as AVIA or DVE, DLP displays will enhance macroblocking and false-contouring errors.

Because DLP displays are macroblock enhancing, we would not recommend the use of the OPDV971H or DV-981HD on DLP displays, as the OPDV971H and DV-981HD will macroblock enhance as well. We would recommend the DV-970HD and DV-980H for DLP displays as they will produce the cleanest, most macroblock free picture on your large screen display."
Thank you very much for the post. I have a DLP TV and have been thinking about ordering an Oppo in the next month or so. I'll definitely have to keep this in mind.

Have you used a professional-grade calibration disc? I'm not sure if I would even know where to begin!
Old 07-16-08, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
They're a giant
Thanks! ordered one...
Old 07-16-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
that's a very good deal. these are hardly ever available below MSRP.
Old 07-16-08, 01:19 PM

Managed to snag one early this morning and finally got my confirmation!

Wonderful price for something I've wanted for a long time. Thank you djskyler!
Old 07-16-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

man, if I had known it was easily hackable to be all region earlier I would have jumped on this
Old 07-16-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, i read that review and it mentions the "hack" that you can do. The good review coupled with trusted DVD Talk member's recommendations convinced me to go ahead and buy it.
Old 07-16-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Far and away the best DVD player for any non-DLP TV. Unlocking the region lock is laughable about how easy it is, and I have never seen such an intuitive menu. Plus it pretty much plays everything other then HD DVDs and BR. I used to rock two in my house (one for the HT and one for the main TV) but sold one for an awesome price.
Old 07-16-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm glad I didn't see this because I may not have been able to resist, however good this deal may be.
Old 07-16-08, 02:48 PM

Wow. That was a great deal. I should have checked the forums earlier.
Old 07-16-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome deal. I've had a 971 for over 3 years now and it get's so much use, I bought this as a backup! Plus i might be getting a 1080P display soon, so that'll warrant an upgrade right there.
Old 07-17-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
There is 1 other known issue with the Oppo's, which Oppo refreshingly admits to: They are said to have some motion jitter issues with discs burned on standalone set top dvd recorders.

I have several Phillips 727's which have a similar issue. On standalone authored discs, motion will intermittently & very BRIEFLY start & stop. It's quite quick (I don't perceive a full stop, just jittery motion), but it's really annoying.

Here's the actual quote from Oppo:

"Compatibility with user-encoded contents or user-created discs is on a best effort basis with no guarantee due to the variation of media, software and techniques used. For example, Discs recorded on some stand-alone DVD recorders or DVD camcorders may not exhibit smooth playback."

A couple years back I emailed oppo & they confirmed that this is indeed an issue with their products.

That's why I chose a Pioneer universal player rather then the Oppo. My understanding is that if you NEVER play set top burned discs (or if you don't mind the motion issues) the Oppo is superior in all other ways to the Pioneer (which is quite good).
Old 07-17-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question about region free DVDs: I have a couple DVDs from the UK, and bought a cheapie DVD player at Target because you could make it region free. The UK discs play, but really poor quality (blurring, random stops). Is this to be expected? Or if I was to buy an Oppo, would they play just like they would if I bought them in the US, with no discernible downgrade in quality? Thanks.
Old 07-17-08, 12:18 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe

Hmmm, that's interesting. I've got a 61" LED DLP that I use with a DV-981 and it transmits a near-HD experience (depending on the source material). I've got (3) other upconverting players and none of them even comes close to the Oppo. It seriously rivals BluRay (which I also have). The region-free ability is a nice bonus, too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.