Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : New DVD with fingerprints?

ItsNotMe
06-30-08, 11:29 AM
I received the 3rd season of House this past weekend and one of the discs had fingerprints all over the top of it. Has this ever happened to anyone? I'd never seen fingerprints in new, sealed discs before.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
06-30-08, 11:30 AM
Someone has to put them in the case. It's shown up before.

Mikael79
06-30-08, 12:20 PM
While I've never personally seen fingerprints on any of my new DVDs, I wouldn't be too alarmed unless the DVD case sticker looked unusual. Where did you buy it from? If you're not going to get over it - just exchange it for another one.

06-30-08, 01:15 PM
I'll also bet that the case says Made in Mexico. Last time someone brought this up, that was the one that had the most fingerprints.

BuckNaked2k
06-30-08, 01:20 PM
I'll also bet that the case says Made in Mexico. Last time someone brought this up, that was the one that had the most fingerprints.The worker must have had a burrito for lunch, right before your DVD was packed.

TheDuke
06-30-08, 01:56 PM
Now now, let's not get racist.

06-30-08, 03:09 PM
Now now, let's not get racist.

I'm being serious. There's been threads about this in the past and people said the ones with fingerprints had Made in Mexico on the case. It was a few years ago when the studios started having the discs printed in Mexico instead of whatever Asian country they used before.

Here's someone that had fingerprints and foot print
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8089181&postcount=14

Here's a couple cases of fingerprints under the plastic
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=444834&highlight=fingerprints

ernestrp
06-30-08, 03:56 PM
Someone has to put them in the Dvd cases. Probably forgot/didnt want to wear the Dvd handling gloves as your hands get hot and sweaty after awhile.

Seantn
06-30-08, 04:46 PM
I'm being serious.

Racist!

WillardC
06-30-08, 04:49 PM
I just opened a new copy of Elevator to the Gallows I got today and it had fingerprints on the first disc. First time that's ever happened with a Criterion disc for me.

I just cleaned them off. No problem.

Mr. Salty
06-30-08, 05:29 PM
It was a few years ago when the studios started having the discs printed in Mexico instead of whatever Asian country they used before.
It wasn't an Asian country, it was the United States. I know a lot of people who were put out of work in Pinckneyville, Illinois, when Technicolor shut down the DVD and CD pressing plant there and moved to Mexico. And it wasn't the only Technicolor plant in the U.S. that was shut down.

06-30-08, 06:31 PM
It wasn't an Asian country, it was the United States.

Close enough.

speedy1961
06-30-08, 06:33 PM
The worker must have had a burrito for lunch, right before your DVD was packed.

:lol:

ItsNotMe
06-30-08, 07:07 PM
It does say "Disc made in Mexico" on the back. lol

I don't think I'm gonna bother exchanging the set because the fingerprints are only on the top of the disc. Anyway, thanks for the help.

johnbook
07-01-08, 10:15 AM
It wasn't an Asian country, it was the United States. I know a lot of people who were put out of work in Pinckneyville, Illinois, when Technicolor shut down the DVD and CD pressing plant there and moved to Mexico. And it wasn't the only Technicolor plant in the U.S. that was shut down.

Damn that sucks, my buddy works for Technicolor here in Livonia, MI, he's worked there for over 15 years.

Walter Neff
07-01-08, 10:18 AM
That's not racist. Everyone knows that Mexican people have fingerprints and Asian people don't.

Sathlin
07-01-08, 11:21 AM
Someone has to put them in the case. It's shown up before.

1. umm you're telling me they wouldn't be wearing gloves first?

07-01-08, 12:34 PM
1. umm you're telling me they wouldn't be wearing gloves first?

The gloves they wear have fingerprints and in some cases footprints.

crs
07-01-08, 01:49 PM
Aren't the discs placed in the cases robotically, atleast for titles that are pressed in hundred of thousands or millions of copies. Must be one hell of a job if it's done manually. I had the impression this was only done in smaller duplication plants.

I guess the gloves are off for Dr. House, though.

Alan Smithee
07-02-08, 06:02 AM
I got one new disc (I never buy used!) that had a noticable fingerprint on it; I should have had it scanned to find out whose it was! On some DVDs and other media I've seen areas where the disc was handled by suction-cup devices.

I'm sick of those "Made in Mexico" discs- I've gotten a few that were defective, and of course that factory was largely responsible for making DVD-18s synonymous with defective! (They're great when they work, but this factory can't make them right!) The savings the studios got out of these weren't passed on to the consumers, and now I learn that some Americans lost their jobs over them too??? I'm just glad many are marked as made in Mexico on the outside, so I can think twice about buying them!

Flicker
07-02-08, 08:31 AM
Seems to me it would be easy to find out who was the last person to handle the disc. Just check the fingerprint(s). Might be a little expensive though. LOL

Mr. Cinema
07-04-08, 06:46 PM
This has happened to me numerous times. Is there some reason they're not wearing gloves?

Mr. Salty
07-04-08, 06:56 PM
This has happened to me numerous times. Is there some reason they're not wearing gloves?
They're probably just picking up the ones that fell off the assembly line onto the floor.

David Levine
07-04-08, 10:22 PM
Aren't the discs placed in the cases robotically, atleast for titles that are pressed in hundred of thousands or millions of copies. Must be one hell of a job if it's done manually. I had the impression this was only done in smaller duplication plants.

I guess the gloves are off for Dr. House, though.

It depends on the packaging and number of discs. A single Amaray is virtually always automated, but a multi disc set (like a season of a TV show) is almost always manually packed.

DarthPrime
07-04-08, 10:35 PM
Seen some fingerprints, but I've seen worse.

I recently got a copy of From the Earth to the Moon and disc 2 was actually glued into the case. It was that "rubber" glue and it was easily removed, and luckly didn't harm the disc. Still very odd.

mr. b_dvd
07-05-08, 12:44 AM
I got one new disc (I never buy used!) that had a noticable fingerprint on it; I should have had it scanned to find out whose it was! On some DVDs and other media I've seen areas where the disc was handled by suction-cup devices.

I'm sick of those "Made in Mexico" discs- I've gotten a few that were defective, and of course that factory was largely responsible for making DVD-18s synonymous with defective! (They're great when they work, but this factory can't make them right!) The savings the studios got out of these weren't passed on to the consumers, and now I learn that some Americans lost their jobs over them too??? I'm just glad many are marked as made in Mexico on the outside, so I can think twice about buying them!

Are you serious? Why stop there? Most of today's major American companies have gone across the border and overseas in some form or fashion so they can save on labor expenses. Almost all toys are made in other countries. Most of our electronics is made in other countries, althogh they might be put together here. Hell, I bet the American computer you are typing on wasn't entirely made here (if it's a Dell, HP, or Mac). Just about every car that is Made in America is put together with parts made in other countries. I know it sucks that Americans lose jobs all the time when a factory closes only to reopen in another country, or a corporation decides to outsource part of their company to increase profits. I wish we lived in a society where this didn't happen, but it is what it is. What about dvds made in other countries? Their okay to buy because no American lost their job? How can you be so sure that they didn't. Man, I can understand if you want to think twice about buying a dvd because of the possible quality of it, but to say you'll think twice about it because a factory was closed down is a bit much. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but face it, our corporations love to exploit the grossly underpaid, overworked countries of the world just so we can have our merchandise at a great price, and they can make the profits they want.