Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for upgrading my Denon Receiver...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about upgrading/replacing either my Denon AVR-3805 receiver , or my Denon AVR-2805 receiver - primarily because neither of these particular units have any HDMI inputs (as they are about 4 years old now).

I was hoping that someone might be able to provide some good suggestions for me to consider in purchasing a replacement receiver for either of these two units...

Ideally, I am looking for a receiver that would offer the following:

* Either 2-zones (to replace the AVR-2805 unit) or 3-zones to replace the AVR-3805 unit)
* Multiple HDMI inputs
* and perhaps most importantly, one that wouldn't cost thousands and thousands of dollars...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
Old 07-14-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't downgrade your sound, the Denon 3xxx series is very nice. But if you want 2 or 3 zones of surround sound, you better get used to the idea of several units or several thousand bucks for one unit.

Personally, I want to switch to separates. I'm looking at the Integra DTC-9.8 and I'll keep my current receiver as an amp til I can afford an amp.
Old 07-14-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree as any "better" replacement will cost "thousands and thousands of dollars..."

I am hanging on to my Yamaha RX-V1 for as long as I can
Old 07-14-08, 10:33 AM

Well we have the 3808 and it's a great AVR. You can get it for a good price on some on-line authorized web sites . It can easily replace your 3805 .
If your looking for a even better one I would agree with Spiky,Integra is very very nice product. They have a AVR that pretty much has what the 9.8 has but has the amp's with it. The 8.8 cost a bit more than the 3808 though . I'm trying to figure a way to get out of my 3808 and into the 8.8 . Integra does not do on-line sales at all! Integra doesn't run any where near as HOT as the Onkyo brand and IMO sound a lot nicer. When auditioned the 875 it was so hot that had I kept my hand on it much longer(had my hand on top for approx 6 secs I would have literally burned my hand and that was on an open shelf. Just my two cents on this
Old 07-14-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, before we get into that discussion, I will mention that the current 8xxx and higher series from Onkyo/Integra are identical in internals. Same DACs and whatnot. And the Onkyos now have all the same CI features that used to be Integra-only.

I am a little annoyed that the preamp has the HQV Reon chip, meanwhile the Denon 3808 has the better Realta. But Denon doesn't make a preamp version. And, of course, the receiver doesn't have balanced preouts. So you can almost get really awesome for less than $2000 MSRP, but not quite.

The Onkyo/Integra preamp basically is the only one available so far. (yeah, I know Denon has one....got $7500? I don't) I am trying to find details on the Emotiva that runs $700, but it is late shipping and I don't think anything has been leaked.