Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Flashpoint----New Series---now on Thursday (CBS)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Flashpoint

Looks like an interesting new action series. It stars Enrico Colantoni, who some of you remember as Veronica Mars' Dad and Amy Jo Johnson from Felicity. I believe this show was shot entirely in Toronto and is based on a Canadian Law Enforcement agency.

Synopsis for "Scorpio"

Spoiler:

In the series opener, a police unit specializing in emergency situations responds when a woman is taken hostage outside an office building by a gunman who just murdered his estranged wife. The situation intensifies when the man's tearful son arrives on the scene.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B478uVARKQg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B478uVARKQg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by DJariya; 07-24-08 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-11-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
I watched it out of curiosity, not anticipating much, and it didn't disappoint low expectations. Run-of-the-mill well-produced piffle with an only-in-showbiz pretty cast of virile, lantern-jawed men and perky, painted women spouting witty and tough repartee while masquerading as cops. Sadly but predictably interchangable with dozens of contemporary law enforcement/lawyer/doctor shows churned out by American TV. I'll pass.
Old 07-12-08, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I watched it out of curiosity, not anticipating much, and it didn't disappoint low expectations. Run-of-the-mill well-produced piffle with an only-in-showbiz pretty cast of virile, lantern-jawed men and perky, painted women spouting witty and tough repartee while masquerading as cops. Sadly but predictably interchangable with dozens of contemporary law enforcement/lawyer/doctor shows churned out by American TV. I'll pass.
Correction, this is a Canadian production, churned out by CTV, shot in your neck of the woods in Toronto.
Old 07-12-08, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Correction, this is a Canadian production, churned out by CTV, shot in your neck of the woods in Toronto.
I know, but my point is it virtually indistinguishable from the style and feel of any modern American cop show. Frankly, I didn't expect anything better from a network as deeply corporatized as CTV.
I was not maligning U.S. TV in particular. Canadian TV programming, what little there is, generally stinks too.
Old 07-12-08, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I caught about 30 minutes of this, by mistake I suppose. I found something intriguing, but also couldn't help thinking it was really bad. I felt like it could be okay, but too much of it seemed fake. The way the team walked around in a lazy manner especially felt off. I think the guy on the roof was the most interesting, but the others - especially Pink Ranger - were flat.
Old 07-12-08, 09:13 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I thought it rocked........ VERY stylish...... like a one hour Tony Scott flick....... I'm hooked, at least until next week.
Old 07-12-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I knew they were using Canadian actors because 2 of them kept saying "PRO-cess" instead of the more Americanized version "Prah-cess".
Old 07-12-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Over abundance of silent head shots. Back and forth until someone utters a couple words. I stilled thought it was good and will follow it.
Old 07-12-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
At least it's not a rerun or reality show.

It was OK and I'll give it a couple of more chances, but it isn't "must see" TV.
Old 07-13-08, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk God

I thought it was a decent pilot to get the show started. Enrico Colantoni had some good charisma as Parker and I thought the hostage negotiation scene was pretty tense and well shot. I agree with the above statement that it felt somewhat like a Tony Scott movie.

I was puzzled why Ed got so emotional and choked up about taking out that lunatic. Granted, he almost shot his son, but isn't he supposed to be a highly trained marksman who keeps those types of emotions away from this type of crisis.

That was really my only issue with the episode. I did like that they focused on only one situation and the tactics to resolve unlike alot of procedurals that have multiple cases going on the same time.

It's got 12 more episodes left, I'm sure the characters will eventually grow on me. But, it's a decent start.

I read that it got 8.13M viewers for it's premiere, which is pretty solid for a summer show and on a Friday night too!
Old 07-13-08, 08:28 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
The first episode is re-airing tonight (SUNDAY) @ 10pm on CBS...

It really is VERY stylistic brain candy... worth at least a tivoing, eh?
Old 07-13-08, 12:38 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Too bad the show is on CBS otherwise I would watch it.
Old 07-13-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Too bad the show is on CBS otherwise I would watch it.
Oh God, your still bitter about Moonlight aren't you? I liked Mick, Beth and company just as much as you, but it was a business decision by them and there wasn't enough fans to keep it on the air. Boycotting a network for one show that really only had a cult following is silly IMO. Plus, episode 16 worked as a series finale...no cliffhanger, Mick and Beth ended up together. If you really want to support them, wait for the DVD which I heard is being made with lots of extras. Then you can re-live it as often as you want.

Anyways, I would recommend trying this show, but if you want to keep your silly boycott then that's your choice.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-13-08 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-13-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
The first episode is re-airing tonight (SUNDAY) @ 10pm on CBS...

