Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Night Watch Director's Cut Japanese R2

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-08, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently it seems that Fox Japan released the Original Russian cut of Night Watch in Japan and I've been looking for it for a while now. They released it by itself last year and it will be re-released next month in a DVD directors cut double pack with the sequel

I want to ask, does anyone here own this? Amazon Japan link

It's known that for the international version (the 114 minute version) FOX pretty much made up a large portion of the movies subtitles. If anyone here owns this Japanese Director's Cut DVD, are the english subtitles more accurate or do they keep the made up stuff from the International version (IE: Anton being a "Seer" and stuff like that)?
Old 06-26-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I'm a little surprised that I'm not seeing that same item listed at yesasia.com -- that said, I'd personally suggest checking out the R2 UK edition at amazon.co.uk - surprisingly it includes both versions (still haven't watched the US cut myself) -- unlike the R2 UK edition of Day Watch (to the best of my knowledge).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Watch-...4530392&sr=1-1

edit again - suddenly I'm wondering if I've actually watched my UK edition or if I'm just remembering my old R5 Russian disc that I recently mailed to a friend. -- son of a bitch.... I know I never watched an edition with an english voiceover before -- that's what I get for reading things so carelessly....that's a real kick in the nuts.

edit again - I doubt the subs will be much different on a Fox brand disc but haven't seen anything on the japanese discs. You could ask at cdjapan or yesasia though - they might know.

Last edited by Tuan Jim; 06-26-08 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-26-08, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
I'm a little surprised that I'm not seeing that same item listed at yesasia.com -- that said, I'd personally suggest checking out the R2 UK edition at amazon.co.uk - surprisingly it includes both versions (still haven't watched the US cut myself) -- unlike the R2 UK edition of Day Watch (to the best of my knowledge).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Watch-...4530392&sr=1-1

edit again - suddenly I'm wondering if I've actually watched my UK edition or if I'm just remembering my old R5 Russian disc that I recently mailed to a friend. -- son of a bitch.... I know I never watched an edition with an english voiceover before -- that's what I get for reading things so carelessly....that's a real kick in the nuts.

edit again - I doubt the subs will be much different on a Fox brand disc but haven't seen anything on the japanese discs. You could ask at cdjapan or yesasia though - they might know.
I read that the UK subs for the Russian cut are only in subtitles for hearing impaired, which is why I haven't bought it.

I guess I'll take the plunge on the Japanese R2 and hope for the best. At least it isn't obscenely expensive.
Old 06-26-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The UK 2 Disc,
Disc 1 and 2 have the SAME cut of the movie, same length.
The only difference being, disc 1 has the film with Russian or English audio with English subtitles.
Disc 2 has the version with the specialized subtitles.

As for the Japanese director's cut, it has Japanese or English subtitles for the feature, 8 minutes longer than the international cut of the film.

I havent seen it but I can check it out at the store today.