DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Ultimate Soprano's Set - November 11, 2008

scoot95
06-23-08, 07:31 AM
"Due Nov. 11, just in time for the holiday gift season, it weighs in at 10 pounds, with 86 episodes on 28 DVDs. Three CDs of soundtrack music. And two discs of bonus material, including 16 "lost" scenes, an interview of creator David Chase by Alec Baldwin, roundtable discussions with writers and stars and Sopranos spoofs from The Simpsons, Saturday Night Live and Mad TV. There's also a panel discussion from the Paley Center for Media among "Whacked Sopranos" actors reflecting on their regrettable but necessary exits.

But it won't come cheap: The suggested list price is $399.99, $100 more than the complete Sex and the City."

USA Today Article (http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2008-06-22-sopranos-dvd-main_N.htm)

2 days before my birthday. Maybe I should start dropping hints at my wife......

Pretty damn expensive though. I wonder what kind of packaging it will come in.

redcat
06-23-08, 08:05 AM
This thread inspired me to check amazon for current prices - I didn't realize some of the seasons had actually lowered in price. Seasons 1-5 are listed at $39.49 each, with season 6.1 and 6.2 at $50.99 and $51.99 (still ridiculous). So the whole set would be $300 buying them individually, and obviously not getting the extras in the November collection. So if it's MSRP $400 for the collection, does that mean a place like amazon should have it for about $300 at release?

PixyJunket
06-23-08, 08:46 AM
I've been waiting for this annoucnement, well the Blu-Ray version, which isn't mentioned. :( :mad:

rfduncan
06-23-08, 09:30 AM
I've been waiting for this annoucnement, well the Blu-Ray version, which isn't mentioned. :( :mad:
Now THAT would be "ultimate"! I'd buy a complete Blu-ray set in a heartbeat.

DeputyDave
06-23-08, 09:35 AM
As a special bonus it will include the final 5 minutes of the last episode.

dvd182
06-23-08, 09:42 AM
As a special bonus it will include the final 5 minutes of the last episode.

Now that we got that out of the way...

But yeah, where's the Blu-ray?

scoot95
06-23-08, 09:46 AM
But yeah, where's the Blu-ray?

I am scared to see how much that would cost.

chris_sc77
06-23-08, 09:58 AM
Those dirty, dirty bastards.
I was expecting this but I am still so mad. I know I'm gonna have to buy this cause its pretty much my favorite entertainment ever but still this is crazy. Hopefully we will get new commentaries as well. Also it would definitely be nice for those 3 cd's of music to be NEW and not the old CD's but I'd bet its just going to be the old CD soundtracks.
Hopefully this will be available for around $200 sometime this Xmas.

slop101
06-23-08, 10:49 AM
I could do without the CD soundtracks. Just gimme the show and the new extras with cool packaging...

But the gouging is lame - they've already made their money back on this show many times over - this complete set should not cost more than buying all the previous seasons separately.

Xbox69
06-23-08, 11:12 AM
This will most likely coincide with DD's Fall sale. :) I'm guessing a place like Amazon would have it for $350 maybe.

Geofferson
06-23-08, 11:47 AM
Figured it was only a matter of time...

Buttmunker
06-23-08, 12:02 PM
Since I have all the box sets, I'm wondering if they will eventually release the extra material outside of the "Ultimate Soprano's Set."

Did they ever do anything with the "Roundtable" discussion on the Seinfeld box (like releasing it separately)?

Buttmunker
06-23-08, 12:03 PM
I held off buying The Wire, and since the last season is due out this summer, I'm hoping for a complete Box for this series, which I would snatch up in a heartbeat.

Ethan VanSciver
06-23-08, 12:44 PM
Wonderful! And "Lost Scenes?!" It's a dream come true. :)

terrycloth
06-23-08, 01:13 PM
i have never been able to watch this show despite always hearing such great things...been wanting to pick up the seasons so i guess ill hold off on a sale on this set.

David Levine
06-23-08, 01:17 PM
Hopefully this will be available for around $200 sometime this Xmas.

I doubt anyone will have it for 50% off MSRP less than 2 months after it streets.

I'd predict 350.00. Maybe someone will go 330.00.

But I'd bet it's NEXT Xmas before we see sub 300.00

chris_sc77
06-23-08, 01:23 PM
I doubt anyone will have it for 50% off MSRP less than 2 months after it streets.

I'd predict 350.00. Maybe someone will go 330.00.

But I'd bet it's NEXT Xmas before we see sub 300.00
Well, I dont know I remember getting the James Bond Ultimate Editions (1-4)for over a 50% discount. And I got the Complete Definitve Twilight Zone and Six Feet Under Box set for about $150-160 each (about 50%) when they came out.
If a possible unmentionable 20% off sale happens when this comes out (which it should) I wouldnt be surprised to see this set at around $200-$240 bucks

MTRodaba2468
06-23-08, 01:27 PM
It was only a matter of time...

jmj713
06-23-08, 01:48 PM
I hate exclusives. One of my favorite shows ever, but I'm sticking with the separate seasons.

Geist
06-23-08, 02:27 PM
Bring on the Blu-Ray.

Same for The Wire.

argh923
06-23-08, 02:28 PM
Wow.

I want it...but not at that price. HBO is absurd with these.

PixyJunket
06-23-08, 02:52 PM
Well, consider that the original sets were $100 a pop, at seven sets. :lol:

Chad
06-23-08, 02:54 PM
Fuck. I was gonna come in here and applaud my persistence for holding off on buying the prior sets ...not anymore.

Don't even wanna know the Blu-ray price. :eek:

macnorton
06-23-08, 03:05 PM
Bring on the Blu-Ray.

Same for The Wire.

Sopranos Blu-Ray is going to be awesome. I really hope they include a map of all the filming locations, just so I can mark off all the spots I pass daily.

