Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gossip Girl producers considering spinoff

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Gossip Girl producers considering spinoff

Apparently this "idea" is being shopped around by Warner Brothers television and Alloy Entertainment which produce the show. Personally, I don't think this is a good idea for a show that has pretty low ratings and is only 1 year old. I wonder how could Rufus even afford to send Jenny to boarding school anyways?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...3f168895624378

The makers of "Gossip Girl" are planning a spinoff series set at a girls boarding school.

Producers are hoping to expand the popular CW show by either giving co-star Taylor Momsen her own series or by introducing a new character in the fall who is later spun off.

Regardless of which actor is used, the story would likely draw on the arc of Momsen's character Jenny Humphrey in the "Gossip Girl" book series for inspiration.

Humphrey is a self-esteem challenged outsider who struggles to fit in. In the books, a series of public embarrassments (such as appearing in a teen magazine wearing next to nothing) results in Humphrey having to either repeat ninth grade or find a new school. She elects to enter a boarding school and reinvents herself as a popular girl. Her story is told in a series of six "Gossip" spinoff novels called "The It Girl."

The big question is whether such a project would be picked up by the CW. The network already has two teen dramas set in high school this fall -- "Gossip" and "90210," a contemporary spinoff from the 1980s Fox series -- as well as "One Tree Hill," in which the characters recently graduated from high school. Plus, though "Gossip" has a devoted following and significant cultural buzz, its ratings are pretty modest.

Alloy Entertainment owns both book series, co-produces the TV show and has a first-look deal with "Gossip" series co-producer Warner Bros. Television, whose parent, Warner Bros. Entertainment, co-owns the CW.

All of which means the CW has right of first refusal on any "Gossip" spinoff. If refused, Alloy could in theory shop the project to cable networks that target young women, including ABC Family and MTV.

Broadcast scripted series spinoffs are increasingly common, with NBC's "The Office" and Fox's "Family Guy" having new shows launch next season. Such others as Fox's "Prison Break" and "House" are at an early stage similar to "Gossip," with producers intending to introduce characters for a potential spinoff but without a series commitment.

A CW spokesman declined comment.
Old 06-11-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it would follow the books... but I also think it is too soon to start spinning off. Although cross-over potential like they had during Buffy/Angel on the same network might be cool...
Old 06-11-08, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree... i think its a good idea but not yet... the should wait until after season 2 or 3 and see how successful it is after those...
Old 06-11-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here we go again. Josh Schwartz's previous show, The O.C., also had spinoff talk after its first season and we saw how the creative quality of that series immediately took a nosedive.

And even though it's a guilty pleasure of mine, Gossip Girl's first season is nowhere close to as good as The O.C.'s.
Old 06-11-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Didn't they already do a (short) arc where she reinvented herself as a popular girl? Was that in the books as well?

But I agree, even for the CW, spinning off a show after a first season that drew modest ratings (but held up pretty well on internet viewings) seems like suicide if they want to have the same creators involved. Did any other show spin-off another show after the first season?
Old 06-11-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
The only way they could do a spinoff is if they gave Chuck his own show.
Old 06-11-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Did any other show spin-off another show after the first season?
Yes. I believe Maude spun off from All in the Family after one season.

Others:
Dallas (1978) spun off Knots Landing (1979)
Diff'rent Strokes (1978) spun off Facts of Life (1979)

Last edited by rfduncan; 06-11-08 at 02:26 PM.