Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Returning DVDs bought as part of a B1G1 sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning DVDs bought as part of a B1G1 sale

What happens if you return a B1G1 dvd that was the Free one? How does CH credit that? What if you return them both?
Old 06-17-08, 11:32 AM

Damn you! I thought B1G1 was in effect again!

I don't have any answer for your question though.
Old 06-17-08, 04:57 PM

You're a B1G1.
Old 06-18-08, 01:21 AM

...nobody?
Old 06-18-08, 09:35 AM

Guess nobody wants to tackle that one. Sounds like a question for a CSR. And you still might get an answer that doesn't make any sense.
Old 06-18-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It probably wasn't answered because
1) the original subject line was VERY misleading, and irritated everyone who jumped into the thread and read it,
2) it doesn't belong in its own thread (there is a CH questions thread, and I KNOW this has been asked before),
3) this doesn't seem very complicated (CH is not the only company in the world to offer B1G1 promotions, and they basically all do the same thing),
4) YMMV, as CH makes mistakes all the time,
5) we don't work there, and as said before, only a CSR can really answer it definitively (see #4), and
6) it rather begs the question: why do it?

If you return it, you will be refunded the purchase price, $0, and that will be the end of it. The DVD has no other price associated with it. You paid $0 for it, and that's all you can get back.

If you return both, you will be refunded the purchase price for the cost of the one you paid for.

If you only return the one you paid for, CH will refund you its purchase price, and then the other one will no longer be "free" and you'll be charged the full price for that one.

And of course along the way of trying to complete the return, expect mischarges, double charges, overcharges, extra refunds, extra copies of the DVDs received later, re-orders, back orders, and double and triple orders.

So, the advice given when this has been asked before: don't bother; it's more trouble than it's worth. You also didn't explain why you wanted to return it.
Old 06-18-08, 10:41 AM

I wanted to return a few, because CH screwed up my account big time. I made a bunch of orders on mine, used a bunch of funcash, and they applied all the funcash onto a CLOSED account, charged me full price for that order, anything I used B1G1 for got charged full price on a whole DIFFERENT account and shipped. Pretty much anything I ordered in a month vanished, CH had NO record of it, I got charged for it all, and found I got charged incorrectly on an account I closed 6 months ago. ...ugh.
Old 06-18-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it sounds like you're not really returning things that were B1G1, after all. The first step seems to be to get someone on the phone who can help, or send a massive email with all the details you can find and hope it makes its way up the chain to someone who can help you and emails you back.

I had similar craziness happen at the end of the B1G4 deal, and a phone call got 80% of it resolved (one order was "processing," and they couldn't change anything on that one). A second call a week later got that final order fixed.
Old 06-26-08, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cheato
it doesn't belong in its own thread (there is a CH questions thread, and I KNOW this has been asked before)
I never understood that "Questions about ColumbiaHouse" thread. Isn't the forum itself a place for questions about ColumbiaHouse. If it was become a repository for FAQ then, well, shouldn't that be in the FAQ? And that thread is so long it is impossible to actually find an answer to your question unless you just ask it again.

But I digress. . .

As far as the returns go, I just did one on a B1G4 free shipping deal (damaged disc). I actually e-mailed prior to returning the item and explained the situation and that I wanted not to return it for another copy but to exchange it for an entirely different movie.

Got a response w/i 12 hours if you can believe it! CH sent the exchange title first (which they charged me for + shipping), they then sent a return label. I sent the original damaged disc back, they credited me for that title (ex-shipping since the original deal included free ship). They then proceeded to ship me another copy of the damaged disc, apparently unaware that they had already sent me a separate replacement/exchange for which they also charged me. Another e-mail to customer service and they credit me the shipping charge back on the exchange (since under the original deal I would not have been charged shipping) and I just put the second erroneously sent replacement back in the mail for which I will again be credited.

Whew!

So long story short, you can return/exchange anything under any type of deal, but you can also be certain it will be a PITA!
Old 06-26-08, 04:21 PM
jgp
Cool New Member

hear, hear! PITA is the truth. I am still working through the end of my B1G1 Blu-Ray orders from February. To put it politely, some CSRs are much more knowledgeable than others.
Old 06-27-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by avoiceoreason
I never understood that "Questions about ColumbiaHouse" thread. Isn't the forum itself a place for questions about ColumbiaHouse. If it was become a repository for FAQ then, well, shouldn't that be in the FAQ? And that thread is so long it is impossible to actually find an answer to your question unless you just ask it again.

But I digress. . .
As I said in the first post of the Questions thread:
It would be helpful if you didn't ask questions in the "stickied" threads at the top of the forum, unless they are specific to those topics. While you are welcome to open a new thread to ask a question, I have noticed that some are reluctant to do so. So, feel free to ask questions here. There are a number of Columbia House "veterans" in this forum who can often answer questions.
Can I say it any plainer than that?

I realize that some here tend to disparage the opening of threads to ask questions. Like you, I don't get it. Once the question is answered and the discussion is finished, the thread will slide down the page, to be replaced by other threads. What's the problem with that?

The reason for asking that general questions not be asked in the stickied threads is that it makes those threads longer and it is a nuisance to close a stickied thread and get it replaced with a new one. This is because it has to be done by a moderator and they don't visit this forum much. That's all. It isn't some sort of conspiracy to quash questions.

I understand that the Questions thread is long and impractical for someone new to read. That isn't its purpose. It is ok to ask the same question again. In some cases I have tried to put FAQs in the first post of the thread. But I can't possibly answer them all and, with some questions, the answers change over time. ("What's the best code for...?")

For long threads here, and in other forums at DVD Talk, I suggest that newcomers read the first post and then the last couple of pages, if the thread topic seems to be of interest. Isn't this something that most of us already do?

Last edited by lizard; 06-27-08 at 11:59 AM.