Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Thinking about selling my Wii...a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about selling my Wii...a few Q's

I don't really play my Wii that much anymore and I find I am still buying and wanting games for my 360. So I am thinking of selling (probably on Craigslist). My question is what is a fair price? I've looked on craigslist but the prices are really up and down.

I also am going to include with it two controllers and nunchucks and Wii Sports, Resident Evil 4, Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart Wii with the wheel. Is there a website to find the going rate of these games used?

I'm definitely not looking to cash in with this, I just want what's fair for both parties. Also if anyone here wants to buy it let me know.

Edit: Also, should I erase information off of it if I do sell it? Like friends and stuff? is there an option to restore to factory settings, or do I have nothing to worry about?
Old 07-01-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I live in the Kansas City metro area and Wii's are still not found in stores regularly. I seem them on Craigslist going for around 250-200 used with the barebones remote, controller, and Wii sports. I'd estimate a bundle like you've proposed to be priced at around $400 based on what I've seen.

Of course, all I can see is what people are asking, not what buyers are paying.
Old 07-01-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ya thats the problem, I see what people are asking but not what they are paying. I don't people thinking I'm one of those jacking the price up to make a profit.
Old 07-01-08, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
As for the games, I'd check half.com and the amazon marketplace for a decent price gauge.
Old 07-01-08, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
If you put it up for $400, I'm guessing it'd sell pretty easily. Selling it for that wouldn't be jacking up the price, as you'd be selling it for less than the separate pieces would cost if purchased new. Look at it like a car that's only depreciated 10% in however long you've owned it.
Old 07-01-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ended up selling mine with all the extra stuff I bought and throwing in 2 games (one being super mario galaxy) for $220. I could have gotten alot more actually but I sold it to family.
Old 07-01-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
I can't imagine ever selling my Wii.
Old 07-01-08, 09:52 AM
Banned

I can't imagine ever buying a Wii.
Old 07-01-08, 09:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't think rehashing the tired old arguments about the merits (or lack thereof) of the Wii is going to help the OP.
Old 07-01-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
I can't imagine ever buying a Wii.
Good thing you're browsing a Wii thread!
Old 07-01-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sold my Wii for face value, and the games a discount to my friend.
Old 07-01-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't think rehashing the tired old arguments about the merits (or lack thereof) of the Wii is going to help the OP.
No but I got a chuckle.

Maybe I will try $400. Since I'm going to sell on Craigslist, I imagine I'll get a fair share of people trying to haggle me down.

If I were to sell it to a friend or family I would definitely sell it at a reduced price, but a stranger on Craigslist gets no love.
Old 07-01-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
Edit: Also, should I erase information off of it if I do sell it? Like friends and stuff? is there an option to restore to factory settings, or do I have nothing to worry about?

BTW does anyone know anything about this?
Old 07-01-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rocketsauce
BTW does anyone know anything about this?
There is an option to restore factory settings... which I believe also formats the system and gets rid of all the saved games.
Old 07-01-08, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I sold my Wii in January and included Wii Sports, Resident Evil 4, Rayman, Excite Truck, Zelda, an extra remote, and nunchuck for $400. It sold very easily.
Old 07-01-08, 04:08 PM

I've been thinking of selling mine for a while now. I've had it since Thanksgiving 2006. I loved it for a little while, but since then, it's been one of my most regretted purchases.
Old 07-01-08, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awil1026
I've been thinking of selling mine for a while now. I've had it since Thanksgiving 2006. I loved it for a little while, but since then, it's been one of my most regretted purchases.
Exactly how I felt. When I realized that I hadn't turned the thing on in over 4 months, I knew it was time to part ways with it.

To the OP, I deleted all of the saved game files (at the buyer's request) but left the two games I'd purchased from the Virtual Console intact. I never gamed online with it, so i had no friends list to delete.
Old 07-01-08, 05:31 PM

I LOVE the concept of the Wii. There are a few great games for it, but all of the crap-ware mini game compilations and animated movie licensed games are not appealing.

I thought about selling mine too when I got my 360, but Wii Sports boxing is one of the few games my 3.5 year old can play and he loves it. Plus, if I only turn it on at parties and a house full of people have a good time 2-3 times per year, it's worth it to me.
Old 07-01-08, 05:59 PM

I think I will probably keep my Wii, ultimately. I'll probably sell of Mario Kart Wii, though. Can't say I'm liking it much (and I've owned every iteration of Mario Kart except Double Dash and the GBA one). I'll be down to Wii Sports, Rez Evil 4, Mario Galaxy, and Zelda. I will say that each of those games has provided lots of entertainment, with RE4 being 1 of my favorite gaming experiences ever.
Old 07-02-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am contemplating finishing RE:4 before I sell it
Old 07-02-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed Wii Sports here and there, but for the most part, I never played the Wii at all.

I sold the following for $425 recently to a friend: Wii, 4 controllers, 2 nunchucks, classic controller, wireless sensor, wii sports, wii play, wii fit.
Old 07-02-08, 10:57 PM

I feel bad that I've only turned on my Wii once this year, when there are so many children in Ethiopia who don't even have one. Still keeping it though.
Old 07-02-08, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
They've done a great job in marketing the wii, as it's still scarce a bit to the common shopper. Nintendo tends to rely on their own games which are usualy good, but then go stagnant.

This is a great time to offload!
Old 07-03-08, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
It amazes me to see how many people think about dumping the Wii, and never play it, etc..., yet it's still hard to find, and as popular as ever. (To me), it's like an ipod, everyone has to have one, but once you get it, do you really use it like you thought you would? Sure you have people that use the Hell out of it, but more than 50% of the people (that I know that have one) barely use it.

I do have a launch Wii, and though I would've loved to have sold mine off a long time ago, every now & then my kids blow the dust off and play for a couple minutes. Plus, I/we keep holding on to games thinking that they will eventually get some play time, and by the time you realize they won't, they aren't worth a crap anyhow, so you may as well keep 'em.
Old 07-03-08, 05:43 AM

I love my iPod. As soon as they make one bigger than 160GB, I'm there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.