Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What do you have your children call your neighbors?

Buttmunker
06-30-08, 10:51 AM
In the old days, you had your kids refer to neighbors by "Mr & Mrs So-and-So," then the old days vanished, and now the neighbors became known by their first names. Of course, this wasn't the case with all families, as some of them kept the class of the old days alive.

How about you? Do you teach your kids to call their neighbors by their last names [example] "Mr. Carlin" or by their first name: "George." Or by something else completely different?

crazyronin
06-30-08, 10:58 AM
I teach them to leave the neighbor's dog alone.

Groucho
06-30-08, 11:07 AM
I have them address them by the felony they've been convicted under on the sex offender registry.

fiver
06-30-08, 11:10 AM
It was so ingrained in me to call other adults by "Mr and Mrs so-and-so" that I have a hard time calling anyone in a position of authority over me by their first name - it took me forever to call my first boss by his first name, even though that was the common practice.

I still call my mother-in-law Mrs, because I just don't feel she's close enough to call anything else;)

Michael

Timber
06-30-08, 11:29 AM
It makes me uncomfortable when people call me Mr. or Sir so I tend to not do that when I'm talking to other people.

JWAR
06-30-08, 11:30 AM
I have them address them by the felony they've been convicted under on the sex offender registry.

Sounds like you need to move! rotfl -ohbfrank-

FunkDaddy J
06-30-08, 11:59 AM
I've found that neighbors want THEIR kids to call me "Mr. XX," so I generally have my kids follow suit, just so everyone's on the same page. For close neighbors, they sometimes use "Mr. Steve," for example. I usually tell neighborhood kids to just call me Mr. B. That sticks fast.

Mordred
06-30-08, 12:03 PM
I usually tell neighborhood kids to just call me Mr. B. That sticks fast.Is this a good way to lure them into your van?

kvrdave
06-30-08, 12:04 PM
Depends on whether or not they are current with rent.

Arthur Dent
06-30-08, 12:06 PM
Don't have kids, but I try to keep things as informal as possible. And I don't like being called Mr. _________ at all.

The Edit King
06-30-08, 01:27 PM
'Chip', as in:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x148/paul3rd_bucket/SpiderMonkey.gif?t=1214850428

mndtrp
06-30-08, 03:14 PM
I'm not sure what the old days are considered, but as I was growing up in the '80's, I called my neighbors whatever I was introduced to them as. If I was introduced to them as Mr. whatever, I would call them that. If I was introduced by their first name, that's what I would call them.

As for everybody else:

My parents are Mom and Dad. My grandparents are Grandma and Grandad. My friend's parents were called by their first names, but never nicknames. Teachers were always a Mr. or Mrs./Ms./Miss. I'll occasionally use a Sir or Ma'am, but there isn't much rhyme or reason to when I employ it.

Nothing has changed to this day with me. Every one of those people are still called what I called them as a child. When I bump into an old teacher, they are still the Mr./Mrs.

The Edit King
06-30-08, 03:24 PM
Sounds like you were raised to be one mighty fine lad. :up:

gilbertr76
06-30-08, 03:35 PM
I'm not exactly sure why, but the childrens in my 'hood refer to all of the adult women as "Miss (insert first name here)," while only first names are used for the men folk.

The wifey and I have just gone along with the flow on this one... :shrug:

calhoun07
06-30-08, 06:33 PM
Bitch and jackass.