Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Generation Kill discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Generation Kill discussion thread

The first episode of this airs tonight at 9PM EST on HBO and runs for the next six Sundays.

In the northern desert of Kuwait, First Recon Marines prepare to invade Iraq as the "tip of the spear" for Operation Iraqi Freedom. At the Camp Mathilda staging ground, soldiers in First Recon's Bravo Company combat boredom, cramped tents, a lack of Humvee supplies, mustache protocol, officer ineptitude, a wind storm, an espresso machine fire, and rumors of J-Lo's death while awaiting orders from Col. Stephen "Godfather" Ferrando, the raspy-throated Commander of First Recon. They also welcome a writer ("Scribe") from Rolling Stone magazine, who'll be embedded with Bravo's five-vehicle Platoon 2 unit, riding in a Humvee with Team Leader Brad "Iceman" Colbert, driver Ray Person, and Lance Cpl. Harold Trombley. After an unexpected (and portentous) mass delivery of pizza, the soldiers finally break camp, pack up their Humvees, and cross the northern border into Iraq--and an uncertain future. Widescreen. (TVMA) (AC,AL,BN,V)
Old 07-13-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wanted to watch this, but I can't really justify adding HBO right now. There are no other shows on right now I want to see, so financially it probably makes more sense to just wait for the dvds.
Old 07-13-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Luckily, TWC fucked up and to fix it they gave me 3 free months of HBO so Im looking forward to this.
Old 07-13-08, 06:53 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I plan on tuning in...
Old 07-13-08, 07:01 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i can't wait

there's no way this can't be great
Old 07-13-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Playing a little Call of Duty right now to get me in the mood.
Old 07-13-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Pretty good stuff so far. Mostly build up. Definitely has a Wire feel in terms of many different characters to keep track of.

Will keep watching this for sure.
Old 07-13-08, 09:38 PM

Yeah, I think the set-up is promising. I'll continue to tune in next week...
Old 07-13-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Pretty good stuff so far. Mostly build up. Definitely has a Wire feel in terms of many different characters to keep track of.

Will keep watching this for sure.
I have it Tivoed so I'll be checking it out tomorrow with breakfast. on the Wire comparison. Makes me even more excited.
Old 07-14-08, 12:04 AM

after serving 8 yrs in the USMC (got out before the current mess) and having been to the middle east 3 times, all i can say is that this show is spot on. same as the wire, i am a police officer and have been since i got out of the Marines and that show was a real as it can get for television. hats off the writers, producers, and most of all to HBO for showing how the shit really is.
Old 07-14-08, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was pretty impressed, especially considering it was an intro episode with not a whole hell of a lot of action going on. I figured it would at least be decent, with Burns and Simon behind it, but you never know how things are going to go.
Old 07-14-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good first episode. Like The Wire, it sets up a lot and leaves you wondering what's next. Looking forward to next weekend. James Ransone (Ziggy from the Wire) is a lot less annoying in this show, so hats off to him for making an endearing character. It was also good to see Benjamin Busch (Officer Colicchio from the Wire) in the background with that smirk of his.

This is going to be a great show.

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 07-14-08 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-14-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I saw a lot of similarities between the military brass and the police brass. I look forward to next week. Has anyone here read the book? I was thinking of picking it up.
Old 07-14-08, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by dyerjp
after serving 8 yrs in the USMC (got out before the current mess) and having been to the middle east 3 times, all i can say is that this show is spot on.
I read an article in Rolling Stone a few weeks ago, and they said that there were a bunch of Marines (including the one who wrote the book, I think) present during the filming to help keep it realistic.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. I'm a little bummed out that its only a miniseries, because I was hoping there would be a new, great HBO drama after the demise of the Sopranos, the Wire, and John From Cincinnati.
Old 07-14-08, 03:47 PM
Suspended

just finished watching the first episode

awesome

a ton of great actors in this

i always like it when Tobias Beecher (Lee Tergesen) shows up in anything

the part about Charms candy confused me but i looked it up and damn if that isn't true to life

huh!
Old 07-14-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

David Simon and Evan Wright did an interview with talk of the nation.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=91846806
Old 07-15-08, 11:59 AM
Suspended

when the one guy is getting chewed out about his mustache and the other dude walks by goosestepping with his arm sticking straight out, i laughed my ass off

this show has a great mix of drama and humor

also the part where they were reading the grade school kid's letter was hilarious yet disturbing
Old 07-21-08, 10:04 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I got around to watching the first episode last night - I was laughing my ass off... What else do you expect when you put a group of 18-20 yrolds in a summer camp environment!

these guys are not GI Joe - but like a frat with guns
Old 07-21-08, 11:48 AM

Caught the first ep. last night. Loved it. As An4h0ny said, there's a great mix of drama and humor. Impressive that only after an hour's worth of show, I'm already really intrigued by some of the characters, including the perfectly cast "Godfather", Colbert, and Person (I lol'd when he put on his gold shades when driving past the "hot" Iraqi women). Also like that Tergesen's role is so minor...this really is a story about the men he wrote about, not himself.

Great show so far...and light years better than Over There (which I also enjoyed).
Old 07-21-08, 12:24 PM

Solid second episode last night -- very impressed with how this is playing out.
Old 07-21-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
This show is The Wire version of the military. And it also reflects exactly how my military friends are. This series so far is excellent and I must pick up the book.
Old 07-21-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another great episode. I like how things are going, and I feel that it's too bad this isn't a full-blown series. I will definitely be buying the eventual DVD set if this continues it's level of excellence.
Old 07-21-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I definitely wish this was a full blown series. I already find myself dreading the end, and there are still 5 eps to go, I believe.
Old 07-21-08, 04:37 PM

That 'head shot' was about as realistic as they come. It sent shivers down my spine and I like how the marksman was very subdued after that, while his friends were all happy about it. Killing someone at 200 yards or so has to still affect the psyche!

Chris
Old 07-21-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That "Captain America" schmuck is just unreal. I can't wait to see what happens with him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.