Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

XBox 360 HD-DVD drive $39.99 @ Best Buy

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

For those interested in either a "backup" drive or just wanting an HD-DVD drive, Best Buy is now selling them for $39.99. Here is the SKU:8132095. If you ask for it, be sure to ask an employee to check the computer with the SKU # and be sure to pay attention to the stock on-hand field when they look it up. Some employees will just not bother checking the back and say "they don't have it".

For anyone near the Irvine, CA BB store, don't bother asking any of the employees, there is a section of video games (and video game cage) that is near the checkout line against the wall. When you look, you'll see it blocked off and a sign saying "Employees only past this point" or something. The XBox 360 HD-DVD drives are on the right side sitting on the shelf. It's very easy to grab one and is very accessible. They have 5 left.

This could be YMMV as the Best Buys I have been to have them in the back or may be unwilling to sell one to you. I went to the Best Buy store in Irvine and I saw the tag on the shelf for the XBox 360 HD-DVD drive (no drives though). I asked an employee if he could check other stores to see if they had them. He looked up the SKU in the computer and told me they had 7 on hand. He asked someone else to help me (one of the media guys). He went to go grab one from the front and gave one to me. I was in line, ready to checkout, then the same guy comes back and grabs it from me saying "oh I need to check something".

Befuddled, I wait for him to come back. He comes back and tells me, "We can't sell it to you, we need to send it back cause it's "hi-def". I asked to speak to a manager and told him what had happened. Apparently, he was the one that sent the media guy to take it back from me, giving some BS excuse that he couldn't sell it to me and that he had to send it back to Microsoft. I got really pissed off, I said this was ridiculous and that I was ready to checkout with the product physically in my hand. He said he couldn't do anything more. I asked him for a number to call and to complain. I ended up driving to another Best Buy to get the drive with no hassle. The funny thing was, a friend of mine went to the same Best Buy yesterday where they gave me the problem, and he was able to purchase it with no problems. I did call the number and talked to a Consumer Relations representative and she filed a complaint for me.

Well anyway, if this helps anyone out, great. If I posted this in the wrong forum or has been previously posted, I apologize.

Last thing, I was able to get this drive to work with my PC. PM me if you'd like to know how.

Last edited by alfredog1976; 07-01-08 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is $5 at K-Mart.
Old 07-02-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
It's easy to find at Best Buy, nearly impossible at K-Mart.