The Wire...not so much. But I did read an interview with David Simon saying that all the remaining "bonus" stuff will end up on the final season DVD. Which means there is probably a good chance I won't get screwed by extras bonus stuff in the complete series set.

Geist
06-23-08, 03:54 PM
More of a reason to upgrade to the full season box if it's on Blu-Ray, though.

I think for a lot of people with investments in their DVD collection, the only thing that will make them shell out even more $ if it's likely to be the "Definitive" version of a series.

Bluelitespecial
06-23-08, 10:10 PM
If it does comes out on Blu-ray I would say it would cost a minimum of $499.99.

Rogue588
06-23-08, 10:14 PM
Bring on the Blu-Ray.Agreed. Anything less is unacceptable.

chris_sc77
06-23-08, 10:17 PM
I'm gonna go on record stating I really don't think the complete Sopranos Collection will be coming to Blu-ray.
Sorry, but I dont think the Blu-ray sales are enough to justify a set of this magnitude yet.

cracksky
06-23-08, 11:01 PM
I wonder what kind of packaging it will come in.

HBO Video plans on whacking a good number of consumers in the 4th Quarter when it releases The Sopranos: The Complete Series on Nov. 11 (prebook Oct. 7). The 33-disc collection features re-mastered versions of the award-winning series’ 86 episodes, three CD soundtracks, a 56-page photo album, a 16-page episode guide and a pair of bonus discs featuring such supplemental materials as 16 lost scenes, a sit-down dinner and discussion with creator David chase and other key cast and crew members, Sopranos spoofs, additional interviews and more. The set, which comes housed in a premium black linen box that weighs in at nearly 10 pounds, carries a suggested retail price of $399.99.

rmick
06-23-08, 11:04 PM
Until I feel weak after seeing the packaging, I am going to say I can stand strong and take this as my oppurtunity to pick up S6 Pt1 and Pt2 on the cheap while people are unloading to get the set.

chris_sc77
06-23-08, 11:46 PM
November 11 also happens to be my birthday I just realized. My favorite show ever coming out on my birthday. Sweet. Looks like I know what I'll be treating myself to this year.

Josh-da-man
06-24-08, 12:06 AM
I'm gonna go on record stating I really don't think the complete Sopranos Collection will be coming to Blu-ray.
Sorry, but I dont think the Blu-ray sales are enough to justify a set of this magnitude yet.

Agreed.

I have heard that TV on Blu-ray isn't doing that great, and neither are catalog titles. You look at the Sopranos (which, IIRC, has only the sixth season avaible on HD discs), and they would need to create Blu-ray discs for over sixty hours of television programming in order to get the first five seasons. That's a lot of effort and capital to expend for something that's still a niche market. I honestly don't see a complete Sopranos collection coming out on Blu-ray in the next five years. What they'll probably do is release each season individually, and then do a complete series after they've already released seperate seasons in order to maximize their revenue and recoup disc matering costs.

I really think that Blu-ray discs of television material is going to struggle for a while. There's too much material out there that would normally be the top shelf content that isn't fit for HD release. Like TNG, DS9, and Babylon 5 that would need to be remastered for HD and get the special effects redone; and Buffy the Vampire Slayer whose early seasons were shot on 16mm and look shitty even on standard DVD.

Goat3001
06-24-08, 04:12 PM
^Well I for one am hoping that you are wrong but my gut is telling me that you may be right. If they didn't mention Blu-Ray when they mentioned the entire set it is possible that there is not Blu-Ray just yet.

I'm happy I stayed away from the single season sets. This is a no brainer for me right now. I don't know how I'll feel in Nov. but right now I'm thinking that I may put off buying it for a few months to see what the news on Blu-Ray is.

Richard Malloy
06-24-08, 04:23 PM
I'm the perfect customer. "THE SOPRANOS" is not only one of my favorite TV series, but one of my favorite bits of filmed entertainment ever. And I've been waiting for the full set - waiting and waiting and netflixing and netflixing as I wait.

But I'm not buying this until it's on blu-ray.

The blu-ray of the 6th season blows away the SD releases. I'd rather catch reruns on HBO-HD than buy a standard def release.

jjcool
06-24-08, 04:55 PM
This is great news!! Bring on all the people that are gonna upgrade, and sell their season sets for cheap!!

chris_sc77
06-24-08, 07:31 PM
First pic of the boxset:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sopranos-The-Complete-Series/9919

mzupeman2
06-24-08, 08:23 PM
I think the first season could have been better picture quality wise, but is it really necessary to have a completely remastered series? Not quite too sure about that.

slop101
06-24-08, 08:46 PM
Looks like they're going for sort of a coffee-table-book vibe. Looks cool and all, but I don't care for displaying my dvds that way.

CaptainRon
06-25-08, 10:29 AM
I'm the perfect customer. "THE SOPRANOS" is not only one of my favorite TV series, but one of my favorite bits of filmed entertainment ever. And I've been waiting for the full set - waiting and waiting and netflixing and netflixing as I wait.

But I'm not buying this until it's on blu-ray.

The blu-ray of the 6th season blows away the SD releases. I'd rather catch reruns on HBO-HD than buy a standard def release.

Comments like this drive me nuts, so even though it could be years (possibly never) before blu-ray is released the crispness of the picture is more important to you that the content of this unbelievable show? I mean I understand why casual fans want to wait for blu-ray, or people who have the single season sets, but to avoid a show you love for its content because its not in HD? That's counterproductive.

I do think thought that HBO should come straight out and tell us what the deal is with Blu-Ray so people aren't avoiding this great set.

macnorton
06-25-08, 12:46 PM
Agreed.

