Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

CMT Crossroads: Def Leppard/Taylor Swift DVD (Walmart/Sam's Exclusive) 06/16/09

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CMT Crossroads: Taylor Swift and Def Leppard to Be Released on DVD as a WALMART EXCLUSIVE on June 16, 2009

1. Photograph
2. Picture to Burn
3. Love Story
4. Hysteria
5. Teardrops On My Guitar
6. When Love and Hate Collide
7. Should've Said No
8. Pour Some Sugar On Me
9. Love *
10. Two Steps Behind *
11. Our Song *
* - (Bonus Track)

<marquee>Don't forget to watch Def Leppard & Taylor Swift perform on CMT AWARDS June 16th were they are nominated for 2 awards together!
Original story about the episode!
Spoiler:
From DEFLEPPARD.com: NASHVILLE, July 1, 2008 - Great Britain's premiere arena rock band and one of country music's hottest stars will come together for another episode of CMT CROSSROADS. CMT CROSSROADS: DEF LEPPARD AND TAYLOR SWIFT premieres Friday, Nov. 8 on CMT.

Before an invitation only audience in Nashville in October, Swift will join her all-time favorite rock band on stage for a night that is sure to be a memorable one for the young star.

"Every time I've seen Crossroads on CMT I've always thought, 'If I ever get to do one of those, it HAS to be with Def Leppard!,' so this is really a dream come true for me," says Swift. "I have been screaming the words to Def Leppard songs for years so it's amazing that I'm going to get to share a stage with them this year!"

"How cool is this?! Country's hottest young star wanting to work with us!!" says Def Leppard's Joe Elliott.

Def Leppard and Taylor Swift join an elite group of performers who have taped CMT CROSSROADS, which pairs country music stars with popular artists from other genrespop, rock, R&B to play together, swap stories, and share their common love of music. Previous episodes of CROSSROADS have included Lindsey Buckingham and Little Big Town; Bon Jovi and Sugarland; John Fogerty and Keith Urban; Kelly Clarkson and Reba McEntire; Joss Stone and LeAnne Rimes; Robert Plant and Alison Krauss; and most recently Maroon 5 and Sara Evans.

With more than 65 million albums sold worldwide and two prestigious Diamond Awards to their credit, Def LeppardJoe Elliott (vocals), Vivian Campbell (guitar), Phil Collen (guitar), Rick "Sav" Savage (bass) and Rick Allen (drums) continues to be one of the most important forces in rock music. Over the course of their career, the band has produced a series of classic groundbreaking albums that set the sound for generations of music fans and artists. The group's spectacular live shows, filled with powerful melodic rock anthems, have become synonymous with their name and are an institution in the touring industry as they continue to sell out arenas worldwide. The band is gearing up to release "C'MON C'MON," the second single off of their 14th studio release, "SONGS FROM THE SPARKLE LOUNGE" (Bludgeon Riffola/Island/UMe). The track is set to impact radio Monday, June 30 and follows hot on the heels of the album's the hit debut single "NINE LIVES," featuring country music superstar Tim McGraw, which sat atop the Classic Rock chart at #1 for four weeks and climbed to #13 on Mainstream Rock radio. "SONGS FROM THE SPARKLE LOUNGE" was released on April 29 and debuted at #5 on the Billboard Top 200, earning Def Leppard their highest-charting debut since "ADRENALIZE".

