Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Arrested Development movie confirmed

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/mo...30153709990001
(June 30) -- Development of a long-rumored movie version of the Fox sitcom "Arrested Development" is no longer arrested.

Jeffrey Tambor, who played the patriarch of the endearingly dysfunctional Bluth family during the show's critically acclaimed three-season run, confirmed that the film is in the works while talking to EW.com at the premiere of "Hellboy 2" on Sunday.
Old 07-01-08, 08:38 AM
Banned

More news stories

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7011463582

Jeffrey Tambor, who plays George Bluth, Sr. on the cult-hit TV show "Arrested Development," has confirmed that an "Arrested" movie is in the works.

"After months of speculation, I think we have finally figured out for sure that we are indeed doing an 'Arrested Development' movie
," says Tambor, according to EW.com.

Numerous "Arrested" cast members have publicly expressed in adapting the show, which was canceled back in 2006, to the big screen.

The wit-driven sitcom aired for three seasons on FOX before it was canceled. Along with Tambor, Jason Bateman, Portia de Rossi, Will Arnett, Jessica Walter, and Michael Cera also starred in the series.

"I am very excited about that. I love that cast and crew and I felt like we had more to say," says Tambor.
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/...ffrey%20Tambor
Bluth family lovers, rejoice! Former Arrested Development costar Jeffrey Tambor has confirmed published reports that a movie version of the Emmy-winning Fox comedy is in the works. “After months of speculation, I think we have finally figured out for sure that we are indeed doing an Arrested Development movie," Tambor told EW.com at the premiere of Hellboy II on Sunday. "I am very excited about that. I love that cast and crew and I felt like we had more to say."

The series, which aired for three seasons, starred Jason Bateman, Portia de Rossi, Jessica Walter, Will Arnett, and Michael Cera. The single-camera comedy was beloved by critics, but was never a ratings bonanza for Fox, which canceled the show a year after it won the Emmy award for best comedy.
Old 07-01-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m afraid I just blue myself.

I want to see this flick more than any other film coming out now that it's official. If I went to a theater and the AD movie was playing with The Dark Knight, I'd totally see AD first. I'm just about the biggest AD fan you'll ever meet, so this is great news to me.

Last edited by Brent L; 07-01-08 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-01-08, 08:58 AM

The scary thing is I could see an AD movie easily topping $100 mil at the box office... Excellent news!
Old 07-01-08, 09:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Just more proof of God's existence. Great news.
Old 07-01-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just went through all the seasons of AD on Hulu.com, and I couldn't be more excited for this. Great news!
Old 07-01-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good thing Fox finally greenlit this. I was about to do the chicken dance.

Originally Posted by jackepstein
The scary thing is I could see an AD movie easily topping $100 mil at the box office... Excellent news!
If they market it right and it's not too continuity-heavy like the TV series, yeah I could see it being huge.
Old 07-01-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazing. Finally, I can't wait for the film. I was just watching some Season 1 last night, I freakin love it!
Old 07-01-08, 12:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
to the news.

to the $100 million predictions. Come on!
Old 07-01-08, 12:19 PM
Banned

Unless everyone and their mother started watched the AD DVD's there is no way this movie will make more than $50 million
Old 07-01-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JPRaup
Unless everyone and their mother started watched the AD DVD's there is no way this movie will make more than $50 million
I'll get to work on that.

MOM!

Old 07-01-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by JPRaup
Yep, "Remember Serenity" should be a pretty good mantra for everyone here. Cult status on TV doesn't (necessarily) equate into box office gold.
Old 07-01-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Yup, sadly but surely.

That said, the cast from AD are doing pretty well right now and have branched out (which I can't say was true for Serenity at the time), Bateman especially had his career re-energized in the last couple years (The Kingdom, Juno, Hancock). Cera also seems to be up and coming (Juno, Superbad) and even David Cross finally got a hit (in the form of... Alvin and the Chipmunks....), Will Arnett's movie career has started taking off, Tambor is out promoting Hellboy II, even Portia is making the news (soon to be forever married to one vagina.) so at least there will be a little bit of star appeal that was lacking from Serenity. Plus considering the show, and it was a mighty fine stew, it shouldn't be too hard to get a few additional celebrities in there.