I have heard that TV on Blu-ray isn't doing that great, and neither are catalog titles. You look at the Sopranos (which, IIRC, has only the sixth season avaible on HD discs), and they would need to create Blu-ray discs for over sixty hours of television programming in order to get the first five seasons. That's a lot of effort and capital to expend for something that's still a niche market. I honestly don't see a complete Sopranos collection coming out on Blu-ray in the next five years. What they'll probably do is release each season individually, and then do a complete series after they've already released seperate seasons in order to maximize their revenue and recoup disc matering costs.

I really think that Blu-ray discs of television material is going to struggle for a while. There's too much material out there that would normally be the top shelf content that isn't fit for HD release. Like TNG, DS9, and Babylon 5 that would need to be remastered for HD and get the special effects redone; and Buffy the Vampire Slayer whose early seasons were shot on 16mm and look shitty even on standard DVD.

I disagree. I think people are waiting for something like The Sopranos on Blu...that would be enough to get them to buy it. I held off buying them for years because I knew something bigger and better would come along. And granted I understand where CaptainRon is coming from, but why not wait for the best instead of settling?

One last thing, I can tell you this...I am from Sopranos Country and I can guarantee that people here will buy both the SD set and a Blu set when it is available.

Living Dead
06-25-08, 03:13 PM
I'd love to have The Sopranos on Blu, but with the ridiculous way that HBO prices their sets it will probably cost as much as a heart transplant.

rexinnih
06-25-08, 03:29 PM
First pic of the boxset:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sopranos-The-Complete-Series/9919

Damn that's nice looking.

Jack Straw
06-25-08, 03:32 PM
Comments like this drive me nuts, so even though it could be years (possibly never) before blu-ray is released the crispness of the picture is more important to you that the content of this unbelievable show? I mean I understand why casual fans want to wait for blu-ray, or people who have the single season sets, but to avoid a show you love for its content because its not in HD? That's counterproductive. Completely agree. To each his own, but waiting is f*&%in' nuts.

Richard Malloy
06-25-08, 04:26 PM
Comments like this drive me nuts, so even though it could be years (possibly never) before blu-ray is released the crispness of the picture is more important to you that the content of this unbelievable show? I mean I understand why casual fans want to wait for blu-ray, or people who have the single season sets, but to avoid a show you love for its content because its not in HD? That's counterproductive.
Of course not. As I plainly stated, this remastered set will be a welcome addition to my Netflix queue, and I'm looking forward to seeing the whole series again. But I'm not shelling out the big bucks until it's released in its full HD glory.

It would be imprudent of me to make such a large expenditure given the likelihood that a substantial upgrade is not long around the corner. Since Warner has already released an entire SOPRANOS season in HD, I don't find an imminent HD release of the entire series to be unlikely at all.

Till then, I can enjoy watching the remastered SD for the price of my Netflix subscription.

GreenVulture
06-26-08, 01:43 AM
Since Warner has already released an entire SOPRANOS season in HD, I don't find an imminent HD release of the entire series to be unlikely at all.
Are you sure of that when you say they're imminent? Granted, I don't follow HD that closely, but from what I've seen, virtually all TV-on-HD consists of the most current released season (or two), with no announcements made for previous seasons.

Like it's been suggested, I just think Blu-Ray and HD media in general is still too much in its infancy stage for HBO to consider a Blu release to be financially viable, especially since they charge more for their sets than other companies.

Just using Amazon's pricing as an example: even with their 30% discount, you're still paying close to $200 just to own all of S6 of The Sopranos. So it's fair to say you will be paying somewhere between $600 and $700 to own this box on Blu, and that's at a discounted price. I doubt more than a handful of people are willing to throw down that much cash at this point. Hell, just look at the people scoffing at the SD set's $400 price tag.

I'm sure somewhere down the line all seasons will be available on Blu-Ray, and perhaps this box set as well, but not until there are massive price drops in both hardware and software. Just don't act surprised if you or anyone else with the same plan are still Netflixing this thing a year (or even two) from now. Unless you're cool with that, in which case, disregard everything I just said. :)

(And now that I mention it, does anyone have the sales numbers for The Sopranos on HD/Blu? How does it stack up against the SD release and other HD/Blu TV sets?)

puddytay
06-26-08, 02:00 AM
prices are insane. these were 19.99 a season last black friday at walmart.

slop101
06-26-08, 02:34 AM
Costco usually has these big sets at a good 40 to 45% discount.

Richard Malloy
06-26-08, 10:32 AM
Are you sure of that when you say they're imminent?
Well, "imminence" may mean something different for different folks. Given Warner/HBO's strong commitment to the format, plus the fact they've released an entire season of "THE SOPRANOS" on blu-ray already, plus the fact that they're now sitting on a brand new HD-transfer of the series that was utilized for the upcoming SD release, I suspect a full BD release of the series should hit the shelves within a year or two. That might not strike you as "imminent", but man does time fly.

If we're waiting two years, I suspect I may watch the entire series twice in that time frame at most. And probably only once given that we're talking about 6 seasons' worth of episodes. Via Netflix, I'll certainly be starting from episode one as soon as the SD set is released - assuming of course that the quality is at least comparable to HD rebroadcasts on HBO - and of course watch the final season in glorious HD on the already released blu-ray sets.

Frankly, I'm astonished at the fast rollout of hi-def titles. I never suspected that studios like Criterion, Kino, Masters of Cinema, Optimum, Lionsgate and other smaller ones would already have announced their commitments to BD, and in some case already released a nice selection of films. Warner remains very much on the ball with an enormous number of already released titles and many more announced. Their commitment is absolutely clear.

So, "imminence" may not mean quite the same to you as it does for me. And if this were a favorite 2-hour film that cost only about $20, a potential HD release down the road may not be nearly imminent enough even for myself. But for a multi-season set containing 86 hours worth of episodes on 33 discs for over $300? I can wait for the BD, and get by via Netflix till then!

