Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Alone in the Dark

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alone in the Dark

I couldn't find a thread on this game...it comes out tomorrow for the Wii and 360 (BB includes a $10 GC with purchase). From what I've read, the PS3 version is being worked on, but doesn't have a set release date yet.

I couldn't find any reviews, has anyone seen one?

I have a Wii and PS3: I would prefer better graphics, so I think I'll wait for the PS3 version......unless I can be convinced otherwise.
Old 06-23-08, 10:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Reviews have been mediocre for the 360 version:

Metacritic: 69%
GameRankings: 71.5%

The biggest complaint seems to be the controls. Maybe they're better in the Wii version, but I haven't seen a review for that yet.
Old 06-23-08, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are they calling this one simply Alone in the Dark instead of Alone in the Dark 5?
Old 06-23-08, 04:21 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Old 06-23-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Reviews have been mediocre for the 360 version:

Metacritic: 69%
GameRankings: 71.5%

The biggest complaint seems to be the controls. Maybe they're better in the Wii version, but I haven't seen a review for that yet.
Ouch. The game looked incredible. I have it in my rental queue.
Old 06-23-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Not sure it means much in legal terms, but the original two are still available as "Abandonware".

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/91...he+Dark+1.html
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/89...he+Dark+2.html

Worth a play through for those that never have.
Old 06-25-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I picked this up yesterday because it looked great, but so far I have to say I agree with the reviews the controls thus far are crap. Hopefully it will get better, I'll put some more play time in tonight.
Old 06-25-08, 08:32 AM

360 version got a 3.5 on IGN.
Old 06-25-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I heard one of the 1UP guys on review say that things do pick up in an interesting way later in the game. Anyway, sounds like something that's rental only, or maybe bargain bin down the road.

Btw, for the original poster, I would definitely recommend waiting for the PS3 version. If there's a chance that any of the kinks can be ironed out then it might happen in that version since it still has a few more months in the oven.
Old 06-25-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a crapload of games to play right now. Waiting a few months for the PS3 version is certainly the plan.
Old 06-25-08, 11:46 AM

I was really looking forward to this game as well. Looks like I won't be picking up this game anything soon, or until it hits the $19.99 or lower price point.
Old 06-25-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
I have a crapload of games to play right now. Waiting a few months for the PS3 version is certainly the plan.
Don't worry, you'll be done with Lost sooner than you think.
Old 06-25-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
So I've heard.
Old 06-26-08, 01:33 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I rented it yesterday, but I was out all day/evening, so I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I was really looking forward to the game, so I rented it, despite the mediocre review scores. I haven't played a survival horror game this generation and it's about time one that isn't absolutely horrible (some of its reviews have been decent. I don't believe the 3.5 review,) came out.

(I rented the 360 version.)
Old 06-26-08, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Lost has been dropping like a rock in price at least. I'm going to wait until it's $10 to pick it up, just as a novelty to the show!

I'm like the biggest AITD fan ever. It's killing me to wait but I decided to get the PS3 version in the Fall. The game does look really cool and I can't believe other horror games have not used the coat inventory thing.

To answer Taffer's question, I think one of the developers mentioned that they dropped the '5' near the end of development because they hoped to restart the franchise instead of just tacking on another one. The game was in development for some time so they probably had a lot of changes to make.

There is also some controversy about the game's reviews.

After several European websites had given the game average or low ratings, publisher Atari threatened the responsible websites with lawsuits, claiming the reviews could not have been based on the final version since it was not available by the time they were published; Atari themselves had not delivered review-versions to them. The publisher suspected the reviewers to have used illegaly downloaded versions of the title. However, review website Gamer.nl claims that it was in fact sent a legitimate copy of the game prior to its release by Atari executives and, after the review was published, "They explicitly told [Gamer.nl] that they only let high scoring reviews break the post-release embargo date." Gamer.nl still has the offending review posted on the website, despite Atari's wishes.[14] In addition Atari claimed that reviews were not done as demanded by the official product-review standards at all and should be deleted immediately. Most other websites have defended their reviews and refused to delete their articles. So far it is unclear whether or not Atari will decide to sue these websites.[15][16] In the meantime other editors of magazines specialized in gaming stated, that it was possibly provoked to get attention and clicks on their websites, due to the predictability of Atari's reaction.
Old 06-26-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I wanna call shenanigans on IGN's 3.5/10 review. It's not a great game, but there's no way it deserves something that low. And a 6/10 for graphics that look well above average (the fire is amazing) and [in IGN's own admission] "run well", is quite suspect. I'm gonna come out and say that maybe the publisher didn't advertise with IGN as much as IGN had wanted to...
Old 06-26-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
...SNIP...
I'm gonna come out and say that maybe the publisher didn't advertise with IGN as much as IGN had wanted to...
[sarcasm]No that would be unethical there can't be any of that going on between publishers, and media.[/sarcasm]

I did finally make it past the driving bit I was stuck on and played a couple more hours last night. I'm enjoying the story line thus far, though the camera annoys me at times. I've gotten a better grip on the controls and I do like being able to combine items although it seems somewhat limited so far.

Last edited by Edison; 06-26-08 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-27-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

An interesting low to mid-range gamespot review that may be encouraging to anyone who thought the game was an irredeemable turd.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...s&subj=6193075
Old 06-27-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was really hoping this game would be great, but I guess not

I'll still give a try after I play Bad Company though...
Old 06-30-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
I've been watching Armake21s review on youtube and it sounds like a good game. He's debunked a lot of bullshit these reviewers have been saying that make the game look bad. Never trust the critics on the sites. The independants that are not getting paid and are doing it for fun and are much more reliable/truthful.
Old 06-30-08, 04:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm just disappointed that they couldn't get Christian Slater to reprise his role and voice Edward Carnby.
Old 06-30-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really looking forward to get this game. The review is SHUT me down and i'll not drop $10 for this game. My $$$ now go to Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Old 06-30-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Having seen the review on Gamespot, and the coverage on 1UP Yours and the 1UP show I would feel pretty comfortable about dropping $10-15 on this. Clearly highly flawed but has some merit.
Old 06-30-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
From today's PA:

I can tell you with full knowledge, yes, I know what you have read. You may even have read it here. You have heard about control oddities and weird glitches. It may be that you have come to believe you can skip the game without ill effects. And you're wrong.

We must to endure this conversation over and over as adherents of the medium, this "innovations versus gimmicks" thing. The truth of this is very straightforward, actually. Innovations are just gimmicks you happen to like. And Alone in the Dark is almost nothing but innovations, from beginning to end, gameplay innovations, cinematic innovations, inventory innovations, you name it, and I mean innovations according to Noah Webster as opposed to GameFAQS. That they took an old workhorse like Alone in the Dark and set it to this task is a nice bit of nostalgia. That [Eden] turned Survival Horror on its head is something they won't be given credit for until ten years from now, for its audacity and its vision, when all the cool kids retroactively decide that they really liked it.

<hr>

This is a game I am willing to try. My guess is by Xmas it will be $10.
Old 06-30-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I'll pick it up when it's on the cheap. Not a big fan of horror games but I want to give this a try.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.