Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

David Fincher takes on multiple comic book adaptations (Including 'Heavy Metal'!)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

David Fincher takes on multiple comic book adaptations (Including 'Heavy Metal'!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I came across one article at Wired.com which lead me to more articles about other comics he'll be adapting. Looks like he's keeping a lot busier than he used to be!

David Fincher Gets the Bug to Direct Black Hole
The Game, Fight Club, and Zodiac director David Fincher is set to direct a feature adaptation of Charles Burns' graphic novel Black Hole. Burns' 12-issue comic-book turned graphic novel opens up with a sexually transmitted "bug" passed from teenager to teenager. Those who get the bug develop strange mutations like a tiny mouth at the base of one boy's neck. Those with grosser mutations end up homeless.

With Brad Pitt's Plan B taking on some of the producing responsibilities can we expect a cameo?
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008...fincher-g.html

Fincher to Animate Heavy Metal
It's a match made in bad-boy heaven: Fight Club's David Fincher has signed on to oversee an omnibus film drawn from stories from Heavy Metal, the blood-and-boobs sci-fi/fantasy magazine that has already spawned two films, according to Variety.

Fincher will direct one of eight or nine segments, with Heavy Metal publisher/editor Kevin Eastman and Tim Miller of CG master Blur Studio each doing another. Word on other directors to come.

Expect some fanboy grumbling: The original 1981 Heavy Metal film -- with voiceover work by John Candy, Eugene Levy and Harold Ramis, plus music by Devo, Cheap Trick, Blue Oyster Cult and Black Sabbath -- remains a quintessential cult film. (I remember the fifth- and seventh-generation VHS tapes being passed around during years of rights wrangling.)

But, if Fincher's films are any indication, this trip into the Heavy Metal world is more likely to match the often gruesome and erotic intensity of the magazine.
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008...r-to-anim.html

Fincher Brings Goon Comic to Big Screen
David Fincher is taking Dark Horse comic The Goon to the movies.

Famously adept at crafting tightly wound creep-outs in Se7en, Zodiac and Fight Club, Fincher will team with Blur Studios to make the CG animated feature.

Who exactly is the Goon? Hatched by Eric Powell nine years ago in his graphic novel series, the thug with an ugly mug serves as muscle for a mobster. The Goon's job: Dispatch zombies, skunk apes and other paranormal mutants.

Goon is the first feature from Blur, the Venice, California-based outfit best known for its wacky TV commercials and Oscar-nominated Gopher Broke short.

Dark Horse Entertainment plans to develop the project in-house, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

As reported earlier, Universal Studios has a first-look deal with Dark Horse: The studio, which also handles the Hellboy movies based on the Dark Horse comic, will get first dibs on The Goon.
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008...er-brings.html

He hasn't let me down yet, and these comics certainly have the edge he loves to portray on film! I wonder how long after Benjamin Button it will take to see these.

What do you all think about these developments?
Old 07-07-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read Black Hole in one sitting at Borders, so I can't wait for the movie.

I beg him to cast Emile Hirsch as Keith, the protagonist, he's all I could think of playing the character when I read it.
Old 07-07-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let us not forget about Torso....tailor made for Fincher.
Old 07-07-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's your one way ticket to midnight,
Call it...

Heavy metal.
Old 07-07-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd definitely be down for an updated/cheese-free Heavy Metal - the original hasn't dated well at all, though it was among the first dvds I ever bought.
Old 07-07-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heavy Metal 2000 was a complete disappointment and a waste. If they could pull of some great stories from the magazine done in the same style as the art in the individual stories from the magazine, then that would be awesome. A movie with four or five different stories...that would be great.

As far as the comment about the original not aging well....I think the movie still looks fantastic. I prefer it to much of the CGI animated crap thrown at us these days.
Old 07-07-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'd definitely be down for an updated/cheese-free Heavy Metal - the original hasn't dated well at all, though it was among the first dvds I ever bought.
Chesseing free? No way!

Old 07-08-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I can see Fincher doing "Black Hole," but I always hoped that Cronenberg would direct it if it was ever made into a movie. (There's still "Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron," though...)
Old 07-08-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
(There's still "Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron," though...)
That seems almost unfilmable.
Old 07-08-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
Chesseing free? No way!