The Bus
06-26-08, 01:42 PM

No. I know it pays off in waiting, especially for shows that you know will be re-released as a complete series or on Blu-ray.

I want The Wire. I want Sopranos. I want Lost. But until the "complete series" is available or the season sets are a reasonable price ($25 or less), I'll wait.

ASAPadam
10-06-08, 09:12 AM
You can pick up the Sopranos complete series set for $209.97 (with free shipping) from the Warner Home Video store with the 30%-off code, ANWBTS. (Remember, you have to buy two items for the discount to work.)

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/Portal/product.jsp?OID=49948

That's almost half off the retail price. (If DD's price holds, the set would be about $224 during the November sale.)

I wish we knew if a Blu-ray set was coming, though...

stingermck
10-06-08, 09:18 AM
Hmmm. Tempting....

redcat
10-06-08, 10:59 AM
You can pick up the Sopranos complete series set for $209.97 (with free shipping) from the Warner Home Video store with the 30%-off code, ANWBTS. (Remember, you have to buy two items for the discount to work.)

That's almost half off the retail price. (If DD's price holds, the set would be about $224 during the November sale.)

So that would average $35 per season, assuming you're counting the final season as one. I'll definitely be considering this.

stingermck
10-06-08, 07:36 PM
Well lets see, there are 7 DVD sets released / $210 = $30 per set. Not bad.

DGibFen
10-06-08, 08:27 PM

I wish we knew if a Blu-ray set was coming, though...

If you want the cheapest thing, get The 11th Hour (http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/Portal/product.jsp?OID=49141). It's 5 bucks. (It's also an ok doc on the environment).

beetyke
10-06-08, 09:02 PM
Just curious if it has been officially confirmed that this set will include the commentary tracks from the previous releases?

MTRodaba2468
10-06-08, 11:17 PM
Of course not. As I plainly stated, this remastered set will be a welcome addition to my Netflix queue, and I'm looking forward to seeing the whole series again. But I'm not shelling out the big bucks until it's released in its full HD glory.

It would be imprudent of me to make such a large expenditure given the likelihood that a substantial upgrade is not long around the corner. Since Warner has already released an entire SOPRANOS season in HD, I don't find an imminent HD release of the entire series to be unlikely at all.

Till then, I can enjoy watching the remastered SD for the price of my Netflix subscription.

I understand your position fully (and if I had upgraded to Blu-Ray already, I'd probably hold off on buying as well), but I will say that it wouldn't surprise me if Netflix didn't bother carrying the remastered discs from the complete series set. They don't always carry the most recent editions of titles (I know that they tend to carry the older versions of Universal titles other than the newer Legacy Editions).

Just curious if it has been officially confirmed that this set will include the commentary tracks from the previous releases?

It wouldn't surprise me if they did. With that said, I wouldn't unload my sets just yet until it's confirmed.

actionjackson29
10-06-08, 11:56 PM
Is this a limited edition set? There are quite a few complete series sets coming out this year and I could've sworn at least one of them was limited.

GreenVulture
10-07-08, 11:25 AM
Just ordered that set using the code...thanks, ASAPadam!

Not that it would be a great loss if they were gone; the majority of the commentaries on the sets alternated between dull and uninformative.

rmick
11-03-08, 07:49 PM
Any word on this release yet? Any review copies?

I'm just particularly curious about whether earlier seasons were really remastered.

Bluelitespecial
11-04-08, 07:34 PM
I want to buy this, but I might have to wait until next year sometime due to the high cost.

slop101
11-04-08, 08:42 PM
FWIW, Costco tends to have the lowest prices on HBO box-sets.

I'd first check there.

jonboy71
11-06-08, 01:06 PM
Has anyone seen this yet?

GreenVulture
11-06-08, 11:07 PM
I was pleasantly surprised tonight to come home and find this set on my doorstep...holy crap, it is big, and it is heavy.

I'll post up some pics and impressions of the set later tonight.

GreenVulture
11-07-08, 12:52 AM
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/PICT0120_cr.jpg

Quick impressions (keep in mind I've been jumping around all over the set; haven't got a chance to really sit down and take in the entire thing):

THE PACKAGING
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/PICT0111_cr1.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/PICT0112_cr1.jpg
Very elegant, and expensive-looking (better be, for the price I paid). The outer box is made of very sturdy material, and the book is encased in a cloth-like black bag. The book containing the discs feels and looks like a heavy hardback (every run your fingers over a hardback book? That's exactly what it feels like). There are thin strips of removable styrofoam to ensure the book is packed tightly, hopefully reducing the chances of scratched up discs. The "pages" are thick cardboard with a glossy sheen to them, while the discs are housed inside the pages, 2 per side, using slits--a method I know a lot on here don't like (but doesn't bother me). There are no written intros or essays; just an episode guide, photos, credits for the soundtrack CDs, and guides for what's on the respective discs. Just the basics, but again, all elegantly laid out.

The whole thing weighs 6 pounds, and in a nod to the original boxes, has a strap at the bottom of the box that allows you to easily pull the book out.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/PICT0114_cr1.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/PICT0118_cr1.jpg

VIDEO
I'm really not the guy to ask, since I am not an a/v guru, and it's been awhile since I watched the first season, which had the most problems, so I can't do a suitable comparison. However, I took some screenshots with PowerDVD from the pilot and included them here:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00006.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00007.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00008.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00010.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00012.jpg

All the menus have a uniform look, and have been redesigned from the original sets.
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00002.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00003.jpg

BONUS DISCS (split into two DVDs):
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00018.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00014.jpg
Supper with the Sopranos (74 mins.) - split into two parts, this features David Chase along with several writers, directors and cast members (no Gandolfini though) reminiscing about the show, their favorite moments, behind the scenes stories, etc., with lots of laughter, wine and food.