Widely hailed as the first bonafide country music star of the MySpace generation, 18-year-old Taylor Swift currently has singles climbing both the country and pop radio charts. At the age of 17, Swift became the youngest person to single-handedly write and sing a number-one country single entirely on her own ("OUR SONG" spent six consecutive weeks at #1 atop Billboard's Country Singles Chart), and she is the first female solo artist in country music history to write or co-write every song on a platinum-selling debut CD. At 14, she signed a publishing deal with Sony/ATV Music, and in 2006 released her self-titled debut CD on Big Machine Records. Taylor Swift has reached triple-platinum (3 million sales) status and has spent 20 weeks so far in the #1 position atop Billboard's Country CD Sales Chart. Swift is consistently ranked Country's #1 artist on MySpace, and was named Country Music's Hottest Female Artist of 2007 by AOL Music and Best New Artist of 2007 by the editors of iTunes. Swift was named this year's Top New Female Vocalist by the Academy of Country Music, and won 2008 CMT Music Awards for Video of the Year and Female Video of the Year. She was recently named Superstar of Tomorrow at the 10th Annual Young Hollywood Awards, making her the first musician to ever receive this prestigious award. She is the reigning CMA Horizon Award winner, as well as the Nashville Songwriters Association International's Songwriter / Artist of the Year. Swift is on tour this year with Rascal Flatts, and has also toured with George Strait, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill and Brad Paisley.

CMT CROSSROADS is presented by Alltel Wireless, the first title sponsor of the critically-acclaimed series. Alltel is owner and operator of the nation's largest wireless network and has 12 million customers. CMT CROSSROADS is produced by Tom Forrest and Kathryn Russ. John Hamlin, Margaret Comeaux and Bill Flanagan serve as executive producers for CMT. For more information on CMT CROSSROADS log on to CMT.com.

Last edited by bigjim25; 06-02-09 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-01-08, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Ugh.

"How cool is this?! Country's hottest young star wanting to work with us!!" says Def Leppard's Joe Elliott.
WTF, Joe? It should be the other way around.

I'm putting High N Dry on right now and pretending this goes away.

On a side note, have you guys listened to Phil's new band/album? Some of the stuff is pretty good.
Old 07-01-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
My favorite band and a hot chick.

There are worse ways to spend an hour watching TV.
Old 07-02-08, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grrrr, as someone who doesn't like Bush (and associates the country market as intolerant considering the way they treated k.d. lang for being a lesbian and Dixie Chicks for being anti-war), I hate that so many of the hard rock bands of the 80's are courting the red state market to stay relevant, first Bon Jovi, now Def Leppard. There are a lot of us who love those bands and don't subscribe to that mindset.
Old 07-02-08, 02:26 AM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
My favorite band and a hot chick.

There are worse ways to spend an hour watching TV.
Yeah, she's a hot chick.

Aren't you a bit disturbed at the direction though? She wasn't even born when Def Leppard did some of their best stuff, and Joe's quote is sounding gracious of her? The only reason she is somewhat popular is because she is good eye candy, she is nothing special musically.

I was hoping the latest album (i like it a lot), was looking like a good future. (Oh how I miss the Steve Clark influence!)

I mentioned it before, but do you like Phil's bands new album?
Old 07-02-08, 06:47 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
Ugh . . . I'm putting High N Dry on right now and pretending this goes away . . .
Old 07-02-08, 07:49 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
The only reason she is somewhat popular is because she is good eye candy, she is nothing special musically.
I actually like her songs and I appreciate the fact that she writes them.
Old 07-02-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As a PR guy, I can safely assume Joe's quote was written by a PR guy. The executives' quotes in my press releases are written by... me.

I'm fine with this as long as it's a one time thing--not a double headlining tour. Sting sang with Puff Daddy at some awards show, but it's not like they're partners now.

I think Man Raze is worth a listen so far; I've only heard a few tracks. I hate hate hate the name and think it will hinder them. It sounds like they should have a float in a pride parade--not that there's anything wrong with that.

I thought the Cybernauts album was fantastic.
Old 07-02-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
grrrr, as someone who doesn't like Bush (and associates the country market as intolerant considering the way they treated k.d. lang for being a lesbian and Dixie Chicks for being anti-war), I hate that so many of the hard rock bands of the 80's are courting the red state market to stay relevant, first Bon Jovi, now Def Leppard. There are a lot of us who love those bands and don't subscribe to that mindset.
$$$ trumps mindset
Old 07-02-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I see alot of little kids watching for Taylor and saying Mommy, what does Pour Some Sugar On Me mean?
Old 07-02-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by covenant
$$$ trumps mindset
why not try to rock harder than ever before instead of conceding to cater to the redneck market? I like some country music, but I have zero respect for that community for the way they treated The Dixie Chicks and k.d. lang.
Old 07-03-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
why not try to rock harder than ever before instead of conceding to cater to the redneck market? I like some country music, but I have zero respect for that community for the way they treated The Dixie Chicks and k.d. lang.
It's called the music business. There are sound business decisions and there are unsound ones. In retrospect the Dixie Chicks made an unsound one. You don't alienate your base, it's bad for business.

