Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Universal's first Blu movies are here - Packaging and Impressions

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-03-08, 07:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

For those interested:

Looks like Universal is loving slip covers as all the movies contain them (aside from Scorpion King). The actual Blu-ray cases are actually a bit square...kinda reminds me of the import HD DVD cases.

I'll be going through each one of them in the next few hours. Curious to see if they kept the standard HD DVD menus or changed them.

The inside pamphlet also shows some unannounced movies including Billy Madison, Serenity, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, The Thing, Happy Gilmore, Fearless, Pitch Black, The Good Shepard, Hulk, The Kingdom and Jarhead.
Old 07-03-08, 07:10 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When will they learn put stickers on the cellophane not the slip case i had enough trouble trying to get the big ass handcock sticker off my men in black copy and the other one to.

Apart from that there cool
Old 07-03-08, 07:12 PM
Suspended

The stickers catch attention to customers. Its also telling people that your PS3 plays Blu-ray movies.
Old 07-03-08, 07:15 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The stickers catch attention to customers. Its also telling people that your PS3 plays Blu-ray movies.
Yeah that's all well and good for 6 pack Joe. But don't stick them on the slip case
Old 07-03-08, 07:18 PM
Suspended

Universal is using the same menu design as they did with HD DVD. Instead of the HD DVD logo its Blu-ray.
Old 07-03-08, 07:20 PM
Suspended

Universal is using the same menu design as they did with HD DVD. Instead of the HD DVD logo its Blu-ray.
Well i hope there easy peel these stickers
Old 07-03-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gizmo, how is the ticket packaged for the Mummy movies? Hopefully nothing like the Hancock blunder I hope.
Old 07-03-08, 07:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Gizmo, how is the ticket packaged for the Mummy movies? Hopefully nothing like the Hancock blunder I hope.
You log on to a website and enter a code. Looks like they are similar to Hancock.

I'm not going to even bother trying the website right now.
Old 07-03-08, 07:25 PM
Suspended

I've been A/Bing between the Blu-ray (PS3) and HD DVD (XA2). And while the Blu-ray looks a bit sharper, its not mind blowing. I have only viewed a few scenes (and the same time stamp) and have yet to really get into it so its just a small impression.

The menu design is actually much nicer then the HD DVD. Cleaner and less clunky. Response is much much much faster.

Time to eat crow as the DTS MA sounds delicious compared to the DD+. Looks like improved PQ and Audio is worth it. I may keep these now...damnit.
Old 07-03-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been A/Bing between the Blu-ray (PS3) and HD DVD (XA2). And while the Blu-ray looks a bit sharper, its not mind blowing. I have only viewed a few scenes (and the same time stamp) and have yet to really get into it so its just a small impression.

The menu design is actually much nicer then the HD DVD. Cleaner and less clunky. Response is much much much faster.

Time to eat crow as the DTS MA sounds delicious compared to the DD+. Looks like improved PQ and Audio is worth it. I may keep these now...damnit.
Thanks for the comparison. July 22 can't get here fast enough!
Old 07-03-08, 07:45 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Thanks for the comparison. July 22 can't get here fast enough!
You're welcome.

Odd that the cases are so different. I looked through all my BD movies and not a single studio has used the same style case.
Old 07-03-08, 08:17 PM

GizmoDVD, what are your thoughts on the Doomsday disc? Does it have the theatrical version as well as the unrated?

Thanks
Old 07-03-08, 08:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by WillardC
GizmoDVD, what are your thoughts on the Doomsday disc? Does it have the theatrical version as well as the unrated?

Thanks
Ive never seen the movie before but I'll probably be watching that one tonight.

It does say UNRATED and its on a 25GB disc with a DTS MA track, so unless they bridged both versions, I'd assume its only the UNRATED cut.
Old 07-03-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ive never seen the movie before but I'll probably be watching that one tonight.

