Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Repo! The Genetic Opera -- Rock opera from LionsGate

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know there is another thread with the title of "Paris Hilton starring in organ harvesting musical", but that is not going to get any views, especially with that title. Can you combine this thread with that one, and make it so this thread title is the one used? It deserves to have the movie's name in the headline.

Anyway, the official trailer is here, and I'm really interested in seeing this:

http://divertissement.sympatico.msn....6-85050d80f1fa
Old 06-27-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been interested with Anthony Stewart Head joined the cast.

The film has box office disaster written all over it, but I am sucker for a balls-out rock musical.
Old 06-27-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
This is actually getting a theatrical release?
Old 06-27-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes.
Old 09-07-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The official website is up. http://www.repo-opera.com/

You can watch a higher quality trailer, listen to most of the soundtrack on the site, and it looks like there's a bunch of other neat things to check out. Looks really good, I hope to see this soon!
Old 09-07-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At first I thought this was a musical version of Repo Man, which I actually would have preferred. Some interesting visuals though.
Old 09-08-08, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've wanted to see this and for some reason I think this'll be a cult film if it's good, cuz I can't see this thing making money...
Old 09-08-08, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lionsgate is only opening this film in "select markets."

Considering what happened with the "select market" release of Midnight Meat Train, I guess I'll have to wait for DVD.
Old 09-15-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Download "Mark it Up" mp3 for free when you register on this site.
Old 11-11-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Lionsgate is only opening this film in "select markets."

Considering what happened with the "select market" release of Midnight Meat Train, I guess I'll have to wait for DVD.
Ironic now that I said it considering Las Vegas was one of the eight markets where the film opened up this past Friday. Good for me.

This film doesn't deserve the bad reviews it's getting, but then again, when was the last time in which we got a film that ...

1) ... mixed elements from the musical, comedy, horror and sci-fi genres with a little bit of social commentary thrown in for good effort.

2) ... contained almost no spoken dialog as everything is sung (like a true rock opera unlike say the Rent musical adaptation three years ago).

To be honest, it is a very hard flick to get into and it's no surprise that Lionsgate had no clue what to do with the film. You can't really advertise a hard-R rated musical, horror, comedy film to the masses with no big name stars (except Paris Hilton) and get people to buy into it.

For those who are game, the film is a wonderful surprise hidden in a year where mostly shit has been released. Yes, it's a really weird movie, but it's got great music, visuals, and some of the cast dominates their roles (Anthony Stewart Head needs more work in Hollywood, pronto).

Darren Lynn Bousman needs to also get more attention from the studios. For the fact that this is his fourth film, it looks like it cost a lot more to make than it's $8 million budget. Then again, he did make three Saw films prior that all cost under $10 million to make.

I'll be buying the DVD release in January, that's for sure.
Old 11-11-08, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I downloaded the soundtrack from iTunes a few nights ago - love it!

Can't wait to pick up the DVD.
Old 11-11-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Ironic now that I said it considering Las Vegas was one of the eight markets where the film opened up this past Friday. Good for me.

This film doesn't deserve the bad reviews it's getting, but then again, when was the last time in which we got a film that ...

1) ... mixed elements from the musical, comedy, horror and sci-fi genres with a little bit of social commentary thrown in for good effort.

2) ... contained almost no spoken dialog as everything is sung (like a true rock opera unlike say the Rent musical adaptation three years ago).

To be honest, it is a very hard flick to get into and it's no surprise that Lionsgate had no clue what to do with the film. You can't really advertise a hard-R rated musical, horror, comedy film to the masses with no big name stars (except Paris Hilton) and get people to buy into it.

For those who are game, the film is a wonderful surprise hidden in a year where mostly shit has been released. Yes, it's a really weird movie, but it's got great music, visuals, and some of the cast dominates their roles (Anthony Stewart Head needs more work in Hollywood, pronto).

Darren Lynn Bousman needs to also get more attention from the studios. For the fact that this is his fourth film, it looks like it cost a lot more to make than it's $8 million budget. Then again, he did make three Saw films prior that all cost under $10 million to make.

I'll be buying the DVD release in January, that's for sure.
Agreed, I think this film is great fun.
Old 11-11-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Love the soundtrack.

There is showing of the film about 30+ minutes away from where I live. I might have to try and catch it Thursday or Friday night.
Old 11-11-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend saw it in Austin and dug it a lot. I'm seeing it thursday in KC. I've talked to Anthony Head, Terrance Zdunich, Bill Moseley, and Darren Bousman, and they seemed natural about their love, not just shameless plugging. I'm stoked.
Old 11-14-08, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those of you who have caught screenings, have any of the screenings sold out?

I am seeing the movie tomorrow with some friends and wondering if I should get tickets ahead of time.
Old 11-15-08, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got back from seeing this with 4 of my friends.

It totally slipped my mind that this movie may not be for everyone. In the end I felt kind of bad that I rounded up as many of my friends to see this film. Then again they did want to go after seeing the trailer

I really liked this film. It didn't help that I have been listening to the soundtrack almost non-stop this week. I really enjoyed the performances (especially Anthony Stewart Head, Bill Moseley, and Ogre) and the songs were fantastic/memorable.

I'm glad I will be getting another chance to see the movie with another friend tomorrow. Taking him to see it for his birthday since he's been wanting to see it. I saw tonight's showing in a small theater and it didn't help the guy behind me felt the need to comment loudly on everything. Why would you pay $9.50 for a film and just yap/mock it throughout it's entirety? My friends were also sort of doing the same when they weren't into the film.

At least one of them liked it!
Old 11-15-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I absolutely loved this film. Got the soundtrack from amazon friday. I'm glad that mainstream won't like this, it makes it all that more special for those who do. Anthony Head was amazing.

Hell, even Paris wasn't bad.

I feel special enough to see it.
Old 11-17-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I, too, loved this flick. Just awesome.

I'm under the impression that Anthony Head needs to be cast in every musical going forward.
Old 11-17-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been listening to the soundtrack non-stop since I've caught the flick.

I feel like I need to see it a second time before it leaves Vegas.
Old 11-17-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, is there any chance at all that lions gate might release this a tad wider? As i really wanna see this, and its playing nowhere near me.
Old 11-17-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This Friday, November 21st it is supposedly coming out in a few more cities.
Old 11-17-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah Bousman thinks they'll do a few cities here, keep in in there for like two days take it out, different cities, repeat then redo the prior cities-building word-of-mouth. Terrance Zdunich told me people at the LV showing were chanting "F*ck Lions Gate!" prior to the movie! lol
Old 11-18-08, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i can't believe anyone actually liked this...from what i've seen it's absolutely horrendous. i liked this blurb on RT (it's at 27%):

The film is bad -- not good-bad, tacky-bad or fun-bad, just plain awful and nearly unwatchable.
I don’t know if words can describe just how awful and disgusting and insulting this movie was to watch.
Old 11-18-08, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's why it is better to go and find out yourself instead of having other people tell you. ESPECIALLY a film like this.
Old 11-18-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
That's why it is better to go and find out yourself instead of having other people tell you. ESPECIALLY a film like this.
Exactly. It's not for everyone, especially critics who only like dramas or something. It's not awful in any stretch of the imagination it's just it's so odd and offbeat most mainstream critics don't know what to make of it, so they're writing it off as crap, which is unfair.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.