Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

OUTFEST - L.A. Gay/Lesbian Film Fest JUL 9-21

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking at schedule for the 26th Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Film Festival, and noticed that many of the screenings are movies I saw here in NYC at Newfest (the NY GLBT Film Festival) last month, and thought I'd share a few thoughts on some of them.

Here's the list of the ones I've seen, and if anyone wants more info on any of them, let me know:

ANOTHER GAY SEQUEL
CLAPHAM JUNCTION
DREAM BOY
EQUALITY U
FASHION VICTIMS
MULLIGANS
ON THE OTHER HAND DEATH
SATURN IN OPPOSITION
TRU LOVED
UNIVERSE OF KEITH HARING
WERE THE WORLD MINE
WHIRLWIND
WRANGLER

For starters, let me say none of these are a total waste of time, but if you miss out on FASHION VICTIMS (pleasant German comedy, bordering on farce)or WHIRLWIND (a not-very-nice person tries to destroy romances and friendships among a close-knit group of gay men), you're not missing much.

The four best movies:

SATURN IN OPPOSITION - (from the director of Steam: The Turkish Bath) This is a well-written and beautifully crafted drama (with some genuine laughs) about two gay men and their extended family, consisting of both gay and straight friends. When tragedy strikes, we see how this extended family deals with it both as individuals and as a "family". This a a quality film that will most certainly have a theatrical life, and hopefully receive some attention during awards season - it deserves it. It's in Italian with subtitles.

MULLIGANS - written by and starring Charlie David of Dante's Cove fame, co-starring Thea Gill. Another solid drama, this one about a father finally admitting certain things to himself when he encounters his straight son's college friend, who is openly gay.

WERE THE WORLD MINE - this was the closing night film here at Newfest, and left everyone on a natural high! A cute gay outcast at an all-boys prep school turns his casting as Puck in the school's production of Midsummer Night's Dream into an opportunity to modify the small-town homophobia that's all around him. Mesmerizing photography, some magical fantasy, some amazing musical numbers, and a happy ending!

DREAM BOY - What can I say - this movie, which I saw three weeks ago, keeps haunting me. It's based on the novel of the same name by Jim Grimsley, takes place in late '70s rural Louisiana, and is a total emotional experience. Co-starring Stephan Bender (15-year old Clark Kent in Superman Returns) and Max Roeg (youngest son of director Nicholas Roeg). This is a must-see.

I guess I should also mention that Another Gay Sequel is great fun, but be warned - its model is all the teen gross-out straight movies, and it's not for the faint of heart, with some distinctly kinky behaviour captured on film! Leave your mother at home for this one!