Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PSP movie playback?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
PSP movie playback?

How do you continue a movie at the point where you stopped the movie and turned the system off? Or does it not have a resume feature on it.

Also does the PSP play avi files and if not are there plans to add this feature in a future firmware update?
Old 06-24-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
How do you continue a movie at the point where you stopped the movie and turned the system off? Or does it not have a resume feature on it.

Also does the PSP play avi files and if not are there plans to add this feature in a future firmware update?
UMD and MPEG-4 files only for now. Can't speak to future plans.

Since the resume feature is pretty new even to the PS3, I'm going to assume that it does not exist on the PSP, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-24-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

I know I have movies in an avi folder. PSP 9 converts avi and mpeg files into psp video files.

If read off a movie is read off a memory stick and then is stopped (or if the function is changed to photo, music or game), the movie will resume from the last played spot. If you switch to a new video playback file, or if you reboot the PSP, then the system won't resume from last played spot.
Old 06-24-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by awil1026
UMD and MPEG-4 files only for now. Can't speak to future plans.

Since the resume feature is pretty new even to the PS3, I'm going to assume that it does not exist on the PSP, but I could be wrong.
For UMDs would I just hit play as it boots up? I just bought the god of war version and was watching super bad. Resume didn't work just by doing nothing at all like the the PS3 does.
Old 06-24-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
With UMD movies, mp3 and video on the stick it will remember where you left off unless you do a full power down or play a different MP3, video file or take out the UMD disc.

It doesn't have the resume feature like the PS3 where it seems to remember every DVD you play, but it will resume on the last file as long as you don't completely turn it off.
Old 06-24-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Decker
I know I have movies in an avi folder. PSP 9 converts avi and mpeg files into psp video files.

If read off a movie is read off a memory stick and then is stopped (or if the function is changed to photo, music or game), the movie will resume from the last played spot. If you switch to a new video playback file, or if you reboot the PSP, then the system won't resume from last played spot.
What he said. If you just flick the power button up when it is paused (to go into sleep mode), it will remember where you left off as well.
Old 06-24-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the replies people.

I kind of thought that is how sleep mode would work. Is there any problem with leaving it in sleep mode for a couple of days.
Old 06-24-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
No. It's not like the DS. On the PSP sleep = off. So it drains the battery very slowly. When you turn it back on, it resumes.
Old 06-25-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the replies people.

I kind of thought that is how sleep mode would work. Is there any problem with leaving it in sleep mode for a couple of days.
No. I sometimes leave mine that way for weeks.