Lost Scenes (approximately 30 mins.) - probably the most anticipated feature (well, at least for me), the 14 scenes, which range from 30 seconds to over 4 minutes, might disappoint some. There is no extra violence, no rumored alternate endings for the Vito storyline or the final episode, and no extra Bada Bing! :( But there are a lot of neat little character moments to be found; no earth-shattering revelations, but they're still worth a watch. Most seasons only have one deleted scene, but season 6 combined has seven total.

A note, btw: the deleted scenes come from a workprint, and can be very dark-looking at times.

Alec Baldwin Interviews David Chase (40 mins.) - split into two parts; the title pretty much explains it all. A bit clip-heavy, but from what I've heard, Baldwin does ask Chase some interesting questions, and Chase reveals some interesting things, including some of the more memorable/controversies storylines on the show, casting the actors, etc.

"Whacked" Sopranos (68 mins.) - shot on rough-looking video at the Paley Center in 2007, this gathers (as the title suggests) several of the actors who have met unfortunate ends on the show along with Chase. Haven't watched it yet, unfortunately.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00024.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00027.jpg

Extra Gravy (6 mins.) - a trio of short clips rounding up show parodies from "The Simpsons," "Mad TV," and "Saturday Night Live." Serves as a great reminder of just how unfunny (SNL) and unoriginal (Simpsons) these shows have become; it's a bad sign when "Mad TV" is the funniest offering here.

It should also be noted that all of the longer extras have chapter stops.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00029.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00030.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00031.jpg

All of the supplements from the older sets (including the commentaries) are on here as well.

So all in all, definitely worth the money, if you don't own any of the previous sets (I stopped after S4, mainly due to being cash-strapped and not getting around to finishing my collection when I had the money again). For those who do and are on the fence, the big selling point are the extras, which are lengthy and informative, but I have no idea if you think that is worth over $200.

slop101
11-07-08, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the thorough review and all the pictures. :up:

Now to decide if I should buy this in our current economy...

JZ1276
11-07-08, 03:56 AM

Quick impressions (keep in mind I've been jumping around all over the set; haven't got a chance to really sit down and take in the entire thing):

THE PACKAGING
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/PICT0111_cr1.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/PICT0112_cr1.jpg
Very elegant, and expensive-looking (better be, for the price I paid). The outer box is made of very sturdy material, and the book is encased in a cloth-like black bag. The book containing the discs feels and looks like a heavy hardback (every run your fingers over a hardback book? That's exactly what it feels like). There are thin strips of removable styrofoam to ensure the book is packed tightly, hopefully reducing the chances of scratched up discs. The "pages" are thick cardboard with a glossy sheen to them, while the discs are housed inside the pages, 2 per side, using slits--a method I know a lot on here don't like (but doesn't bother me). There are no written intros or essays; just an episode guide, photos, credits for the soundtrack CDs, and guides for what's on the respective discs. Just the basics, but again, all elegantly laid out.

The whole thing weighs 6 pounds, and in a nod to the original boxes, has a strap at the bottom of the box that allows you to easily pull the book out.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/PICT0114_cr1.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/PICT0118_cr1.jpg

VIDEO
I'm really not the guy to ask, since I am not an a/v guru, and it's been awhile since I watched the first season, which had the most problems, so I can't do a suitable comparison. However, I took some screenshots with PowerDVD from the pilot and included them here:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00006.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00007.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00008.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00010.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00012.jpg

All the menus have a uniform look, and have been redesigned from the original sets.
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00002.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00003.jpg

BONUS DISCS (split into two DVDs):
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00018.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00014.jpg
Supper with the Sopranos (74 mins.) - split into two parts, this features David Chase along with several writers, directors and cast members (no Gandolfini though) reminiscing about the show, their favorite moments, behind the scenes stories, etc., with lots of laughter, wine and food.

Lost Scenes (approximately 30 mins.) - probably the most anticipated feature (well, at least for me), the 14 scenes, which range from 30 seconds to over 4 minutes, might disappoint some. There is no extra violence, no rumored alternate endings for the Vito storyline or the final episode, and no extra Bada Bing! :( But there are a lot of neat little character moments to be found; no earth-shattering revelations, but they're still worth a watch. Most seasons only have one deleted scene, but season 6 combined has seven total.

A note, btw: the deleted scenes come from a workprint, and can be very dark-looking at times.

Alec Baldwin Interviews David Chase (40 mins.) - split into two parts; the title pretty much explains it all. A bit clip-heavy, but from what I've heard, Baldwin does ask Chase some interesting questions, and Chase reveals some interesting things, including some of the more memorable/controversies storylines on the show, casting the actors, etc.

"Whacked" Sopranos (68 mins.) - shot on rough-looking video at the Paley Center in 2007, this gathers (as the title suggests) several of the actors who have met unfortunate ends on the show along with Chase. Haven't watched it yet, unfortunately.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00024.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00027.jpg

Extra Gravy (6 mins.) - a trio of short clips rounding up show parodies from "The Simpsons," "Mad TV," and "Saturday Night Live." Serves as a great reminder of just how unfunny (SNL) and unoriginal (Simpsons) these shows have become; it's a bad sign when "Mad TV" is the funniest offering here.

It should also be noted that all of the longer extras have chapter stops.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00029.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00030.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z89/greenvulture/Sopranos00031.jpg

All of the supplements from the older sets (including the commentaries) are on here as well.

So all in all, definitely worth the money, if you don't own any of the previous sets (I stopped after S4, mainly due to being cash-strapped and not getting around to finishing my collection when I had the money again). For those who do and are on the fence, the big selling point are the extras, which are lengthy and informative, but I have no idea if you think that is worth over $200.

