DVD Talk
So, how long are doctors required to give notice before closing their practice? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : So, how long are doctors required to give notice before closing their practice?

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
06-30-08, 12:56 PM
Well, I got a letter dated June 24th from my doctor (I received it June 26th) stating that he would be closing his practice effective June 30th. I think that this is awfully short notice. Granted, I haven't seen him in years, but I know someone else who sees the same doctor, and has not received notification yet either, and this person just saw him maybe a month or two ago.

Just out of curiosity, are there any rules or regulations regarding this?

matta
06-30-08, 01:17 PM
Why would it matter? Sure it would suck if they gave you a prescription on the 29th and you don't try to fill it until the 30th, but otherwise, just call the doctor's office and ask for a reference to another doctor.

Minor Threat
06-30-08, 01:18 PM
Damn - with logic like that - you've got my vote - sheer brilliance!!!!!

GradVT06
06-30-08, 01:25 PM
Why would it matter? Sure it would suck if they gave you a prescription on the 29th and you don't try to fill it until the 30th, but otherwise, just call the doctor's office and ask for a reference to another doctor.

Aren't you legally allowed to have copies of or access to all of your medical records? What if I wanted copies of visit notes, tests done and results, x-rays, etc for myself or for future doctors' tests/comparisons?

What does all that stuff go?

NotThatGuy
06-30-08, 01:29 PM
In the psych world there are some stipulations about making adequate accommodations if you close your practice (accounting for unstable patients, having available referrals, etc) and I'd assume physicians have similar standards in regard to referrals.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
06-30-08, 01:34 PM
Aren't you legally allowed to have copies of or access to all of your medical records? What if I wanted copies of visit notes, tests done and results, x-rays, etc for myself or for future doctors' tests/comparisons?

What does all that stuff go?

well, had that happen a few years ago too. basically, they send your records to a records management company, and basically, you have to contact them to get your records. it's been many years, but iirc, they charge you a small fee, and if you're lucky and they find your records, then you'll get them.

GradVT06
06-30-08, 01:55 PM
<----learned somethin new today!

well, had that happen a few years ago too. basically, they send your records to a records management company, and basically, you have to contact them to get your records. it's been many years, but iirc, they charge you a small fee, and if you're lucky and they find your records, then you'll get them.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
06-30-08, 02:01 PM
Just to add that the thing i mentioned above happened because they filed bankruptcy or the sort. If your doctor sold the practice to another doctor, then the records would move to the new doctor, unless you inform your doctor otherwise.

El Scorcho
06-30-08, 02:03 PM
You know I used to wait two days to close my practice, but now it's like everyone in town waits two days. So I think three days is kind of money. What do you think?

matta
06-30-08, 02:10 PM
Just to add that the thing i mentioned above happened because they filed bankruptcy or the sort.

They still must make provisions to keep the files available for 7 years or the doctors in the practice can lose their licenses.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
06-30-08, 02:36 PM
They still must make provisions to keep the files available for 7 years or the doctors in the practice can lose their licenses.

yes, they made provisions by sending the files to a records management company. however, in my experience, their record keeping is very spotty. They may have your file, but how much of it they have is unknown.