Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Question about Car Title

girlnextdoor
06-21-08, 07:54 PM
Long Story:

2 years ago, my in-laws were trying to help an employee (employee1) out so the bought her a car. She had no drivers license or valid ID card at the time. Another girl who worked for them (employee2) agreed to put the car in her name until employee1 got her buisness straight at DMV. 3 weeks later employee1 was caught steeling from the business and arrested. My in-laws brought the car to my house to park it so she could not get it back. Then we learn that employee1 has a record of theft and ID fraud and had no intention of going to DMV to get this straight. My in-laws never got any money back. No paperwork was in the car. No one involved knows where the paperwork was or is now. We think that the car is employee2's name, but no licence plate was ever issued.

How can we find out who's name the car is in to order a duplicate title to sell the car now?

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
06-21-08, 09:18 PM
go talk to the DMV in your state...they can tell you who the legal owner is. The owner can also ask for a duplicate title.

girlnextdoor
06-21-08, 11:10 PM
Do I use the VIN number? Aren't they going to ask why I have a car in my driveway that is not mine?

drmoze
06-22-08, 09:25 AM
:wtf:

TomOpus
06-22-08, 10:29 AM
Where the car is physically parked really has no relevance. You're trying to figure out who the legal owner is right now.

How can no one know about paperwork? That's very odd.

Did your in-laws sign the title over to employee2? Did employee2 turn the paperwork into DMV? Whomever last signed the title should be the one contacting DMV to find out what's going on.

matta
06-22-08, 10:37 AM
Couldn't you just Carfax the VIN to find out the owner? Seems like that's the fastest way to get the info.

DVD Polizei
06-22-08, 10:49 AM
Disclaimer: The following might offend the OP

Sounds like your in-laws are somewhat goofy in the brain. They can't find the paperwork? It's been two years? I mean really, you need to slap your in-laws and do the hokey-pokey on their heads.

And why the fuck do you buy someone a car when they have no valid driver's license and valid ID card?

And what do you mean no license plate was issued?

Also, this car has been parked at your in-laws' house for two years? No one has driven it? The in-laws just suddenly woke up from their retarded two-year nap and called you up to investigate this for them?

Are your in-laws breathing on their own or do they use Speak-N-Spell devices to communicate with you.

I mean seriously, with the exception of sleeping on train tracks on a nice sunny day, this story involves some really stupid people.

matta
06-22-08, 11:24 AM

Yeah, so I don't think that was necessary. Buying a car for someone else is obviously not a good idea. And buying a car for someone else in a third person's name is an even worse idea. But there may be some other information that you don't know that might make it reasonable.

bwvanh114
06-22-08, 12:20 PM
(calling it like it looks)I'm curious about this also. I wonder what the story is.

drmoze
06-22-08, 12:26 PM

Sounds like your in-laws are somewhat goofy in the brain. They can't find the paperwork? It's been two years? I mean really, you need to slap your in-laws and do the hokey-pokey on their heads.

And why the fuck do you buy someone a car when they have no valid driver's license and valid ID card?

And what do you mean no license plate was issued?

Also, this car has been parked at your in-laws' house for two years? No one has driven it? The in-laws just suddenly woke up from their retarded two-year nap and called you up to investigate this for them?

Are your in-laws breathing on their own or do they use Speak-N-Spell devices to communicate with you.

I mean seriously, with the exception of sleeping on train tracks on a nice sunny day, this story involves some really stupid people.

:up: Awesome.

girlnextdoor
06-22-08, 01:03 PM
They are nice people who work the resturant they own 7 days a week. Granted, 2 years is quite a long time to do nothihg, but that is the situation.

As far as we know, the paperwork was given to employee2 who never filed at DMV waiting on employee1 to get her shit straight. Now neither one of them work there anymore.

They did not know that employee1 did not have a drivers license at the time. She just told them that it could not be found at the time, after her arrest, they learned that it had been revolked.

Sorry to offend people with my story and for those that think that buying a car for someone is a fucked up idea, I hope you never need help for any reason in your lifetime. I hope you never need anyone to help you financially or maybe care for you while you are sick or injured. If you don't think being nice and helping others is a good idea, I hope you never need help.

DVD Polizei
06-22-08, 01:42 PM
Oh please. I know I asked for it, but if you fail to realize you in-laws made a terribly bad decision, then well, curse me with peace branches and tie my hands and limbs with hemp.