I already own all the seasons and dont think the packaging/extras (which I can netflix) alone would be worth the double dip unless there was a big difference in a/v quality from the original sets. Do you own any of the standalone seasons to compare?

Prowler
11-07-08, 04:06 AM

Great looking set! Thanks for the pictures.

I will be picking this up.

Judging by the screen captures, it looks like its remastered.

GreenVulture
11-07-08, 09:45 AM
I already own all the seasons and dont think the packaging/extras (which I can netflix) alone would be worth the double dip unless there was a big difference in a/v quality from the original sets. Do you own any of the standalone seasons to compare?
I do own some of the previous sets, but unfortunately I am leaving for work in about 20 minutes, and while I can get screen captures during downtime, I'm not sure if I can get them uploaded before I get home, since my work tends to deny access to photo-hosting sites.

Nevertheless, I'll take some of the old and new discs with me today and see what I can do.

GreenVulture
11-07-08, 01:53 PM
OK, here we go with comparisons. One thing I noticed today is that on the old set, the first disc of each season held the first four episodes, whereas on the new set, the first disc holds only the first three episodes.

From the episodes I sampled, S1 has definitely improved, image-wise, where the other seasons show some very minor improvements. As always though, the best way is judge yourself:

S1: "PILOT"

Old
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4050/soppilot01oldqq8.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

New
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/7089/soppilot01newxz6.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

Old
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8921/soppilot02oldbt2.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

New
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8960/soppilot02newve8.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

Old
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8778/soppilot03oldip5.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

New
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/8359/soppilot03newlc9.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

S2: "TOODLE-FU**ING-OO"

Old
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5623/soptoo01oldzc3.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

New
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/3370/soptoo01newiv1.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

S4: "WHITECAPS"

Old
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1438/sopwhite01oldad2.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

New
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/3033/sopwhite01newqh4.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

slop101
11-07-08, 03:29 PM
Looks more like improvements due to less compression than any sort of remastering.

stingermck
11-07-08, 03:35 PM
So are those some sort of plastic hubs under the disc, or just the cardboard? Thats a lot of money to shell out for paper/cardboard scratching the disc. Also what are the measurements of the box/book? Thanks!

Ace Of Spades
11-07-08, 04:02 PM
eh, I'll keep the old sets.

JZ1276
11-07-08, 07:13 PM
thanks alot....
i'm keeping my old sets also. didnt really expect any real improvemtn being that the originals are not very old.

Bluelitespecial
11-08-08, 12:24 PM
Is this a limited edition set?

BuckNaked2k
11-08-08, 01:57 PM
Noticed DD had pre-order listed at $278, while DVDPlanet has it at $312......

I will order this on Tuesday from DD at $208 if the pre-order price holds......if they pull any shenanigans with the price, I won't.

chris_sc77
11-08-08, 02:10 PM
Hmmm....$200 for 200 minutes of new extras. Tempting but i may have to pass.

dvdhook
11-09-08, 12:52 AM

Thanks for these pics - they were very helpful.

I'm always concerned about ordering these complete season collections because it takes so long to watch everything. And I'm worried that if I find a bad disc a few months after buying the set, I won't be able to return it. But it looks like they have packaged the discs pretty securely.

Noticed DD had pre-order listed at $278, while DVDPlanet has it at $312......

I will order this on Tuesday from DD at $208 if the pre-order price holds......if they pull any shenanigans with the price, I won't.

I was planning on doing the same thing.

BuckNaked2k
11-10-08, 05:31 PM
Holy Carp!

Price lowered to $258 at Deeeeep Discount......$193 after 25% discount (once active).

:banana:

JZ1276
11-10-08, 07:47 PM
Holy Carp!

Price lowered to $258 at Deeeeep Discount......$193 after 25% discount (once active).

:banana:

how and when do you get 25% off ?

BuckNaked2k
11-10-08, 08:51 PM
How and when do you get 25% off?

DD 25% Off Sale - It's ON! - ENDS 11/23 (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/543152-dd-25-off-sale-its-ends-11-23-merged.html)

Dean Kousoulas
11-10-08, 09:42 PM
Fantastic! I plan on getting this set through DD tomorrow, and sell back my Sopranos sets tomorrow. At around $100...I will bite on this upgrade.

david09
11-10-08, 10:26 PM
hi the best price for this is from deep deccount dvd
tusday 11 nov its about $192.00 thats with 25% off if you can find it cheeper
post it thanks david

david09
11-11-08, 07:17 AM
Hi just pick it at e bay $129 out the door

big mark up on this have a nice day.

stingermck
11-11-08, 08:21 AM
I hope its not one of these, because it doesnt look like the complete series to me:

edit. I was just using this as an example, sorry.

OldBoy
11-11-08, 08:34 AM
I hope its not one of these, because it doesnt look like the complete series to me:

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Sopranos-The-Complete-Series

um, yeah...you're really not allowed to link eBay auctions here.

scottp120
11-11-08, 10:14 AM
Glad I waited on buying the individual sets and picked up the complete series for less than $200 at DD.

BuckNaked2k
11-11-08, 12:42 PM
Hi just pick it at e bay $129 out the door

big mark up on this have a nice day.

edit. I was just using this as an example, sorry.Yea, I don't see anything within spitting distance of $129 on eBay.

Do a search for UPC 883929022311 to see what these are selling for.

Ethan VanSciver
11-11-08, 01:09 PM
I had to actually have it in my hands, which means Best Buy.

$249. It's gorgeous. And I gave the individual seasons to my next door neighbor, who's never seen the show.

stingermck
11-11-08, 01:09 PM
I think some people are selling the individual sets, but using the complete listing. That would piss me off to get individuals.

Korben82
11-11-08, 04:17 PM
Can anyone please post which subtitles does this edition include? Thanks!

mzupeman2
11-11-08, 11:17 PM
Also, just curious, are all the commentary tracks the same as what we already have?

