DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : AP: Tiger Woods will miss the rest of the season

Michael T Hudson
06-18-08, 10:48 AM
AP: Tiger Woods will miss the rest of the season and needs left knee surgery, a person with knowledge of the decision said today.

Breaking news on CNN.

TGM
06-18-08, 11:09 AM
whaaaaaaaaa?

acubfaninmd
06-18-08, 11:12 AM
link to espn article about this

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3450453

Not good for the PGA to lose the #1 golfer for the year. Man Boobs will be new poster boy for PGA for rest of year.

coli
06-18-08, 11:22 AM
Wow, I recently read that it was Tigers third surgery on that knee, so it is definitely going to be a nagging injury he will have to play through for the rest of his career. He is only 4 away from Jack, so he does have plenty of time to break the record, but you definitely have to look that he may not have the longevity of other golfers, as with Fred Couples who has played through back problems most of his career, and doesn't play as much he would like.

Gotta give Tiger some respect for winning the US Open on one leg, the guy is a competitor.

twikoff
06-18-08, 11:24 AM
opens the door for someone else to actually have a shot at the fedex cup though

Patman
06-18-08, 12:03 PM
Secretly, most pro golfers are doing a mini-celebration for the opportunity to put more food on their own tables this golf season...

coli
06-18-08, 12:08 PM
This is like when Jordan retired in 1993, who will be the 'Olajuwan' of Golf and steal a couple of majors while Tiger is out?

bauermj
06-18-08, 01:22 PM
son of a bitch. We need him for Ryder Cup

devilshalo
06-18-08, 01:27 PM
son of a bitch. We need him for Ryder Cup
That didn't help last time as Europe thrashed the US as badly as the Celtics did the Lakers.

bauermj
06-18-08, 01:44 PM
That didn't help last time as Europe thrashed the US as badly as the Celtics did the Lakers.

Well, losing the best player in golf certainly isn't going to HELP in 08.

And in 2006, Woods/Furyk went 2-2 (mainly due to Furyk's poor play), and Tiger was 1 of the 3 Americans that won singles matches. He's been the best American player during the last few Ryder Cups.

HistoryProf
06-18-08, 02:34 PM
so he's been playing with a torn ACL and still:

Woods played only seven events worldwide this year and won five of them.

unfuckingbelievable. :lol:

Jeremy517
06-18-08, 02:42 PM
The funny thing is that he'll probably still be ranked #1 going into next season.

Probably. For the World Golf Rankings, there is more of a gap between Tiger and #2 (Phil) than there is between #2 and the last-ranked guy (#1415 Mehdi Ait manna).

Groucho
06-18-08, 02:43 PM
How can a pro get an injury playing golf? "Wow, that 2 foot walk from the hole to the cart really did a number on my knees".

bauermj
06-18-08, 04:50 PM
How can a pro get an injury playing golf? "Wow, that 2 foot walk from the hole to the cart really did a number on my knees".

You must obviously be a huge student of professional golfing

El Scorcho
06-18-08, 05:32 PM
Poor guy has to spend the year at home fucking that ugly wife of his

Red Dog
06-18-08, 05:38 PM
Poor guy has to spend the year at home fucking that ugly wife of his

I'll have to look for odds of a 2nd child born in the first half of 2009.

TomOpus
06-18-08, 07:30 PM
You must obviously be a huge student of professional golfingand Groucho hooks another one.

Autotelik
06-18-08, 11:10 PM
The more surgeries he has on that knee, the more difficult it will be for him to stay dominant. I know he's a great competitor and all, but this appears to be one big injury. It could very well put a big ? to whether he can get break Nicklaus's majors record. I hope he can because he's fun to watch.

