Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Quick questions re: current 20% off deals.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in purchasing the "Friends: Complete Series" box set. The full retail price is $299, but most online stores that offer reasonable prices like Amazon or DeepDiscount sell it for around $210.

With the current 20% deal at DeepDiscount, I could order the set for around $170.

I am in absolutely no hurry to purchase this, because the episodes are still shown on an almost nightly basis in syndication. I would like to own it eventually, though.

So, my question is this: what do you think is the BEST price I'd possibly be able to get on this set if I waited? Should I get it at the $170 price at DeepDiscount, or do you think I could do even better if I waited.

Even if I were to find a way to get 50% off full retail, that would still be $150, so I'm inclined to think the $170 is a pretty good deal.

How long would it typically take for the full retail price of $299 to be reduced? I've never purchased a "complete series" of a television show before, so I'm not familiar with the typical pricing structure.

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-18-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you could do better if you wait until the holidays. I saw it for less than $170 at Costco last Christmas.
Old 06-18-08, 12:28 PM

Have you even looked at Amazon or Half.com? Amazon has new and sealed sets starting at $102.99 + shipping. Half.com also has it for much less than $170.
Old 06-18-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has been cheaper, I believe.

I have a listing in one of my spreadsheets where I was tracking some prices that shows it was $160 in the previous (or 2 ago) DD 20%-off sale, making it $128. And Columbia House had it for a while at $135, so you could sign up, get 6 DVDs for about $3, fulfill your account with the single purchase of Friends, and then cancel your account. Using a B1G1 w/ FS code, you'd be looking at spending $146 for the complete set plus 7 other DVDs of your choice.

With prices on a set like that, time is on your side.
Old 06-18-08, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by bookcase3
I think you could do better if you wait until the holidays. I saw it for less than $170 at Costco last Christmas.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by moklerman
Have you even looked at Amazon or Half.com? Amazon has new and sealed sets starting at $102.99 + shipping. Half.com also has it for much less than $170.
Yes, I have. Most of the sellers selling these sets for close to $100 state in the description that it does not include the booklet. A "sealed" set that does not include the booklet is a dead giveaway that it's not the official US release.

I should have specified this in my original post, but I'm only going to buy from a reputable seller.

Originally Posted by Cheato
It has been cheaper, I believe.

I have a listing in one of my spreadsheets where I was tracking some prices that shows it was $160 in the previous (or 2 ago) DD 20%-off sale, making it $128. And Columbia House had it for a while at $135, so you could sign up, get 6 DVDs for about $3, fulfill your account with the single purchase of Friends, and then cancel your account. Using a B1G1 w/ FS code, you'd be looking at spending $146 for the complete set plus 7 other DVDs of your choice.

With prices on a set like that, time is on your side.
Thanks. I'll take a look at Columbia House and see what their current prices are, to see if I could benefit from a deal like that.
Old 06-19-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, but the current price is $180, and shipping is $8. But, if you buy it at the right time, you can use a 15%-off code (if they become available again on the new site). So, enroll with the codes found in the Clubs forum on this site (not the standard enrollment), get 6 DVDs for $3, then wait for a 15%-off code to come along, and order the set for $161, meaning you get the set plus 6 DVDs for $164, and then quit the club.

Like I said before, time is on your side on this one, IMO. So, wait for the price to come down. Like you said, you can still get your Friends fix in syndication, for now.