Who knows, it could be big or could stall at $30m.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-01-08 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-01-08, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yep, "Remember Serenity" should be a pretty good mantra for everyone here. Cult status on TV doesn't (necessarily) equate into box office gold.
True, but Serenity made about $25.5 million domestically and almost $39 worldwide. I would say it doesn't have even half the following AD has. Plus, now Bateman is somewhat of a star and Cera has a pretty huge following after Superbad and Juno. David Cross and Will Arnet also have a moderate following, but everyone that knows them has probably seen Arrested Development, so there won't be as much of a non-fan draw from them. If the film stands by itself and isn't heavily connected to the TV show (which would be a shame :/ ) I can see alot many people bringing their friends to the film. Overall I still don't see it making even $50 million....
Old 07-01-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
That's the thing though, you're writing it off that only fans of the TV Show would see it. If it is capable of being an authentically good movie with the subversive humor of the show, it should have no problem drawing a bigger audience than what is already built-in.

How big it is will depend almost entirely on how good the advertising is.
Old 07-01-08, 12:55 PM
Banned

Yeah, I understand. I was saying it would be a shame for non-fans if the film was dependent on the show's plot and inside jokes. I really don't see them doing that. I feel like they are going to make it stand on its own as a good film. The only thing is what made Arrested Development so good was it's callbacks to previous episodes and the plethora of inside jokes. I have faith that they will create a good mix. With that said no matter what they do, I will see this a number of times at the theater to support it. I daresay it might help to bring the show back.
Old 07-01-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 07-01-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not to be the wet blanket here, but I'd save your enthusiasm for word of an actual greenlight. Tambor simply echoed what most of the cast has been saying for a while now, including Bateman when we did a Q&A with him last week. Mitch Hurwitz is working on the script but that really appears to be it...I don't think any deals are in place.

The good thing is Bateman promises that the Hurwitz's idea feels like an actual movie instead of just a series of eps strung together.
Old 07-01-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I don't care how much it makes, I just want to see it happen.
Old 07-01-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 07-01-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, the movie is not greenlit yet.

Anyway, the math seems simple for me. Let's say the film costs a fairly reasonable $30m, being shot on DV. I guess 4 million people watched the finale. We'll say since then the fanbase has doubled (I think it has) but for the sake of argument we'll say 2m stay home. $8 a ticket times 6m $48m. Round up for a few repeat viewings and whatnot and you have $50m US box office. It could easily pull in another $50m on DVD, what with rentals and sales. That's enough to break the 3x profit margin that makes a movie "profitable". I think it will be easy for an AD movie to make its money back even without the help of the uninitiated.
Old 07-01-08, 10:58 PM

An Arrested Development movie is gonna attract all kinds of amazing cameos too, look what they were able to do just on TV.
Old 07-01-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Yeah, the movie is not greenlit yet.

Anyway, the math seems simple for me. Let's say the film costs a fairly reasonable $30m, being shot on DV. I guess 4 million people watched the finale. We'll say since then the fanbase has doubled (I think it has) but for the sake of argument we'll say 2m stay home. $8 a ticket times 6m $48m. Round up for a few repeat viewings and whatnot and you have $50m US box office. It could easily pull in another $50m on DVD, what with rentals and sales. That's enough to break the 3x profit margin that makes a movie "profitable". I think it will be easy for an AD movie to make its money back even without the help of the uninitiated.
I don't know about any of these numbers. The series finale mini-marathon only pulled around 3.3mm and while it's done steady DVD numbers, there's no other comparison I can think of that suggests that audience would translate to the box office en masse like you're thinking. I'm not saying it can't do ok, but it's an AR film is definitely a huge wildcard. I think $50mm might be ambitious, unless it catches a "Juno" wave which seems doubtful since it had strong DVD sales when it was still on the air, and that didn't really do anything for its ratings. But here's hoping.

Last edited by BJacks; 07-01-08 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-01-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

financials aside...

i sure as hell hope this gets made...

that show was beyond fantastic and it would be easy to make a great movie with all that talent involved... it seems it would be hard to mess it up...
Old 07-02-08, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I pray this sees the light of day.

= J

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.