It does say UNRATED and its on a 25GB disc with a DTS MA track, so unless they bridged both versions, I'd assume its only the UNRATED cut.
Giz, you sure it's not a BD-50. I thought all announcements regarding it had it at a BD-50.
Old 07-03-08, 08:32 PM
Suspended

Looking directly at my slip cover and it says "BD-25".
The Mummy films both say "BD-50".
The Scorpion King says "BD-25".
Old 07-03-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
When I bought replacement HD DVD cases for the Hollywood video discs the cases were square instead of round, but otherwise looked like normal HD DVD cases with the logo and everything. Wonder if these are from the same company. Does it have a tiny clip to the left of the disc to hold it in the case?
Old 07-03-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBluRayReview
When will they learn put stickers on the cellophane not the slip case i had enough trouble trying to get the big ass handcock sticker off my men in black copy and the other one to.
If they put them on the cellophane, they'll be under the slipcover where no one will see them.
Old 07-03-08, 11:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by darkside
When I bought replacement HD DVD cases for the Hollywood video discs the cases were square instead of round, but otherwise looked like normal HD DVD cases with the logo and everything. Wonder if these are from the same company. Does it have a tiny clip to the left of the disc to hold it in the case?
Nope, 2 clips to hold the U-Control booklet.
Old 07-04-08, 12:14 AM
Suspended

The specs announced for the BD of Doomsday are wrong.

The BD is only the Unrated cut. Period. No option for the Theatrical.

It is almost missing the following special features:
· Anatomy of Catastrophe: Civilization on the Brink featurette
· The Visual Effects and Wizardry of Doomsday featurette
· Devices of Death: Guns, Gadgets and Vehicles of Destruction featurette

What it does have is:
· A commentary with director Neil Marshall and actors Sean Pertwee, Darren Morfitt, Rick Warden and Les Simpson

and U-Control with a bunch of personnel files to read through, technical specs, and some PiP stuff. Since I do not have the DVD to compare, I don't know if those features are intergrated into the BD or not. At the moment, it looks like they didn't.

P.S. U-Control is for Profile 1.1+ players only.
Old 07-04-08, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
You can tell if it's single or dual layer by looking at the rings around the hub on the data side. If you see two barcodes it's dual layer, if only one, single layer.

So it sounds like Doomsday is just the film with a commentary track and some 1.1 stuff. I guess that could fit on a BD-25, but you think they could have splurged for their first day and date.

Very interesting to hear there's a PQ difference on the Mummy stuff. I have the HD DVD's and look forward to A/B-ing them myself.

Strange on the different cases too - I guess Uni wants to be unique. Nice to see the discs work - I was half expecting them to be glitchy.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 07-04-08 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-04-08, 12:36 AM
Suspended

Actually, it is glitchy. When I first started watching it, 4 white dots appeared on the top and bottom of the screen. I had to open the popup menu and main menu to overlap them to go away. Then at the end, the popup menu no longer worked and the film would not go back to the main menu. I tried every possibly way (both menu buttons, skipping chapters)...I wound up having to turn my PS3 off. Very odd.
Tried to replicate the 4 white dots and it never happened again. Looks like it was a one time thing.

Last edited by Gizmo; 07-04-08 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-04-08, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The specs announced for the BD of Doomsday are wrong.

The BD is only the Unrated cut. Period. No option for the Theatrical.

It is almost missing the following special features:
· Anatomy of Catastrophe: Civilization on the Brink featurette
· The Visual Effects and Wizardry of Doomsday featurette
· Devices of Death: Guns, Gadgets and Vehicles of Destruction featurette

What it does have is:
· A commentary with director Neil Marshall and actors Sean Pertwee, Darren Morfitt, Rick Warden and Les Simpson

and U-Control with a bunch of personnel files to read through, technical specs, and some PiP stuff. Since I do not have the DVD to compare, I don't know if those features are intergrated into the BD or not. At the moment, it looks like they didn't.

P.S. U-Control is for Profile 1.1+ players only.
i do not understand why they can't include whatever that is already on the DVD...
Old 07-04-08, 12:43 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
i do not understand why they can't include whatever that is already on the DVD...
Well, it may be on the BD just mixed in with the U-Control stuff. I have no way of knowing since I do not have a DVD to compare to. Either way, it would have been nice to include those features for people with 1.0 players or people like myself who don't like to watch things mixed in with other things.
Old 07-04-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, it may be on the BD just mixed in with the U-Control stuff. I have no way of knowing since I do not have a DVD to compare to. Either way, it would have been nice to include those features for people with 1.0 players or people like myself who don't like to watch things mixed in with other things.
i agree with you... i think it's bad enough that they are opting to release stuff on BD-25 discs - can't understand that one either.
Old 07-04-08, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Courtesy of Don Lindich:

Universal Blu-ray intro:
http://www.soundadviceblog.com/wp-co...lutitle_sm.mov

U-Control PiP in action:
http://www.soundadviceblog.com/wp-co...7/ucpipact.mov

Article:
http://www.soundadviceblog.com/?p=920

Pro-B

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.