Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony Wega Trinitron or Akai Pure Flat 27" - which one?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably a dumb question, but I figure there are a lot of you out there that know more than I do about TVs....

My girlfriend and I are consolidating apartments, and we both have flat screen 27" tube TVs: a Sony Wega Trinitron (KV-27HS420) and an Akai Pure Flat (CFT2790). We are keeping only one, so which one?

It seems like a no-brainer. The Sony Wega is a name brand; the other is "Akai? A what?" However, the Akai is basically a rebadged Samsung TXL2791F, and seems to get good marks compared to Sonys. Additionally, the Akai has been my TV for the last 5 years, and has been great.

One key difference: the Sony has HDMI inputs. Does that alone make it a slam dunk? We don't plan to subscribe to HD service, and will probably buy a large-screen LCD TV within the next year or two.

Finally, we moved into my place, so the Akai is in place. If we keep the Sony, we have to move the Akai out and the Sony in -- and these 27" tube TVs are NOT light!

All opinions welcomed!
Old 06-17-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sony.
Mine has been working like a champ for 9 years now, and shows no signs of slowing down.

It's since been replaced by a 50" screen as my primary TV. Regardless, my Wega had the best image quality of any comparably priced CRT I've seen. I can only imagine the one you describe is similar.
Old 06-20-08, 09:54 PM

I'm going to make a decision this weekend, so last call for opinions. Anyone else?

Thanks, edclem, for chiming in.
Old 06-20-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,201 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Have you tried out the TVs side by side to see which looks better to you? That may help your decision. At any rate, those Trinitrons are tanks, it will probably last you a long time. I have a pre-Wega Trinitron 27" CRT that has been going strong for nearly 7 years now and still looks and acts like it's brand new. As I've purchased new TVs, it's been shuffled around from room to room, it's now been relegated to the guest room, but I still think it has a great picture for an older tube set. And if yours has HDMI, that's certainly a plus to have a set with the latest inputs. I'd keep the Sony.
Old 06-20-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's another vote for keeping the Sony. I have a 30HS420 and love it. Check out this thread for lots of information about hacks and fixes. You won't find that for the Akai.
Old 06-22-08, 08:23 PM

Thanks all for the feedback, which convinced me that the Sony was the way to go. It was kind of a pain in the butt, humping the Sony from the other apt. and then swapping it out with the other 100-pound TV (instead of just leaving the one in place), but the Sony's picture does look better.

I've got the Akai on craigslist now!