"I see you're enticed by my daughter's awesome rocking tits!"
Old 07-08-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Fincher getting tied to comic movies is sort of like Quentin Tarrantino's next movie. It gets talked about a lot, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 07-08-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I can see Fincher doing "Black Hole," but I always hoped that Cronenberg would direct it if it was ever made into a movie.
Yeah, the whole "body horror" theme of Black Hole seems like a perfect match for Cronenberg, I'd love to see him tackle a film adaptation. But I'd be curious to see what Fincher could come up with too, if this actually happens. At any rate, the story would make a cool, creepy film.
Old 09-04-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From slashfilm:
Heavy Metal publisher Kevin Eastman says that Zack Snyder, Guillermo del Toro and Gore Verbinski have expressed interest in joining executive producer David Fincher to direct segments of the upcoming Heavy Metal animated film. The feature is scheduled to include eight or nine segments, and is being envisioned as an adult-themed R-rated film. Animator Tim Miller and Eastman himself are also expected to direct segments.
Old 09-05-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
From slashfilm:
Old 09-05-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I hope it's new stories instead of a remake. Heavy Metal stands on its own, warts and all. There should be plenty of new material to use in another movie.
Old 09-05-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macnorton
Let us not forget about Torso....tailor made for Fincher.
Originally Posted by slashfilm
According to an article on Cleveland.com, Matt Damon is set to star as a post-Capone Eliot Ness in Torso, Paramount’s adaptation of the graphic novel by Brian Bendis and Marc Andreyko. Apparently producer Bill Mechanic would like the film to shoot in Ohio, where the famed “Torso Murderer” dismembered 12 people in the mid-to-late ’30s, but there’s a problem with tax incentives.

On top of the casting announcement, this news is surprising for three reasons: 1) Until now, Torso seemed to be in a state of flux. 2) Peter ended the silence about David Fincher’s testy ongoing relationship with Paramount per Benjamin Button, and until now, Fincher was attached to direct for the studio. Fincher is tellingly not mentioned in the piece. 3) Filming is said to start early next year in Ohio or possibly in ever-Hollywood-friendly Michigan, with a budget reportedly set at $100 million, which mirrors Zodiac’s, a box office disappointment.
Old 09-05-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really hope there's going to be a Druuna segment in there somewhere.
Old 09-06-08, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

but who would play her?
Old 11-12-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From this message board:
Originally Posted by Kevin Eastman
Hey Guys,
Well here we are again--and I'm trying to keep you up on the latest, without boring you with the 24/7 issues that are delt with on this project. Regardless--things proceed--and the good news I have to share is Zack Snyder has said yes to directing one of the segments--so he's be joining Fincher, and Gore Verbinski as part of the official line up--there's more on the director front--but I'll hold off to share more with you shortly.
Also looks like it might end 8up back at Paramount--gotta love Hollywood.
More details as I get them. Kevin
Old 11-12-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
but who would play her?
Live action Druuna = Monica Bellucci
Old 06-06-09, 02:54 PM

Re: David Fincher takes on multiple comic book adaptations (Including 'Heavy Metal'!)

I didn't know where else to put this:

Last we heard, Kevin Eastman’s new big screen Heavy Metal movie had a list of impressive directors a mile long: Zack Snyder, David Fincher, Mark Osborne (Kung Fu Panda), and Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy). Eastman has said that three more directors would also direct segments on the animated anthology film. Since that time we’ve learned that Rob Zombie (Halloween) is in talks to join the mix.

But now our good friends at Film School Rejects have learned directly from Eastman that James Cameron has now come on board as Co-Executive producer, and will direct a segment. Cameron’s involvement is also notable because it pretty much guarantees that the film will be 3D.
Old 06-06-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: David Fincher takes on multiple comic book adaptations (Including 'Heavy Metal'!)

David Fincher, Zack Snyder, Gore Verbinski, and James Cameron directing segments in an R rated Heavy Metal update?!?!?! This could be incredible.
Old 06-06-09, 04:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll believe Cameron's involvement when I see it.
Old 06-06-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy Thing from the Fantastic Four shit!
Old 06-07-09, 01:02 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

can't wait!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.