More importantly, does any information on the set at all give a better answer as to what happened to Tony?

Ethan VanSciver
11-12-08, 06:46 PM
Also, just curious, are all the commentary tracks the same as what we already have?

More importantly, does any information on the set at all give a better answer as to what happened to Tony?

The discs of the show itself are exactly the same, content-wise, as the individual sets. Nothing was added or subtracted. There are two discs that contain all new bonus material, plus three soundtrack CDs.

I will say, having just watched the LOST SCENES, that they alone are worth the price of admission. I laughed aloud and my heart fluttered at two of them in particular, wonderful character moments that NEVER should have been cut. Watch Paulie buy Tony some beer. And then watch Tony and Bobby play with cherry bombs. There are rich moments here that further explain important events, especially from Season Two.

As for more information about how the show ended, there are two lengthy discussions with cast and creators over dinner where they speak of why the show ended the way it did, how it was planned prior, and how it affected them personally and with the fans they've met. They also discuss the possibility of a movie.

EVS

OldBoy
11-12-08, 07:20 PM
does anyone think or can project if this set will be lower in the near future? say around X-mas or perhaps Amazon will have a "Deal of the Day" sale with it?

just wondering if it will be lower than even the DD 25% Sale will have it for...

Dean Kousoulas
11-13-08, 12:31 AM
After watching both Dinner Discussions and the Alec Baldwin interviews, they all left me cold. All seem to cut off mid-discussion, as if they are only a preview for the full length features to be aired later.

Maybe it's just me. I could have watched a 4 hour interview with Chase and still want more.

slop101
11-13-08, 12:39 AM
How many minutes/hours of deleted scenes are there, and how long are these interviews/discussions?

Fromundacheese
11-13-08, 12:21 PM
I had the Sopranos season 1 -3 years back , I loved it but
I just never got around to getting more.

Man I want this set but what I need to know is there any chance this is gonna
come out on blu-ray? If so I am gonna hold off.

thanks

Fromundacheese
11-13-08, 12:22 PM
Id feel really dumb if I bought this set and 6 mos later it came out on Blu.

Shannon Nutt
11-13-08, 12:26 PM
They also discuss the possibility of a movie.

Which David Chase just recently said he has NO plans for whatsoever.

Dean Kousoulas
11-13-08, 06:33 PM
How many minutes/hours of deleted scenes are there, and how long are these interviews/discussions?

The 2 dinner discussions are about 25 minutes each...their is an hour long interview with Chase and the "whacked out" characters which was very good...and the 2 interviews with Chase by Alex Baldwin are about 25 minutes each.

The dinner discussions and the Baldwin interviews were obiviously not the entire discussions. They seem to cut off straight to credits.

I haven't watched the deleted scenes, but by browsing it looks like there are 1-2 per season.

OldBoy
11-13-08, 06:53 PM
approx. how many commentaries are there throughout the seasons?

Ethan VanSciver
11-13-08, 08:09 PM

The deleted scenes are 18 minutes or so in total, but there's something from every season presented here.

The discussions seem to go on forever, sometimes uncomfortably. Probably an hour each.

Ethan VanSciver
11-13-08, 08:11 PM
Which David Chase just recently said he has NO plans for whatsoever.

Yeah, but that's not exactly what he says here. He says he has no plans, but if, "god forbid", someone were to come up with a terrific idea, he'd consider it.

DJariya
11-15-08, 05:27 AM
I'm seriously debating whether or not to splurge on this. I actually bought all 6 seasons at the 1/2 off HBO TV set sale last Black Friday at Best Buy and although the Deep Discount price ($193), I'm having trouble justifying double-dipping when that money could be used for something more useful like Gas, Groceries etc.

Fromundacheese
11-15-08, 08:51 AM
I had the Sopranos season 1 -3 years back , I loved it but
I just never got around to getting more.

Man I want this set but what I need to know is there any chance this is gonna
come out on blu-ray? If so I am gonna hold off.

thanks

bumping my own post.

Anybody? Id like this answered asap cause I want this set , big time.

Bluelitespecial
11-15-08, 01:22 PM
I seriously doubt the whole series will make it to blu-ray, so I went ahead and bought the thing as well, its really pretty cool, the only problem is disc are scratched, but they should play fine.

shacmasta
11-15-08, 01:37 PM
bumping my own post.

Anybody? Id like this answered asap cause I want this set , big time.

This set will most likely be released in Blu-Ray, I doubt in the same way this one was released, with the book and all, but most likely down the line we'll get it on blu-ray.

MikeAK
11-15-08, 01:47 PM
I seriously doubt the whole series will make it to blu-ray, so I went ahead and bought the thing as well, its really pretty cool, the only problem is disc are scratched, but they should play fine.

If the entire series is released on Blu it will be a while yet, from everything I keep reading it seems as though TV on BD isn't selling very well so a set of this scope would probably be way to expensive for what it would pull in right now. I'd say we're at least a year away from a BD release.

DJariya
11-15-08, 01:54 PM
This set has a $399 MSRP, I think the Blu Ray could be as high as $699.

OldBoy
11-15-08, 02:33 PM

all discs or just 1 or 2?

MikeAK
11-15-08, 02:59 PM
This set has a $399 MSRP, I think the Blu Ray could be as high as $699.

I love HD as much as the next guy but if they tried to pull that kind of robbery then I'd happily buy the SD version.

Bluelitespecial
11-15-08, 07:01 PM
all discs or just 1 or 2?

I am pulling out random discs from the set, and finding them scratched, but they have all played fine so far on my playstation 3 and sony dvd player. I haven't looked at all of them yet, so I don't know how many discs are scratched.

mzupeman2
11-15-08, 07:32 PM
That's the problem with this kind of 'book page' packaging. Ah well.

