Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : An American Werewolf in London to hit Blu-Ray!!

Matthew Ackerly
06-21-08, 07:39 AM
Later this year, no date yet...

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/12673

"This evening John Landis broke the news to Bloody-Disgusting that Universal Home Entertainment is planning to release his classic werewolf movie An American Werewolf in London on Blu-ray later this year! To top it off, he revealed that the Blu-ray release will also come with the brand new feature documentary BEWARE THE MOON: REMEMBERING AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON as an extra feature!! Directed by Paul Davis, twenty five years on, the original cast and crew look back on the John Landis classic in an hour and half documentary. More details forthcoming. MOON made its world premiere tonight at the HorrorHound Weekend in Pittsburgh."

Drexl
06-21-08, 08:24 AM
Well, this was on HD DVD, so this isn't really huge news. The new documentary sounds pretty cool for the fans though.

BTW, the HD DVD did not get great reviews. Don't expect a revelation, but it should be a decent upgrade nonetheless.

Mr. Cinema
06-21-08, 09:24 AM
Sweet. I'm glad they're adding something new to the BD.

Hopefully this is one of the titles Universal will remaster.

JayDerek
06-21-08, 09:47 AM
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope this new documentary will feature that cut scene w/ the hobos

Gizmo
06-21-08, 10:10 AM
I wasn't very impressed with the film when I first saw it so its not something I plan on double-dipping on for a documentary.

steelpotato
06-21-08, 11:10 AM
Awesome film.

Willh51
06-21-08, 11:27 AM
A friend gave me the CE a few years back and it's a great film.

Rainet
06-21-08, 04:18 PM
Clink on the link. 2008 is now crossed out. It won't be coming out until sometime 2009 now. Damn. Oh well. At least i know it's coming.

ThePhantomGoat
06-21-08, 04:43 PM
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope this new documentary will feature that cut scene w/ the hobos

The doc is apparently really really awsome. and Paul Davis is a good guy and one hell of an AWIL fan, so I can't wait to support this release.

candyrocket786
06-21-08, 07:07 PM
Although I just picked up the HD version pretty cheap, I really want to see that new Doc.

Paul_SD
06-22-08, 12:27 AM
I love the HD DVD release. It's a favorite film, and having the sd version on the flip side let's you readily see the improvment that HD brought. The bad reviews were typical at the time. For this fan it was a wonderful improvment. Still one of my favorite HDMs because it's one of my favorite films.

BuckNaked2k
06-22-08, 10:48 AM
I love the HD DVD release. It's a favorite film, and having the SD version on the flip side let's you readily see the improvement that HD brought.That it is a combo disc, makes this one a keeper on HD DVD for me. I love the flexibility of combos, and have yet to experience a problem with one.

Daytripper
06-22-08, 12:29 PM
Well, this was on HD DVD, so this isn't really huge news. The new documentary sounds pretty cool for the fans though.

BTW, the HD DVD did not get great reviews. Don't expect a revelation, but it should be a decent upgrade nonetheless.

Are you talking not so great picture quality reviews? I can see that. I'm sorry, but I get a hard time getting excited over older movies on BD. I've rented so many from Netflix and haven't been impressed. "The Fly" was the latest.

Rainet
06-22-08, 05:13 PM
I have this movie on dvd and i loved the documentary at it. Will the new blu-ray have that also or it will only be the new documentary?

Gizmo
06-22-08, 05:16 PM
I have this movie on dvd and i loved the documentary at it. Will the new blu-ray have that also or it will only be the new documentary?

The Blu-ray version, as noted above, will include the all-new documentary.

tylergfoster
06-23-08, 01:39 AM
The Blu-ray version, as noted above, will include the all-new documentary.I imagine there's enough room for both the stuff on the old DVD AND the new documentary.

Gizmo
01-21-09, 04:44 PM
This should be hitting Blu-ray in April if Uni sticks to the date I saw.

islandclaws
01-21-09, 05:40 PM
I hope so. I've been waiting to watch Paul's doc for a while now. I know he put A LOT of work into it, plus he's just a super cool guy. I love this flick so, naturally, I'll grab the BD up on day one.

HumanMedia
01-21-09, 06:13 PM
releaselists.com have it down for April 14, 2009

Seems too close tho.

Gizmo
01-21-09, 06:36 PM
releaselists.com have it down for April 14, 2009

Seems too close tho.

Same date I heard.

Mr. Cinema
01-21-09, 06:49 PM
I hope that date sticks. However, I'm wondering if it was originally planned to come out with the remake of The Wolf Man, since both properties are from Universal. The Wolf Man was supposed to be released in theaters in April, but has been pushed to November.

That would have been a good tie-in.

Giles
01-21-09, 09:02 PM

I'd love to see that scene, apparently when it was in the first preview cuts of the film, this scene made the test audience jump and freak out.

