DVD Talk
Charlie Jones, former NBC Sports Broadcaster, dies at Age 77 [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Charlie Jones, former NBC Sports Broadcaster, dies at Age 77

DJariya
06-14-08, 02:56 PM
I'm surprised noone has brought this up. Charlie Jones was such a recognizable voice/personality on NBC Sports for so long. I didn't realize he retired in 1997.

Charlie Jones, the deep-voiced sportscaster whose 38-year career as a play-by-play announcer dated to the beginning of the American Football League in 1960, has died at 77.

Jones died of a heart attack Thursday at his home in the La Jolla district, said Martin Mandel, his longtime agent.

Mandel called Jones a legend, citing his "wonderful kettledrum voice" and his versatility. NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol called Jones "one of the great pioneers of NBC Sports."

He started at ABC in 1960, the year the American Football League made its debut. He moved to NBC in 1965, remaining with that network until 1997. Jones announced 28 different sports, while with NBC, from golf to tennis, baseball to figure skating. He called the Olympics at Seoul in 1988 and Atlanta in 1996.

"He said, 'I never felt like I ever went to work,' " said his wife, Ann Jones. "... He said, 'I've got the best seat in the house.' "

Jones battled prostate cancer, beginning in December 2001. He wrote or co-wrote four books from 1997-2003, three on sports and one on surviving cancer.

He is survived by his wife, two children and three grandchildren.

Red Dog
06-14-08, 06:21 PM
One of my all-time favorites. Always seemed to call those late-afternoon AFC West contests.