Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best Cheap Older Projector?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best Cheap Older Projector?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
What Would Be A Good Cheap Projector?

An older projector that I could fined used.

I am looking on ebay, so I thought I would ask around for opinions on the best older projector I can get for under two hundred with cheap bulb replacement, I am currently using a nine year old twenty six inch tube television, so I am not used to HD or anything, just hope to have an image at the same level as my current television, the room I would be using gets quiet dark with the drapes down, I could always save up for something better, this has to do with total I would like to spend at this time even if I did save up, looking to have a bigger image then that tiny television.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Xiroteus; 06-17-08 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-18-08, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
save up for something better
Old 06-18-08, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am thinking about it, I did that with my computer, I was thinking of getting a cheap simple system for the internet, saved $500 plus and build a real computer, best purchase I have made in years.

Regardless of what I purchase, I need something with cheap bulbs, if something goes wrong I will not have $200-$300 to replace one at this time, I am still looking at cheap used projectors, some are the size of a computer.
Old 06-18-08, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing with projectors, even older ones, is that the bulb is relatively expensive. Even if the bulbs are cheap, they may be hard to find. For under $200, you're not really going to find an HD-capable projector. If you do, I wouldn't waste my money because there has to be something wrong with it. You can't really build a projector (unless you really know what you're doing), so honestly, save your money and get something better in a year or so.
Old 06-18-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am not looking for anything capable of HD at this time, that would take a bit more money, since I am used to a nine year old 26" tube television I would not be downgrading if the image is not up to date with HD. A lot of the older ones are quiet large.

Even if I save up for something better, I still need one with cheap replacement bulbs.

I looked into building a projector, I can build things, they are big and would still cost a few dollars anyway, that is something I will pass on for now.
Old 06-18-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There aren't any projectors with cheap bulbs I know of, except that Lumenlabs projector they built briefly (and it had awfully weak image quality). It was essentially a DIY LCD projector built like a real one. And the PQ (especially contrast) was awful.

Front projection bulbs require high output of light, consistent color and brightness, etc. They're not cheap.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 06-18-08 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw some cheap projectors that use seven dollars bulbs, only at 300 lumens and 150:1 which is VERY low based on what is out there today.
Old 06-20-08, 02:51 PM

I would not recommend those. Seven dollar bulbs are not worth it. At 300 lumens and 150:1 contrast ratio, an Ipod would get a better picture. You're better off connecting that to your TV.
Old 06-20-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was considered good about ten years ago, of course so was the original Nintendo, things change, be nice if there was a projector with cheap lamps/bulbs.
Old 06-20-08, 04:59 PM

You're not going to be happy if you are trying to match the PQ of your 26" TV for a cheap used projector at $200. You're taking the same resolution image and blowing it up 3-4 times.
Old 06-20-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That would look quiet bad, of course it can get a bit larger at the current resolution, too much and I would have some issues. I have never personally seen what the image would look like, I would just save up a bit more for a better projector if they had cheap bulbs/lamps.

If someone so happened to want to buy a cheap older projector with cheap replacement bulbs, is there something that would be the best among older projectors?

Last edited by Xiroteus; 06-20-08 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-20-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This sounds like a good question for the guys at AVSforum. Heck someone will probably try to sell you their old equipment.
Old 06-20-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will take a look, thanks.

One day, HD projector.
Old 06-21-08, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts
I use one of these at work: CTX EZPro 550

The picture quality isn't great, but it's not terrible. I sometimes show videos to my students on mine and it does the job fine.

You can find them dirt cheap on ebay or elsewhere. (There are other brands that produced exactly the same model under different names.) The bulbs are also easy to find online and they are cheap--less than $10.

But the bulbs are only rated at about 100 hours or so. I only use mine two or three hours a week, so I only go through one or two bulbs a year. But if you are planning on using this projector to replace a television, you might have to buy bulbs very frequently and it'll eventually add up to a lot, depending on your viewing habits. For $500 you can probably find a new projector with much better picture quality and even though the lamp might be expensive to replace, it'll come with a lamp that will last 3,000 to 4,000 hours.
Old 06-21-08, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the model number, do you know how many numbers there are for the same unit?

Rated as on okay picture? Appears it would need a really dark room.

I ran into one like that, the Vp800, prices appear to depend on how the seller lists it as well as being tested, most go for under $120, one vp800 went for $300. Uh, a little much for a ten year old projector.

The bulbs should not be too much of a problem, life is quite short, it would mostly be for movies.

For $500 you can probably find a new projector with much better picture quality and even though the lamp might be expensive to replace, it'll come with a lamp that will last 3,000 to 4,000 hours.
I may get one of those in a couple years, the high cost of replacing the bulb is troublesome, however, 4,000 hours is a long time, that is a couple thousand movies based on two hours, it has taken me five years to watch 1100 films, with many far less then two hours, the projector may die before the bulb does, I only worry if something goes wrong too soon, overall it may not be anything to worry about too much.

Last edited by Xiroteus; 06-21-08 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-21-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Well if you are really set on this and are willing to do some work and not have a "plug and play" experience, you can probably pick up a used CRT front project for $500 or so I'd guess.

They still have a big following and excellent picture. You just really got to do some research and learn about them. They are harder to set up in general and require regular re-calibration (so I understand - I am not an expert). But if you are willing to put up with these quirks, you can have a very, very nice image that can compete with many of the digital that are out there.
Old 07-02-08, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got one of those lightware Vp800, I need a better screen then a sheet, that was just to test it, not bad, it is a ten year old projector, does look a bit washed out, and of course not really sharp, I knew that, the image is not good enough for a super sharp picture blow up that large, it can be fun, I will want something much better in the future.

If I get something with a 4,000 lamp life, I am really not going to worry about it burring out five plus years later, or longer.
Old 07-02-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about the Infocus X1? how expensive are bulbs for that?
Old 07-04-08, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3
What about the Infocus X1? how expensive are bulbs for that?
It'll set you back at least $250.

To the OP, save your money and get something better later on...
Old 07-05-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by onabudget

To the OP, save your money and get something better later on...
Yep, another problem, the Vp800 is a little loud, not bad, it is hot, warms up a small area, if the picture looks washed out and funny, being large is not good enough, guessing many people would rather just watch it on a smaller television or monitor.