Steve Phillips
01-23-09, 06:43 PM
The HD DVD version is in the bargain bins in the supermarket for $3.99. I'll pick up a Blu-ray for the new doc and hopefully other new extras.

islandclaws
01-23-09, 09:36 PM
Uni is definitely releasing this alongside the new Wolfman flick, so I can tell you for sure it won't be coming out until Nov.

NoirFan
06-29-09, 07:05 PM
From blu-ray.com (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3000): Universal Studios 'An American Werewolf in London' is being released on Blu-ray this summer. This is what John Landis told horror film site Bloody-Disgusting when they contacted Landis for his reaction on the upcoming remake of the famous 1980s horror movie. In Landis's own words, the negative has been digitally cleaned up and it looks "amazing."

Landis said: "My film comes out on Blu-ray this summer and looks amazing. I was afraid the digital cleaning of the negative would result in too clear a picture and hurt Rick Baker's make-up, when in fact the incredibly crisp detail actually makes Rick stuff look even better!"

B-D also asked Landis if there were any updates on a possible Blu-ray release of "Thriller" and he tells is that, "Despite Michael's tragic death, the Thriller lawsuit continues." Back in January, Landis had sued Michael Jackson, asking for unpaid profits for the "Thriller" video and making-of documentary.

riotinmyskull
06-29-09, 07:31 PM
:thumbsup:

islandclaws
06-29-09, 07:41 PM
Glad to hear Landis decided to clean this up. I got some inside word from the producers on the disc that Landis was so set on doing almost nothing to the print that it looked like shit. Still might, for that matter. I'm just glad that Paul's doc is included.

tylergfoster
06-29-09, 07:51 PM
Glad to hear Landis decided to clean this up. I got some inside word from the producers on the disc that Landis was so set on doing almost nothing to the print that it looked like shit. Still might, for that matter. I'm just glad that Paul's doc is included.I remember when they cleaned up Animal House he told them to dirty it back up again somewhat because he thought the essence was being lost.

Oh well, it sounds like Landis caved on this one, and the results were pleasing, and even if he was refusing to give them an overhaul for HD, it's better than ruining the movies ala William Friedkin.

Gizmo
07-13-09, 10:05 AM
Universal Studios Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced that they will bring 'An American Werewolf in London: Full Moon Edition' to Blu-ray on September 15th, day-and-date with the DVD re-release. This John Landis film will be released on a BD-50 featuring 1080p VC-1 video accompanied by a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Special features for this release include:

* I Walked With A Werewolf
* Beware The Moon
* Making An American Werewolf in London, An Original Featurette
* An Interview With John Landis
* Make-up Artist Rick Baker On An American Werewolf in London
* Casting of the Hand
* Outtakes
* Storyboards
* Photograph Montage
* Feature Commentary with Cast Members David Naughton & Griffin Dunne
* BD Live Basic Download Center

Gizmo
07-13-09, 10:05 AM
Wonder if they will be doing a fresh encode on it? Also, Van Helsing the same day.

Mr. Cinema
07-13-09, 10:08 AM
It'd be nice if it came with a Wolf Man ticket.

Gizmo
07-13-09, 10:16 AM
It'd be nice if it came with a Wolf Man ticket.

It would be nice if Universal did that but I see that happening more with their DVD films than Blu-ray. Went to Best Buy yesterday and saw a ton of Univesal DVDs had a free ticket to see Bruno or two other Universal films. Why not package the Blu-rays like that? Forgetting Sarah Marshall came out the same day but give a free ticket with the $10 DVD vs the $25-$30 Blu-ray? Same goes for other studios as well who seem to exclude Blu-ray from the free ticket stuff.

Adam Tyner
07-13-09, 11:01 AM
Wonder if they will be doing a fresh encode on it?The word is that it's a new transfer altogether.

Giles
07-13-09, 11:48 AM
Universal Studios Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced that they will bring 'An American Werewolf in London: Full Moon Edition' to Blu-ray on September 15th, day-and-date with the DVD re-release. This John Landis film will be released on a BD-50 featuring 1080p VC-1 video accompanied by a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Special features for this release include:

* I Walked With A Werewolf
* Beware The Moon
* Making An American Werewolf in London, An Original Featurette
* An Interview With John Landis
* Make-up Artist Rick Baker On An American Werewolf in London
* Casting of the Hand
* Outtakes
* Storyboards
* Photograph Montage
* Feature Commentary with Cast Members David Naughton & Griffin Dunne
* BD Live Basic Download Center

what? oh I hope the hobo deleted death scene is in the 'Making of' or an easter egg.

JayDerek
07-13-09, 01:21 PM
what? oh I hope the hobo deleted death scene is in the 'Making of' or an easter egg.

same here!