Actually, I have helped people in my life. Not saying you shouldn't. Where did I say helping people was bad?

And people have helped me as well.

Of course, I didn't get arrested only 3 months later for stealing properry from the very same owners who helped me out financially.

Call me crazy. Call me uncaring.

Once again, buying a car for someone isn't a fucked up idea. It's a great and highly philanthropic idea. But you follow through when you do it, so the situation is clean, and any problems which arise, are only on the person who accepted the gift.

Oh, and maybe make sure the person actually deserves it before you just fall for a sad sob story. :lol: (which I think this is what happened, no? If not, let me know about the history of Employee #1 and why she got fired only 3 months after getting a fucking car, which should have helped her situation altogether.)

Oh, and your in-laws, knowing this gal didn't have VALID ID and a DRIVER'S LICENSE, hired her anyway. Sounds like they may have broken some laws themselves. No? Correct me then. Did your in-laws receive a social security card from this "Employee1"? Or did they just take her word she had one and never completed the proper paperwork for hiring employees in the US.

Since you opened this can of worms, I'm now more curious than ever.

Your in-laws buy a car for a gal who doesn't have proper documentation, don't even know if she's wanted by the police--not having proper ID is part of the signs of a criminal on the run by the way--and then get another employee into this mess by putting this second employee into the situation.

Highly unethical. Your in-laws should've put the car in THEIR NAME, to make sure the gal "got straight". But no, they have another employee or accept another employee's idea of putting the car in their name. Gee, I wonder why they didn't put the car in their own names. I'd be really curious to find out if your in-laws asked another employee to put the car in their name, versus another employee volunteering to do it. Since you never mentioned "volunteer", I'm assuming the former.

Bad decisions all around.

Long Story:

2 years ago, my in-laws were trying to help an employee (employee1) out so the bought her a car. She had no drivers license or valid ID card at the time. Another girl who worked for them (employee2) agreed to put the car in her name until employee1 got her buisness straight at DMV. 3 weeks later employee1 was caught steeling from the business and arrested. My in-laws brought the car to my house to park it so she could not get it back. Then we learn that employee1 has a record of theft and ID fraud and had no intention of going to DMV to get this straight. My in-laws never got any money back. No paperwork was in the car. No one involved knows where the paperwork was or is now. We think that the car is employee2's name, but no licence plate was ever issued.

How can we find out who's name the car is in to order a duplicate title to sell the car now?

I think this is the very short of the story. There's much more. Isn't there.

TomOpus
06-22-08, 02:00 PM
Even if there is more to the story, you don't need to explain. Since employee2 never filed with DMV, sounds like your in-laws still own the car. Tell them to contact DMV about getting a replacement title. Once that's done, and they have title in hand, they can decide what to do next with the car.

tbone
06-22-08, 02:03 PM
I agree with DVD Polizei. Dumbshit move and you can buy someone a car and still be on title.

girlnextdoor
06-22-08, 02:48 PM
Did I ask anyone's opinion of my in-laws - no, I asked it there is a way to find out if we can find out who the owner of a car is without having the title.

DVD Polizei
06-22-08, 03:07 PM
Is the car still parked at your house?

bwvanh114
06-22-08, 03:07 PM
Did I ask anyone's opinion of my in-laws - no, I asked it there is a way to find out if we can find out who the owner of a car is without having the title.You haven't been here long have you?

girlnextdoor
06-22-08, 03:33 PM
Is the car still parked at your house?
Yes the car is parked at my house. I have an covered RV park away from my main dirveway.

Nick Danger
06-22-08, 04:02 PM
Here is where to start looking.
https://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1.nsf?OpenDatabase&Start=1&Count=1000&Expand=4

This may be what you want.
https://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1.nsf/58c968bd569b099986256cdc000806eb/2381fbcbc6b7953586257287006f91d4?OpenDocument

matta
06-22-08, 07:15 PM
Again, shouldn't a Carfax report show you the ownership history?

Run a Carfax report for a few bucks on the VIN, find out the last owner, then have that person request a new title and, if it's not your parents, have that person sign it over to your parents.

If you can't track down the other person, call the DMV and ask what to do. As long as the car's not stolen, what's the worst thing that can happen? They'll check with the police to see that the VIN isn't reported stolen.