Quake1028
06-18-08, 11:30 PM
He will break Nicklaus' record. He will be 33 starting next year. If you give him his prime until 40, which is reasonable, he has 7 more years, or 28 more majors to win 5. I like his odds to do so, and that's only counting until he's 40.

whoopdido
06-19-08, 09:06 AM

How can a baseball player get injured? Wow, spending 3 hours standing in right field without ever having to move when no ball is hit to me and walking back and forth from the dugout after striking out 4 times really did a number on my knee. Oh wait I forgot he still has to jog back and forth from right field 8 times too. What's that a grand total of about 2500 feet?

Golfers put tremendous amounts of stress on their bodies--the golf swing is not a natural move for the human body. Then if they hurt themselves they can't just trot over to the bench and sit out for 10 minutes. They have to constantly be moving or else withdraw. They can't just take a break. Tiger had a torn acl and stress fractures in his leg and walked over 6 miles every day on that course and that doesn't even include the walking around he did before his round.

whoopdido
06-19-08, 04:07 PM
and another one...

I got a big hook in my mouth huh? Oh well.

Groucho
06-19-08, 04:15 PM
and Groucho hooks another one.Actually, I slice. :(

eXcentris
06-19-08, 04:15 PM
Golfers put tremendous amounts of stress on their bodies--the golf swing is not a natural move for the human body. Then if they hurt themselves they can't just trot over to the bench and sit out for 10 minutes. They have to constantly be moving or else withdraw. They can't just take a break. Tiger had a torn acl and stress fractures in his leg and walked over 6 miles every day on that course and that doesn't even include the walking around he did before his round.

I understand that, but it's not uncommon for professional athletes to suck it up and play hurt. Personnally I'm tired about all this talk about Tiger's injuries and how his legend just grew and bla bla bla... To me the more they talk about this, the more it makes golfers sound like wusses. :)

Michael T Hudson
06-19-08, 06:04 PM

Too soon. :lol:

RayChuang
06-19-08, 06:17 PM
By the way, I wouldn't be surprised that Tiger Woods will not play in another tournament until January 2010.

The resaon is simple: he needs to completely revamp his swing to prevent the type of stress that could result in another left knee injury. As such, by the time Tiger is fully healed (probably June 2009), he'll have to start completely revamping his swing so it doesn't violently stop his body motion at the end of the swing.

It would be quite a triumphant return when Tiger Woods shows up at the 2010 Mercedes Championship at the Kapalua Resort on Maui, Hawaii.

whoopdido
06-19-08, 08:10 PM
By the way, I wouldn't be surprised that Tiger Woods will not play in another tournament until January 2010.

The resaon is simple: he needs to completely revamp his swing to prevent the type of stress that could result in another left knee injury. As such, by the time Tiger is fully healed (probably June 2009), he'll have to start completely revamping his swing so it doesn't violently stop his body motion at the end of the swing.

It would be quite a triumphant return when Tiger Woods shows up at the 2010 Mercedes Championship at the Kapalua Resort on Maui, Hawaii.

If your scenario actually comes to pass then he definitely wouldn't be at the Mercedes because players are only eligible to play in the Mercedes if they won a tournament the previous year. If he doesn't play in 09 then obviously he can't win a tournament and therefore wouldn't be eligible to play in the 2010 Mercedes.

RayChuang
06-19-08, 10:44 PM
If your scenario actually comes to pass then he definitely wouldn't be at the Mercedes because players are only eligible to play in the Mercedes if they won a tournament the previous year. If he doesn't play in 09 then obviously he can't win a tournament and therefore wouldn't be eligible to play in the 2010 Mercedes.

However, given that Tiger has won the tournament in the past AND the fact as his first tournament back, he draws a massive crowd (read: massive profit for the tournament), I think the event organizers would be more than happy to provide an exemption to get Tiger into the field. :)

whoopdido
06-19-08, 11:31 PM
Well, I'm not saying they would say no to Tiger if he actually wanted to play there, but a sponsors exemption into the Mercedes has never happened before. It's a winner's only tournament. It's kind of like the Grand Slam of Golf at the end of the year which is for major winners only. If Tiger didn't win a major during the year...sorry pal but you can't play. Same goes with the Mercedes. Plus, he hasn't played there since 2005 so I seriously doubt that would be his first tournament back. There's a 99% chance his first tournament back would be the Buick Invitational at Torrey Pines.

