Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Nada Surf "Lucky"

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nada Surf "Lucky"

I wasn't really familiar with this band although I had heard the name before. After a glowing review of this album in Sound & Vision magazine I decided to take a chance and get it and man I gotta say I love this. It's great top to bottom. I'm usually a lover of "grower" albums but this one hooked me at the first song. Anyone else have this cd?
Old 07-09-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sure do, its fantastic. I'd recommend checking out their previous works as well. They are solid indie rock.
Old 07-09-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a really good indie pop guitar album. It has some songs on it that deserve to be hits.
Old 07-09-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Love the band, love the album!

You should definitely check out their earlier work, especially Let Go, one of my favorite records - ever.
Old 07-09-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

great band and great album. i have followed them since about 1996. as the above have recommended, check out their earlier work. "hyperspace" on proximity effect is one of my alltime favorite songs.
Old 07-09-08, 09:57 PM

Yeah, I will definately check out their other stuff. Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 07-09-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Forgot to add, if you can, go see them live, too. I've seen them more than a dozen times over the years, and it's always a great show. The band are incredibly nice guys, as well, and usually come out after every show to meet fans and sign autographs.
Old 07-10-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is one band I usually check out when they play around me. Personally, I think The Proximity Effect is their best album, with "Hyperspace" being one of the best songs ever. While I wouldn't call any of their songs bad, per se, I tend to feel like each album after that one only had about 4 or 5 great songs, with the remaining songs being somewhat disposable. Good for a listen every now and then, but most of the stuff I go out of my way to listen to is off that album. They're better live though, so maybe that's telling.

K
Old 07-10-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
This is one band I usually check out when they play around me. Personally, I think The Proximity Effect is their best album, with "Hyperspace" being one of the best songs ever. While I wouldn't call any of their songs bad, per se, I tend to feel like each album after that one only had about 4 or 5 great songs, with the remaining songs being somewhat disposable.
K

That's where I've gotta disagree with you. I'd say that about High/Low or The Proximity Effect, but not what came after. On Proximity, you've got "Hyperspace" (and I'm completely with your opinion on that song), "80 Windows", "Robot", "Amateur" and "Baracrdi" as truly standout tracks, but the rest to me isn't as up to par. Whereas Let Go, on the other hand, is brilliant start to finish - with not a single weak cut to be had.

I will say, however, that with time (and age) the band have mellowed a bit more with each successive album. The earlier albums had a more overall aggressive/uptempo vs laid back song ratio, and that dynamic has completely flipped with the more recent records.

What's funny, is that I had originally almost written the band off just before The Proximity Effect was originally supposed to come out. I got an advance copy of the album from Elektra, before the label dropped them, scanned it once with nothing at the time really catching my ear, and then it sat on the shelf for the better part of a year before I gave it another spin. And even then, the album still ended up being tied up in legal limbo for another few years before the band was finally able to buy back the rights and release it themselves. When Let Go came out, I read a few really good reviews of it, and after I got it, was stunned at how good it really was. That made me go back finally and re-listen to the earlier albums again.
Old 07-13-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dobby
I wasn't really familiar with this band although I had heard the name before. After a glowing review of this album in Sound & Vision magazine I decided to take a chance and get it and man I gotta say I love this. It's great top to bottom. I'm usually a lover of "grower" albums but this one hooked me at the first song. Anyone else have this cd?
Did you get the Bonus CD with yours?
Old 07-14-08, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
Did you get the Bonus CD with yours?

No
Old 07-14-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Nada Surf. Like someone already said, I've followed them since 'Popular' was playing on MTV and had originally written them off as a one hit wonder. Then I found that they'd released more CD's and they were fantastic as well. Lucky is a very good CD.

= J