Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Incredible Hulk box office "overdelivered, relative to its underpromise"

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-09-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The original article can be found by clicking here. I found this particular piece of spin especially illuminating (and comical):

"Hollywood is always about perception," said David Davis, managing partner and entertainment analyst at Arpeggio Partners in Los Angeles. "The first Hulk (movie) had such high expectations after the NBC-Universal merger and was supposed to be critical-favorite Ang Lee's breakout commercial blockbuster.

"Then with the new Hulk film, Marvel was able to underplay the importance of the success after the great success of 'Iron Man' this summer," Davis said. "So the new one overdelivered, relative to its underpromise."
Whether or not that sentiment is true -- and I think it mostly is -- the way it was delivered by David Davis (!) is absolutely sublime.
Old 07-09-08, 08:26 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see the front of the DVD case now:

"[The Incredible Hulk] Overdelivered Relative to its Underpromise!" - David Davis

I'm going have to remember that line the next time a movie does slightly better than its low expectations. It's amazing.

Last edited by sb5; 07-09-08 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Through yesterday, The Incredible Hulk had earned $126 million in the US. It'll beat the '03 film, but unfortunately, not by much. I think if Ang Lee's version didin't exist, this film would have done much better business. I still believe it'll sell very well on dvd and blu-ray and make enough money for Marvel to proceed with a sequel.
Old 07-09-08, 09:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So...Leterrier and Roth are contracted still for the sequel but...supposedly Norton isn't. I'm sure that will change eventually but...still kinda odd. Can't wait for the DVD/Blu-ray to see the Norton Cut.
Old 07-09-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not the Norton cut, it's the directors cut, but it's the cut that Norton preferred.
Old 07-09-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I thought it was enjoyable summer movie fun, and probably should've made closer to $200mill, but it came out in a season too overloaded with other comic-movies (this summer seems like an all-time high if you count Hancock and the barely faithful Wanted). A fall or spring release would've been better methinks. It really ain't that bad a movie.
Old 07-09-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
It's not the Norton cut, it's the directors cut, but it's the cut that Norton preferred.
So what's the current theatrical cut? The Producer's Cut?
Old 07-09-08, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, it is. But that's what everybody is calling it. But I don't hear Leterrier saying or evoking a bad vibe from what happened. It really seems like he just wanted to make a good movie, and that while he preferred the original cut he was able to comply, while at the same time not being a named in the rumors for the troubles involved in the cut. Norton is the one that constantly gets named in that "argument". Therefore....it being called the Norton Cut.
Old 07-09-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The theatrical cut = the Marvel Studios cut.
Old 07-09-08, 09:49 PM
Banned

Considering ticket prices have gone up considerably since 03 even if Hulk 08 does make more than 03 it wont match the amount of tickets sold.
I would like to see a sequel I think but I really dont think it'll happen.
Old 07-09-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts
I think it will get a sequel since it has done a little better than some people expected, and has done a lot to turn around the public perception of the franchise - much like The Dark Knight is going to do significantly more business than Batman Begins I would expect that Incredible Hulk 2 would hit at least $175 million in the U.S.
Old 07-09-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The general public doesn't have and can't get an attachment to a completely 20 foot CGI comic book character in the main role.

They should go the TV route concept of the Hulk character if they ever choose to make another Hulk movie instead of going through the Oliver Stone blame game when the comic book concept has failed not once, but twice.
Old 07-10-08, 12:54 AM
Suspended

it wou'lve been better if the whole movie was CGI like Shrek.
Old 07-10-08, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Considering ticket prices have gone up considerably since 03 even if Hulk 08 does make more than 03 it wont match the amount of tickets sold.
I would like to see a sequel I think but I really dont think it'll happen.
Eh, I don't think ticket prices have gone up "considerably" in 5 years. Maybe versus 10 years ago, but as far as I can remember it's been in the $10-12 range for the last few years around me.
Old 07-10-08, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
So...Leterrier and Roth are contracted still for the sequel but...supposedly Norton isn't. I'm sure that will change eventually but...still kinda odd.
Why are you so sure it'll change? Having a semi-public fight with the studio over the final cut and then refusing to do publicity isn't the sort of thing that suggests he'll be back for the sequel.
Old 07-10-08, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sb5
I can see the front of the DVD case now:

"[The Incredible Hulk] Overdelivered Relative to its Underpromise!" - David Davis
Except that the way it will be wordsmithed it will look like this on the cover:

"The new Hulk film...delivered!" - David Davis

Now, FWIW, I really liked the new movie, and for me, it did deliver, but that's a whole other discussion. I just get a kick out of how these things get spun to say whatever the marketing types want people to think was said.