MikeAK
11-15-08, 09:50 PM
That's the problem with this kind of 'book page' packaging. Ah well.

I agree with you here, I hate any sort of book page set. When will people learn that even paper can be like a razor.

OldBoy
11-16-08, 01:32 AM
I am pulling out random discs from the set, and finding them scratched, but they have all played fine so far on my playstation 3 and sony dvd player. I haven't looked at all of them yet, so I don't know how many discs are scratched.

is that from the production or in all the transit? was yous shipped or bought from retailer? i can't see how they can get scratched if they are not in constant motion.

Dean Kousoulas
11-16-08, 01:34 AM
Mine by purchased at Best Buy and not one of my discs were scratched (yes, I checked each one)

Josh-da-man
11-16-08, 05:08 AM
I've seen a ton of these fuckers. Best Buy had them piled up all over the store; there was a big display just in front of the cash registers, and then were sets scattered all over the store in odd places. I was tempted to gather them up and build a nice-sized fort in the middle of the store.

Sam's also had quite a few as well.

Sort of surprising for such a high ticket item; considering the poor state the economy is in, I don't expect they'll sell many of these.

Maybe there will be some good deals on these to be had next year, when HBO tries to clear out all of the overstock.

Trevor
11-16-08, 08:11 AM
I'm also really torn on this. I own all but two sets, so it would only cost me $80 or less to pick those up. Or spend $192 and sell my 5 sets, or have great gifts to give.

Leaning towards buying it at DD, but then I see that high price, all the stock lying around the stores, the knowledge that this will likely be less within a year or so, and hesitate.

Perhaps I'll rent the seasons I need, watch everything, sell/gift my collection, and wait for a better sale. I'm convinced that we will see this for $150 or so within a year.

MikeAK
11-16-08, 08:45 AM
You could also check pawn shops as they are a great place to find TV series. Me and the Wife found seasons 1-3 of Rescue Me at a local shop for $10 each and they looked like they had just come off the store shelves. Either way, It's only a matter of time before the single sets start falling in price as well. I think Wal-Mart had them on sale last new years for $20 each so also keep that in mind.

Fromundacheese
11-16-08, 09:51 AM
I'm also really torn on this. I own all but two sets, so it would only cost me $80 or less to pick those up. Or spend $192 and sell my 5 sets, or have great gifts to give.

Leaning towards buying it at DD, but then I see that high price, all the stock lying around the stores, the knowledge that this will likely be less within a year or so, and hesitate.

Perhaps I'll rent the seasons I need, watch everything, sell/gift my collection, and wait for a better sale. I'm convinced that we will see this for $150 or so within a year.

thank you man, that is just what I needed to hear. I can even see it $99 or $129. I am gonna hold tight a bit.

MikeAK
11-16-08, 10:03 AM
Not trying to be the negative one here, but you'll be waiting a very long time if your hoping for this set to hit $129 or below. Even online I'd be surprised to see this set fall any lower then $150 and even that is a long shot and won't be happening any time in the next year or so.

Trevor
11-16-08, 10:33 AM
Not trying to be the negative one here, but you'll be waiting a very long time if your hoping for this set to hit $129 or below. Even online I'd be surprised to see this set fall any lower then $150 and even that is a long shot and won't be happening any time in the next year or so.

You may be right, but I doubt it. You'd be surprised at how cheap things can get. We've already seen each Soprano season at $20, so that's $140 right there.

We've seen the complete Seinfeld set for $87, compete Cosby at $62. All kinds of 50-67% sales at Amazon, B1G1 frees at DD and Amazon, etc.

I am quite positive that it will be $150 or less within a year.

OldBoy
11-16-08, 10:57 AM

i agree, especially since its HBO.

MikeAK
11-16-08, 11:36 AM
I am quite positive that it will be $150 or less within a year.

Hey, man..I truly wish that would happen but like scott mentioned, this is HBO and the Sopranos is their "jewel". I guess in the end it's not worth debating because like you said there are always 50%-60% sales. I just don't see this particular set falling so fast in the 1st year.

DJariya
11-16-08, 11:41 AM
Even at $193 at the DD sale, that's only $32 a season (counting season 6 as a whole)

That's a pretty damn good deal if you ask me considering the B&M's are selling it for around $250 and the MSRP is $399. I think it's probably intimidating for some here to shell out almost $200 for TV on DVD whether it's HBO or Not.

OldBoy
11-16-08, 11:55 AM
Hey, man..I truly wish that would happen but like scott mentioned, this is HBO and the Sopranos is their "jewel". I guess in the end it's not worth debating because like you said there are always 50%-60% sales. I just don't see this particular set falling so fast in the 1st year.

also, keep in mind and this is for the anal in most of us, the longer you wait (1-2yrs.) the more likely it will be to get a set, especially with non-scratched discs, in less than perfect shape. i know even with single disc keepcases, i find the longer it has been on the shelf the harder it is just to get the damn security sticker versus newer releases. but again, that is just for the super anal :wave:

slop101
12-10-08, 06:27 PM
YMMV, but my local Target had this today for $199. I would've picked it up too, if it wasn't for the security tag around it that has wires which dent all the corners of the box.

MTRodaba2468
12-11-08, 03:43 PM
Also YMMV, but the FYE I work at has this on sale for $199.99.

If you're a BSP member, that makes it $179.99.

slop101
12-11-08, 05:35 PM
amazon has/had it for $199 also - and with no tax & free shipping, that's a pretty good deal.

mike2
12-14-08, 08:05 PM
The set sure does look cheap. I'm not a fan of the disks being in cardboard. I'll wait for the blu-ray.

Neil M.
12-15-08, 08:08 PM
Costco has this for $140 in-store and online. Great deal if you have a membership.