In any event I get what you're saying though. Details aside, no matter what tournament he plays next it would be quite the scene if he won.

bauermj
06-21-08, 06:54 AM
No way he misses all 75% of 08 and all of 09. And if he did, Mercedes-Benz is winners only w/ no exemptions ever given. Its supposed to be prestigious. I'm fairly confident that would throw the golf world and the qualified participants into quite a frenzy.

devilshalo
11-24-08, 01:43 PM
Not sure where else to put this...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081124/ap_on_bi_ge/gm_tiger_woods

GM ends 9-year endorsement deal with Tiger Woods

DETROIT – General Motors Corp. said Monday it is ending its nine-year endorsement deal with golf superstar Tiger Woods as the automaker continues to cut expenses and hoard cash while trying to survive the worst sales downturn in a quarter-century.

The cash-strapped company said in a statement that it is looking to reduce costs, and that the world's No. 1 golfer also wants more personal time as he expects his second child.

Woods has endorsed GM products around the world and mainly has been seen in Buick commercials as the company tried to give the nameplate a more youthful image. He has carried the Buick brand on his golf bag since 2000, and his most recent promotion was to caddie for a contest winner for nine holes at Torrey Pines, where Woods won the U.S. Open this summer for his 14th career major.

The endorsement deal, believed to be worth at least $7 million a year, was to end in 2009. Woods' agent at IMG, Mark Steinberg, said the decision to end the relationship one year early was "absolutely mutual."

"It was a combination of things," Steinberg said. "Tiger was looking to gain some more time, and certainly it was an opportunity for GM to reduce its spending with everything going on."

GM has been making dramatic cuts in advertising as it tries to conserve cash. The nation's largest automaker spent nearly $7 billion more than it took in last quarter and has warned that, without federal help, it may reach the minimum amount of cash required to run the company by the end of the year.

Mark LaNeve, GM's vice president for North American marketing, said GM and Woods started discussing an end to the deal earlier this year, and it had nothing to do with the Detroit Three automakers' quest for $25 billion in federal loans.

But GM's statement said the decision was made as part of "the search for budget efficiencies during a difficult economy for General Motors."

Buick said last week that it would be cutting back on its deal providing courtesy cars at PGA Tour events.

GM is so concerned about costs that it cut advertising during the 2009 Super Bowl, although it still plans to sponsor the National Football League and likely air ads before and after the game. GM also has pulled out of the Oscars and Emmy Awards in 2009 — the first time in over a decade that it is not running ads right before, during or after the two events.

U.S. automakers, the single largest category of advertisers, cut their ad spending 18 percent to $1.37 billion in the second quarter compared with the same period in 2007, according to TNS Media Intelligence in New York.

Foreign automakers also are trimming their spending on advertising in U.S. markets, with a 5.4 percent cut in the second quarter, for an overall 11 percent drop in U.S. auto ad spending to $3.27 billion, the 12th quarterly dip in a row.

Woods has carried only two logos on his bag since he turned pro in August 1996. He was with Titleist through 1999 until Buick won a bidding war for its brand on a bag that gets more television time at tournaments than any other golfer.

Woods has not played since season-ending knee surgery after winning the U.S. Open, and he is not expected to return until next year, most likely in early March depending on his recovery.

Steinberg said he would "expect there to be some exposure on the bag" when Woods next plays.

"I've got a few ideas, and we're in the process of working through that," he said.

Red Dog
11-24-08, 01:50 PM
Times are tough. A few less ivory back-scratchers for Tiger.

spainlinx0
11-24-08, 02:40 PM
I didn't even know Buick still made cars.