Last edited by RoboDad; 07-10-08 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-10-08, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by thelwig14
The general public doesn't have and can't get an attachment to a completely 20 foot CGI comic book character in the main role.

They should go the TV route concept of the Hulk character if they ever choose to make another Hulk movie instead of going through the Oliver Stone blame game when the comic book concept has failed not once, but twice.
I don't think I have any interest in a non-CGI hulk.

... though I can't believe I said that. I'm usually anti-CGI.

I thought The Incredible Hulk did fairly good consider what came before it. I know people who like the Hulk comics but were scared off by the last film. Let's see what the dvd/blu-ray sales look like.
Old 07-10-08, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder why King Kong made almost $600 million worldwide.

The Hulk is between 8-10' tall. Getting a steroid using body builder and covering him with green paint would be laughable in today's world. It's okay for a low budget 70s tv show, but not a big screen film.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 07-10-08 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-10-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I wonder why King Kong made almost $600 million worldwide.

The Hulk is between 8-10' tall. Getting a steroid using body builder and covering him with green paint would be laughable in today's world. It's okay for a low budget 70s tv show, but not a big screen film.

Horrible comparison. King Kong is and always has been the same character.

Laughable? I don't think so with todays effects and makeup. Orcs, aliens, predators, etc... have all been effective on screen. The general public doesn't associate the Hulk with a CGI comic book creature. The general public's association with the Hulk character, for better or for worse, is with the tv show whether they watched it or not.
Old 07-10-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The general public doesn't associate the Hulk with a CGI comic book creature. The general public's association with the Hulk character, for better or for worse, is with the tv show whether they watched it or not.
These "opinions stated as fact" statements are based on....?

King Kong has been portrayed via claymation, man in suit, and CGI. Audiences reacted very well to the CGI version.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 07-10-08 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-10-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll tell you why I didn't contribute to the gross of this movie. Like many others I'm not a comic book fan, but I do enjoy a good movie, and because of the reviews, I'm tempted to check this out. I did check out The Hulk based on a review. It was probably one of the worst movies I have seen in a theater. I've come to realize, and so have many others, for comic book movies the reviews tend to be overblown by geeks that love the franchise. You have to knock off a few points, and after you do so, it ends up being about even with other movies. Sometimes people are just clouded with love for the franchise (ehem.. Harry Potter movies) and the reviews can't be trusted at all.
I think this movie was hurt by the first one.
I think this movie will do well on DVD, which is when I'll probably rent it.
That certainly doesn't help the gross, but that doesn't mean there won't be another one.
Old 07-10-08, 09:38 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Harry Potter isn't a comic book. While some people may go overboard with praise because they love the source material, I think there's enough smart critics out there who can judge a movie without the general public having to "knock off a few points."
Old 07-10-08, 10:37 AM

Laughable? I don't think so with todays effects and makeup. Orcs, aliens, predators, etc... have all been effective on screen. The general public doesn't associate the Hulk with a CGI comic book creature. The general public's association with the Hulk character, for better or for worse, is with the tv show whether they watched it or not.
Hellboy's makeup looks fantastic in my opinion. I don't think that would have been a bad route to go with the Hulk.
Old 07-10-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
These "opinions stated as fact" statements are based on....?

King Kong has been portrayed via claymation, man in suit, and CGI. Audiences reacted very well to the CGI version.
That one of the biggest comic character franchises in the history of the world has failed miserably TWICE. Blade, Iron Man, and other MUCH lesser known comic book movies have done considerably better than a Marvel staplepoint.

King Kong is still a poor example. Jaws, Jurassic Park, King Kong, etc... are similar characters...the Hulk doesn't belong in that group. It is central character that requires much more human emotion and interaction.
Old 07-10-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JMcCraw
Hellboy's makeup looks fantastic in my opinion. I don't think that would have been a bad route to go with the Hulk.

Exactly. I am not a huge Hellboy fan, but those movies are watchable because Perlman and the makeup, not some total CGI central character that takes you out of the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.