Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How much better does Superman Returns sound with True HD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am watching Superman Returns and it sounds awesome with DD over my Pioneer 1018. I was wondering if for those of you who have a copy of the HD DVD or Blu-Ray with True HD, is the sound that much better?
Old 07-06-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
According the latest auction end I saw, it sounds about $225.00 better.

Seriously, I had the DD Blu-Ray and the HD DVD with TrueHD at the same time and did some comparisons with my gear. I agree that the DD track on this one does sound very good. The TrueHD track to me sounded a little more open and natural. I assume the track on the TrueHD BD is the same as the one on the HD DVD. It's a great track but I would never pay more than $50 for a copy of a Blu-Ray with the TrueHD track. The DD track is fine with me until the TrueHD version is (hopefully) avaiilable.
Old 07-06-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wait a second...what's going for $225? Did I miss a memo?
Old 07-06-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Wait a second...what's going for $225? Did I miss a memo?
Last eBay auction I saw for a Superman Returns BD with PCM and TrueHD closed around $255. $255 - ~$30 for the current disc = "about $225.00".
Old 07-06-08, 01:39 PM

I thought that WB was pressing only the True HD disc from now on. I guess that there must be a bunch of the old discs laying around.
Old 07-06-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jomalley2001
I thought that WB was pressing only the True HD disc from now on. I guess that there must be a bunch of the old discs laying around.
I'd say you are correct. In fact who knows if they've even had to make a run of Superman Return on Blu since its initial run. IIRC it was a day and date Blu-Ray along with the HD DVD, so they may have made much more than they actually sold thinking it might sell more. The higher list price is not helping either. They need to drop the list price to 28.99 like their other catalog titles so it starts moving.
Old 07-06-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
When ever I have compared the TrueHD, DTS MA or PCM track of a film to the compressed audio it always sounds like the sound opens up when you switch the tracks. It is just fuller and has more detail. Similar to SACD compared to CD audio.

Some people can hear it and some people can't. Just like SACD now that I think about it.
Old 07-06-08, 06:23 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by jomalley2001
They will. But no need to press another 10-20k (as they do them in runs) when there is tons still sitting on store shelves. If Warner actually had a sale on these somewhere for $19.99, they might actually sell more then a hundred each week.
Old 07-06-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is an enormous difference between the DD 5.1 and TrueHD audio. This film has one of the best lossless audio tracks I've ever heard.
Old 07-07-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bet we will get the DC on BD before the Man of Steel (summer 2010?).
Old 07-07-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Other than the deleted scenes of Ben Hubbard (when Clark discovers Ma Kent has finally moved on with her life) and a longer version of the sequence when young Clark first discovers his powers, what possible substance could be added to the feature in a DC version?

I'd love to see the return to Krypton (which helped explain why Clark is so messed up at the begining of the movie) but I get the feeling that such a sequence will only make the feature slower rather than better. It's already too long as it is.

Isn't The Man of Steel still in production limbo?
Old 07-08-08, 06:01 AM

I finally got this on HD DVD the other day and have been enjoying the TrueHD track. Yes, it's an upgrade. While the dd+ is very good, there is more resolution, the soundfield holds up better and the dynamic range seems to be increased over the DD+.
Old 07-08-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
I bet we will get the DC on BD before the Man of Steel (summer 2010?).
No doubt. Complete with BD Live features and the IME feature that Bryan Singer had mentioned before.
Old 07-08-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The return to Krypton scene was the one I was mainly talking about. They spent alot of money on it and so I wouldnt doubt that they market it for a release before the sequel.
Old 07-08-08, 02:22 PM
FuQ

If you have an HD DVD player. I'm selling my copy with TrueHD. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230267551318
Old 07-08-08, 02:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
According the latest auction end I saw, it sounds about $225.00 better.

Seriously, I had the DD Blu-Ray and the HD DVD with TrueHD at the same time and did some comparisons with my gear. I agree that the DD track on this one does sound very good. The TrueHD track to me sounded a little more open and natural. I assume the track on the TrueHD BD is the same as the one on the HD DVD. It's a great track but I would never pay more than $50 for a copy of a Blu-Ray with the TrueHD track. The DD track is fine with me until the TrueHD version is (hopefully) avaiilable.

$50? If I'm paying $50, it better be for a trilogy. I won't spend $50 on any movie, I don't care what it is.