It really is VERY stylistic brain candy... worth at least a tivoing, eh?
It's worth DVRing to see if you like it or not.
Old 07-13-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was bored out of my mind the first 30 minutes. It made me remember that I always hate hostage situation episodes of just about every other show that inevitably does them. However, I was pleasantly surprised when they resolved the situation at the midway point of the episode and I liked where it went to after that. You never see the aftereffects of a situation like that and I thought that was very interesting and realistic that that they showed what happened.
Old 07-13-08, 05:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Oh God, your still bitter about Moonlight aren't you? I liked Mick, Beth and company just as much as you, but it was a business decision by them and there wasn't enough fans to keep it on the air. Boycotting a network for one show that really only had a cult following is silly IMO. Plus, episode 16 worked as a series finale...no cliffhanger, Mick and Beth ended up together. If you really want to support them, wait for the DVD which I heard is being made with lots of extras. Then you can re-live it as often as you want.

Anyways, I would recommend trying this show, but if you want to keep your silly boycott then that's your choice.
Sorry, won't watch CBS. They chose to cancel a show that received decent ratings, cheap to produce, and had good WOM. Pass. The network is dead to me.
Old 07-13-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry, won't watch CBS. They chose to cancel a show that received decent ratings, cheap to produce, and had good WOM. Pass. The network is dead to me.

So what network do you watch? That pretty much sums up a move every network has made in the past few years.
Old 07-13-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No kidding, he'll be running out of networks to watch (for free) pretty soon...
Old 07-13-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by clemente
So what network do you watch? That pretty much sums up a move every network has made in the past few years.
Exactly.

I'm going to Tivo the repeat tonight.
Old 07-13-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk God

TV shows come and go all the time. It's a business. Okay so your bitter because you loved that you, but it's just one show out of the hundreds that are made every year. If NBC or ABC one day cancels your favorite show(s) will those networks be dead to you too??

Last edited by DJariya; 07-13-08 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-13-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well said.

This is why I rarely watch ANY police drama and this has only re-inforced my conviction.
Old 07-14-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Well said.

This is why I rarely watch ANY police drama and this has only re-inforced my conviction.
Same here. I'm basically down to watching only documentaries, newsmagazines, court shows, and the odd food-related "reality" show. "The Office" is probably the only fiction show I watch regularly.
I think my most fervent objection to almost all modern TV fiction is the bimbos and himbos - or at least matinee idols, whatever their intelligence - the networks (and, for cinema, film studios) perpetuate as an image of what the populace at large should emulate. I have no interest in seeing a cast full of these synthetic people, not because I'm unattractive and wracked with envy, but because I don't like the supremacy of appearance over all else in popular culture. /rant over
Old 07-14-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Same here. I'm basically down to watching only documentaries, newsmagazines, court shows, and the odd food-related "reality" show. "The Office" is probably the only fiction show I watch regularly.
I think my most fervent objection to almost all modern TV fiction is the bimbos and himbos - or at least matinee idols, whatever their intelligence - the networks (and, for cinema, film studios) perpetuate as an image of what the populace at large should emulate. I have no interest in seeing a cast full of these synthetic people, not because I'm unattractive and wracked with envy, but because I don't like the supremacy of appearance over all else in popular culture. /rant over
I don't know why you are so bitter about this? So what are you waiting for, a procedural drama about a forensic Botanist? My Goodness it's Hollywood, it's the nature of the business to cast good looking people to play doctors, law enforcement, husbands and wives. That's how they get people to watch them and how they attract male and female fans to talk about them in forums like these. I think your being way too judgemental thinking that every single drama is "fake" or "synthetic" as you deem. There is alot of quality fictional programming out there that doesn't necessarily use "beautiful" people or your ridiculous terminology "bimbos/himbos" as leads.

For me, Television is escapism from real life. I want to come home relax, watch an exiciting action drama like this or a compelling family drama. And even though it sounds superficial, I like to see good looking woman on the dramas that I choose to watch. Don't get me wrong, I still watch some non-fictional programming as well, but for the most part I want to have a good time watching TV and I like stuff that is visually stimulating.

Whatever, it's your choice. I'm puzzled about why you even bothered watching and commenting about this show if you are so bitter/dis-enchanted with Hollywood?

Last edited by DJariya; 07-14-08 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-14-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm puzzled about why you even bothered watching and commenting about this show if you are so bitter/dis-enchanted with Hollywood?
I only half-heartedly watched because the show was cursorily touted in the entertainment pages up here as a rare Canadian production to be sold to networks south of the border. I otherwise wouldn't have even taken notice of it in the TV guide.
You and millions of others may not be bothered by the image being pushed by the entertainment industry, and that's fine, but I find it irritating. I'm not some stodgy fossil who smokes a pipe and only watches WWII docs. Escapism need not be phony and formulaic. Why not an entertaining show that's a closer reflection of reality, or just the opposite? At least action and cop shows of the '80s (eg. A-Team) had a clear sense of the absurd; there was virtually no hollow self-serious posturing in that era. It's the posing as earnest and authentic, while remaining stubbornly beholden to Hollywood superficiality, that bothers me the most. That's what is most characteristic of post-'90s pop culture.

But enough with the pretentious analysis...
Old 07-15-08, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught the first episode last night, and wasn't impressed with it. It was okay at best. Most premiere shows are weak since it takes time to build characters and relationships, but this show didn't do a hell of a lot of either regardless. I doubt that I'll watch anymore unless it starts to get some good word of mouth.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.