And you got the K.D. Lang one all wrong.....it was her association with PETA they got her in trouble with the country music community. http://www.afterellen.com/archive/el...ic/kdlang.html
Another regrettable decision.

This sounds like a good opportunity for Def Leppard to get some new listeners or folks who haven't listened since the 80s.

Last edited by covenant; 07-03-08 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-06-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
which one's Swift
Old 11-07-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I just set my DVR.

"9 Lives" with Tim McGraw rocked enough that I'm not too worried about Def Lep going too redneck.
Old 11-07-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

video of the "Photograph" performance

http://www.cmt.com/videos/def-leppar...tml?id=1597706
Old 11-07-08, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not gonna lie, I love me some Taylor Swift, so I'll try and check this out.
Old 11-08-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I actually like her songs and I appreciate the fact that she writes them.
Gotta agree with you on that.

As for Lep doing this show (and it was good, btw, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet), I say good on 'em for trying to reach some other markets. At this point, they really have nothing to lose. Sure, I would love for them to "rock harder", but since it's not likely to happen, why not try other avenues?
Old 11-09-08, 06:46 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I caught Photograph the other day while channel surfing and was pleasantly surprised at this collaboration. Ms. Swift at least had the vocal range to handle the song in a way that is long gone for Mr. Elliott.
Old 11-09-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Gotta agree with you on that.

As for Lep doing this show (and it was good, btw, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet), I say good on 'em for trying to reach some other markets. At this point, they really have nothing to lose. Sure, I would love for them to "rock harder", but since it's not likely to happen, why not try other avenues?
Hey, their latest album (Songs From the Sparkle Lounge) was actually pretty darned good. One of their harder edged efforts in a while. It's no High 'N' Dry, but it's good.
Old 11-09-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Hey, their latest album (Songs From the Sparkle Lounge) was actually pretty darned good. One of their harder edged efforts in a while. It's no High 'N' Dry, but it's good.
Oh, I agree. I didn't mean to imply they stopped making good records, in fact they haven't made one I didn't like. Rather, I meant that their album sales aren't what they used to be.
Old 11-09-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Rather, I meant that their album sales aren't what they used to be.
Album sales are dead all around, there are a few flukes like AC/DC and Metallica, but most vet acts aren't selling these days
Old 11-09-08, 02:17 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I just got done watching the videos from the cmt site. I think I need a cold shower now, she was smoking.
Old 11-09-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Album sales are dead all around, there are a few flukes like AC/DC and Metallica, but most vet acts aren't selling these days
Yes, but Lep's albums haven't really been selling the numbers the did for years now - long before album/CD sales started to slump. True, it'd be hard for anybody to reach the kind of numbers they did with Hysteria, and hardly anybody can even reach the type of numbers they did with Adrenalize (which I think was around the 3 to 4 million mark) anymore. But the hits packages aside, I don't think they've sold barely more than a million copies of any record that they've released since. It may be more if you include worldwide sales, but not by too much. That would include Slang (in '96), Euphoria (in '99), X (in '02), Yeah! (in '06), and Songs From The Sparkle Lounge (this year).

Maybe I should have said "popularity".
Old 11-11-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I checked out the show and I gotta say... I liked it. Taylor Swift did pretty good on Def Lep's songs. And I haven't heard any of her stuff, but I liked Def Leppard's addition to it. It made me want to check out some of her stuff... her music too
Old 11-11-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
I argee with the fact she is very talented but she is way too skinny for my tastes. She looks like Mary-Kate or Ashley with long, curly hair. Someone give that girl a hamburger and a Coke to put some meat on her bones.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.