Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Itty Bitty Titty Committee'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Jamie S. Rich's DVD review of Itty Bitty Titty Committee at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=33877 and...I think he is so stuck on not getting dvd extra's that he didn't really give the film a chance to enjoy it. I saw this film in the theater and i can tesify that the sound and picture quality are excellent.
This film rocks. It was sexy and fun and I can't believe he didn't see that. I suppose that having words running on his picture can be annonying, but that shouldn't ruin a really funny sexy film. I didn't get to see the extras either as they don't show that in the movie theater, BUT I think that Jamie Babbit out did herself and I am willing to bet all the people in the theater felt that way to....

IBTC won best film jury prize at SXSW and was nominated for it in Berlin too. This film is cool and I think hip people, lebians, feminists, and indie film lovers will really enjoy it.

Jack
Old 07-10-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts
It's a tough call - 'watermarking' or otherwise altering screeners. It's not as easy to be objective in a review when a movie has essentially been vandalized by a studio.

Music reviewers don't have to listen to CDs with occasional screechy noises or voices admonishing them to not resell a CD - it would totally destroy the work, so why should movie reviewers put up with it?

I think there's a balance to be achieved in which a movie may be reviewed in light of its possible quality, which would be more apparent if the studio hadn't decided to destroy any cumulative effect an unmolested movie would have had.
Old 07-10-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Jackofhearts
I think that Jamie Babbit out did herself and I am willing to bet all the people in the theater felt that way to....
Many of those who've rated it on IMDB and about half of the critics who've seen it seem to feel otherwise.

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
It's not as easy to be objective in a review when a movie has essentially been vandalized by a studio.
While it may not be easy to be objective, I don't think it's impossible either. Given that Jamie's review is in keeping with that provided by critics that saw it in the theater, I see no reason to doubt Jamie's objectivity, though that's not to say that I read your comment to say that you did.

In the interest of full disclosure, I haven't seen this film and thus have no personal opinion about whether Ms. Babbit has or has not outdone herself.
Old 07-11-08, 02:59 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

It's completely easy to be objective about the movie itself. I can look past a watermark and the lack of extras to enjoy a movie as it is, no problem, and had even done so with a disc of similar quality just five days ago when I reviewed the film Never Forever . Nothing in the main body of the review had anything to do with the technical deficiencies in the screener, that was reserved for the portion that was specifically about how the disc was put together. There's a reason my reviews and a good portion of the ones at this sight are structured to separate the two elements. I didn't enjoy the movie simply because I didn't think it was very good.

I'm glad it looked and sounded great in the theatre. Not sure what kind of bearing that has on a DVD review, however. Glad other people enjoyed it, as well, but I can only write about my own opinion. I'm a fan of Jamie Babbit, so I went in with the highest possible expectations.
Old 07-23-08, 02:26 PM

dvd vs. content

I always try to judge movies on dvd by content on the one hand and by the quality of the dvd on the other hand. But the content definately is more important to me - why should I watch a stupid movie only because of a great dvd?
I think the Itty Bitty Titty Committee is a great movie and it really tells an interesting story. I like Jamie Babbitīs work - and if you ask me she did a great job on directing the IBTC. This movie isnīt a mainstream movie, it is about lesbian love, about finding you place in society and about standing up for what you believe in. And I think this story, that by the way goes along with a great soundtrack is more important than everything else. It is a small independent movie - so I donīt need a lot of dvd extras! I can only reccomend to watch the movie.
Old 07-24-08, 12:40 AM

Two members with join dates in July 2008... each with one post... each in this thread. Hmmmmm....
Old 07-24-08, 02:55 AM

It got a "Rent It" so I wouldn't bitch too much, Jamie's friends. Myself? I'll be "Skipping It" because I don't actually watch the movies, I just watch the extras.