Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Nice SD releases with no day/date BR - Upsetting!

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-07-08, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found out that the extended cut of Terrence Malick's "The New World" is coming out on SD DVD. I have been waiting for this cut since I saw the movie. There is no corresponding Blu-Ray coming the same day and The Digital Bits says no BR is planned at this point (according to their source). That is awful news! "The New World" is a beautiful film that cries out for high definition! There were portions shot on 70mm that I know would look simply amazing in 1080p! Hopefully there will be a BR announcement soon - this is so disappointing.

Also, "The Sopranos" comlete collection looks amazing but alas, No Blu and no plans at this point. Of course with a $400 MSRP - God only knows what the BR would price out at but still...it's the principle of the thing!
Old 07-07-08, 10:35 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Welcome to niche. We all have movies that came out on DVD that deserved a BD (The Darjeeling Limited, The Waitress) that never cam out on Blu-ray. Maybe some day?
Old 07-07-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
We should be getting all day and dates on BD but something like The New World especially screams out for an HD presentation.
Old 07-07-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

These are perfect candidates for your Netflix queue!
Old 07-07-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts
i'm most frustrated by the lack of BD mention in the latest Hitchcock announcements (MGM's Premier Collection and the new versions of Vertigo, Psycho and Rear Window from Universal).
Old 07-07-08, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
These are perfect candidates for your Netflix queue!
Netflix most likely won't even stock the extended cut of "The New World". In general they don't seem to carry many extended versions and/or Director's cuts.

I've seen "The Sopranos". I want the complete series on BR for my collection.
Old 07-07-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about The New World or The Sopranos Complete Series.

I would bet that a day & date announcement will come about before too long.
Old 07-07-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had a hard enough time putting together the Sopranos at decent prices. I could never afford a complete BD set anyway. I'm sure the MSRP would be $600 or up.

I really wanted The Darjeeling Limited in BD though. Hopefully that one gets there at some point, but it is such a niche title I doubt it gets put on the even more niche format.
Old 07-07-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JMcCraw
Netflix most likely won't even stock the extended cut of "The New World". In general they don't seem to carry many extended versions and/or Director's cuts.
Plus, they usually don't get remasters either. Those Hitchcock titles will likely be the editions from years ago. Not that I'm surprised those aren't coming out, as Universal seems to only be interested in releasing titles already on HD DVD.

This really isn't anything new though. This has been happening repeatedly the last couple of years. Fox has been releasing many new special editions on DVD but not BD. At least next summer, they will have a tie-in opportunity (the Bruno movie) to finally release Borat.
Old 07-07-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Welcome to niche. We all have movies that came out on DVD that deserved a BD (The Darjeeling Limited, The Waitress) that never cam out on Blu-ray. Maybe some day?
I think you hit it right on the head. What you're expecting is DVD-type releases - but its not DVD. The market (though growing) is much much smaller - so you want to make sure what you're releasing will move copies.
Old 07-07-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by clemente
I think you hit it right on the head. What you're expecting is DVD-type releases - but its not DVD. The market (though growing) is much much smaller - so you want to make sure what you're releasing will move copies.
And yet, Warner has repeatedly and continues to release classic films on Blu-ray day and date with their DVD special editions. Here are just a few examples:
The Kubrick movies
How the West Was Won
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Cool Hand Luke
Bonnie & Clyde

I guarantee that the Universal Hitchcock titles would all sell more than How the West Was Won, if not some of those others as well. It seems to be a fundamental difference in philosophy and not strictly an economical one. For all the beatings that Warner takes over soft transfers and lack of lossless audio, they have pretty much been the best studio in regard to concurrent releases of catalog special editions.
Old 07-07-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Originally Posted by kefrank
It seems to be a fundamental difference in philosophy and not strictly an economical one.
It has to be something like that.

I mean, look at the "...the hell?" choices they made for HD DVD: they frequently chose movies like Mobsters which were universally disliked by audiences and critics alike, weren't day-and-date releases coasting on theatrical publicity, have zero marquee value, honestly don't even look good in high-def... I mean, they were literally giving away Charade on DVD at one point, and they definitely have an HD master for that. Maybe a semi-classic like that wouldn't move a lot of copies in high definition, but would it sell worse than Mobsters, Streets of Fire, or The Wedding Party? It shouldn't cost any more to produce. Worst case scenario, a title like that still might draw in a crowd that might've been on the fence about diving into HDM.
Old 07-07-08, 08:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by kefrank
And yet, Warner has repeatedly and continues to release classic films on Blu-ray day and date with their DVD special editions. Here are just a few examples:
The Kubrick movies
How the West Was Won
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Cool Hand Luke
Bonnie & Clyde

I guarantee that the Universal Hitchcock titles would all sell more than How the West Was Won, if not some of those others as well. It seems to be a fundamental difference in philosophy and not strictly an economical one. For all the beatings that Warner takes over soft transfers and lack of lossless audio, they have pretty much been the best studio in regard to concurrent releases of catalog special editions.
...And then Warner skips right over "Watership Down"
Old 07-07-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Not that I'm calling it a great film, haven't seen it anyhow, but Stop-Loss now doesn't have a Blu-Ray that I'm pretty sure was announced.

Also, some Universals (though some are soon coming)
-In Bruges, Atonement

The Grand
High Noon Special Edition
Hamburger Hill
Old 07-08-08, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Willh51
Atonement
Atonement did come out on HD DVD, though, and I believe it was their last release on the format. Universal wasn't supporting Blu-ray at the time it would've been a day-and-date release.

I'll certainly second High Noon and In Bruges.
Old 07-08-08, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

those new SE for some of the Universal Hitchcock movie (Vertigo, Psycho, Rear Window) is pretty upsetting.
Old 07-08-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or Touch of Evil 50th Anniversary with three different cuts.
Old 07-08-08, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Grubert
Or Touch of Evil 50th Anniversary with three different cuts.
Exactly. To me that is a collector's title and I would think enough collectors are Blu now to make it a worthwhile release.
Old 07-08-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eedoon
those new SE for some of the Universal Hitchcock movie (Vertigo, Psycho, Rear Window) is pretty upsetting.
I would say we'll get some of those titles when The Birds remake hits next year.

The Wolf Man remake also comes to theaters in April '09. I think we'll also get some of the classic monster films as well.
Old 07-08-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JMcCraw
Exactly. To me that is a collector's title and I would think enough collectors are Blu now to make it a worthwhile release.
And that's the thing... collectors are more likely to have already transitioned to HDM. Those who haven't? Screw 'em. Release such titles only on Blu-ray and those "collectors" will upgrade. Give it to US NOW!!!
Old 07-08-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just read this on Digital Bits! Count me as completely disgusted at the lack of a BR announcement for Hitchcock and Welles.

Just had to throw my hat in the ring. Not posting much since I am traveling in China this summer. In Hong Kong now.