Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you watch your TV series on TV or DVD?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-02-08, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

I do mostly on DVD. Too many series to watch and on DVD I can watch them at work How do you watch yours?
Old 07-02-08, 03:36 AM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Why do you like to keep 'bragging' about not working at your job?

But to your question, both. DVD does not exclude the TV, gotta have something to display the DVD.

I tend to not watch broadcast series as they air (other than a coupla shows). So DVD series, BD series, Netflix Roku, or other means and usually on one of our televisions or projector.
Old 07-02-08, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I usually wait for dvd.
Old 07-02-08, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both
Old 07-02-08, 05:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since I only got cable recently usually on DVD. Now though it's mixed.
Old 07-02-08, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I record shows digitally and then watch the recordings, skipping past commercials and credits. I keep up with some shows regularly but save some for marathon viewings. I have two computers that can record HDTV broadcasts and a couple of DVD recorders for recording even more shows.
Old 07-02-08, 06:46 AM
Suspended

only via netflix and online (hulu)

i got rid of cable almost a year ago and i haven't missed it yet

unless you work in a toll booth or as an overnight security guard at a dept. store.... stop watching tv and get back to work
Old 07-02-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Both... I have my day and date shows (don't know if the term exactly applies but you get the picture) then there are those that I "discover" on DVD. Just finished up The Wire, and starting on Smallville. Watched the first 2 seasons when they originally aired and now starting over.
Old 07-02-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I play catch up with the DVDs (most recently Battlestar Galactica and Nip/Tuck). Everything else I watch I watch on broadcast via TiVo HD. Only exception is Weeds since I can watch that on Blu-ray without subscribing to Showtime (plus I don't have HD DirecTV service).
Old 07-02-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
I wait for the DVDs and watch them in season marathons. It's tough to avoid some spoilers during the normal season, though.
Old 07-02-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
DVD only. We don't even get any reception (no rabbit ears or anything)- so it's all DVD for us. Which can be a pain avoiding spoilers unfortunately.

On a side note- when people ask us about a commercial or show, and we tell them we don't have cable, they look at us as if we have two heads.
Old 07-02-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Both
Old 07-02-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It depends on the show. For example, I wait for Lost and Heroes to come out on DVD and just avoid all of the spoilers. But I'll watch other shows on TV and possibly buy them on DVD as well
Old 07-02-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Both.

It used to be with Buffy, Angel and Gilmore Girls that I'd watch them as they aired and buy/watch them again when the DVDs came out. But I haven't felt the need to do that with any shows since those went off the air.

Now it's either I watch them live, every week from the start and don't buy the DVDs: Lost, Heroes, The Closer, Burn Notice, Ugly Betty.

Or, I miss them when they first air and I get the DVDs a season behind: Bones, NCIS, Pushing Daisies (as soon as that comes out on DVD) and anything on HBO or Showtime.

On rare occasions I'll catch up with a show on DVD and then start watching live. That's why I only have the first one and a half seasons of Battlestar Galactica on DVD.
Old 07-02-08, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by gotrice487
Heroes to come out on DVD

To side track a little bit I just noticed that Netflix has Heroes season 2 available as a "watch now" title already
Old 07-03-08, 08:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been watching TV series almost exclusively on DVD since 2003. I even remember what triggered the change in my viewing habits: I missed a mid-season episode of 24 (season 2) and decided that rather than trying to continue watching with a gap in my series knowledge, I would just wait and get the DVD set. I finished out watching Buffy to the end of the final season a few months later, and since then I've just settled for being a year behind most people. It's not so bad except with series like Lost where spoilers are nearly unavoidable.

In the last couple years, I started watching some new series on the web, but if I really like them, I get the DVDs. My 24" monitor is great, but it's no match for my huge widescreen downstairs.

One thing I don't miss at all is the commercials. When I do occasionally watch a sports show or news show on broadcast TV, I'm shocked by how bad most of the ads are. In fact ads lessen my opinion of our species, since only morons would be persuaded by such drivel.
Old 07-03-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
For the most part, I watch shows on TV thanks to my DVR but on occasions, I have purchased TV on DVDs.
Old 07-03-08, 08:30 AM
Banned

I only watch these select shows:

TV

The Office
30 Rock
It's Always Sunny in Philly

Download

Lost
Dexter
Trailer Park Boys
Flight of the Conchords
Entourage

DVD

Arrested Development
Band of Brothers
Old 07-03-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Both. If I've missed a couple seasons of a show I get interested in I'll buy the DVDs. If it's something new (or not worth buying, i.e. Hell's Kitchen) I'll just DVR every episode.
Old 07-03-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Primarily DVD. I think the only shows I watch on TV "real time" (well, DVR delayed) are the Simpsons and the Venture Brothers. There are a few shows I'm interested in on cable networks, but we don't get the premium channels, so we just wait for the DVD (Dexter).
Old 07-03-08, 04:20 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

We've been playing catch up on shows on DVD, so we rarely watch series anymore on TV with the exception of comedies etc such as 'King of Queens', 'Family Guy' etc that get so many repeats. Of the shows we do watch "live" it's always via the DVR since the commercials are a pain.