Was that scene ever inserted into the film shown initially on HBO or an early video release?? I could've sworn I remember seeing a longer version of the hobo death scene, but I very well could just be misremembering it.

Giles
07-13-09, 02:00 PM
the scene was definately in an early preview screening according to Fangoria magazine - because the audience was so freaked out by the scene, [think the floating 'head' scene in JAWS] - according to Landis, it stopped the movie completely.

JayDerek
07-14-09, 08:32 AM
the scene was definately in an early preview screening according to Fangoria magazine - because the audience was so freaked out by the scene, [think the floating 'head' scene in JAWS] - according to Landis, it stopped the movie completely.

I did some digging on the website(s) of the creator of the documentary (Paul Davis) and he said the 'hobo scene' footage doesn't exist anymore. :( It was discarded a long time ago. Damn.

Apparently Landis does describe the scene in greater detail, so we'll get more of an idea what had happened.

Geofferson
07-14-09, 09:14 AM
Speaking of deleted scenes -- I always had a hunch that there was a deleted scene of the couple's death outside the apartment complex. I wrote a letter to Landis many moons ago (pun intended ;)) inquiring about this and I believe he replied that the scene was cut (will have to dig up the note as I have not read it in years).

I can't say I am holding out hope for additional 'lost' footage to appear on this disc. I read that they scoured the Universal archives for all potential footage and included it with the last disc.

JayDerek
07-15-09, 08:22 AM
^ oh man - talk of more deleted scenes? I wish these were available to see.

Fans of this movie and Edgar Wright should check out this interview...shows he's a big fan of AWiL

http://edgarwrighthere.com/2009/07/my-interview-for-beware-the-moon-remembering-an-american-werewolf-in-london/

Gizmo
07-15-09, 09:42 AM
http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg472/Blu-news2/025195053648_BLURAY_WS_3D_CLR.jpg
From Blu-News.com

Giles
07-15-09, 09:52 AM
nice! :)

riotinmyskull
07-15-09, 10:49 AM
could've been worse.

AmityBoatTours
07-15-09, 10:08 PM
i love the new artwork for the bluray release very nice.

islandclaws
07-16-09, 10:52 AM
Blu cover > HD cover

Looks great to me.

NoirFan
09-06-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Beaver (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews46/an_american_werewolf_in_london_blu-ray.htm)

riotinmyskull
09-08-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Beaver (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews46/an_american_werewolf_in_london_blu-ray.htm)

:thumbsup:

islandclaws
09-08-09, 11:40 AM
Seriously, those caps from DVD Beaver look awesome! I'm even more excited for this now.

Also, for those of you in LA next week, on Sept. 14th, the New Bev is hosting a double-feature of AWIL with Beware the Moon. Paul Davis will be there to introduce it. Should be awesome.

Giles
09-08-09, 12:17 PM
I never noticed the movie posters in the Tube til seeing the Beaver screen cap

Geofferson
09-08-09, 04:10 PM
I never noticed the movie posters in the Tube til seeing the Beaver screen cap
I must admit I never saw the Airplane! poster (though I do remember seeing SYNW).

sparks
09-08-09, 07:13 PM
Why can't anyone show some side by side comparisons with the HDDVD?

I'm not triple dipping if it looks the same, I'll keep my $5 HDDVD.

dsa_shea
09-08-09, 07:28 PM
I've got this on order from Amazon and I'm looking forward to it.

islandclaws
09-08-09, 08:11 PM
Why can't anyone show some side by side comparisons with the HDDVD?

I'm not triple dipping if it looks the same, I'll keep my $5 HDDVD.

It's a new transfer; it won't look the same.

Geofferson
09-09-09, 08:43 AM
Someone over at AVS claims the transfer looks the same as the HDDVD one.

Eric F
09-09-09, 04:09 PM
But it comes with a $5 Hollyween Candy coupon!!! Sweet!!! (literally)

RD1973
09-15-09, 10:20 PM
But it comes with a $5 Hollyween Candy coupon!!! Sweet!!! (literally)

Did anyone pick up a copy of AWIL today? I read somewhere that it was supposed to have a slip cover. I went to a few stores but saw no sign of a slip cover. Can anyone confirm that it comes with one?

Also, the copies I found felt like DVD eco-cases. This will be my first Blu-Ray purchase, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Do they make eco-cases for Blu-Rays?

Adam Tyner
09-15-09, 10:27 PM
Can anyone confirm that it comes with one?My copy didn't.

Do they make eco-cases for Blu-Rays?They do, but this isn't one of them. I want to say that it's just Fox and MGM doing that on Blu-ray, but I might be misremembering.

Here's a review I wrote: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/38554/american-werewolf-in-london-full-moon-edition-an/