Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MIRACLE AT ST. ANNA (Spike Lee's $45 million WWII movie)- Sept. 2008

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant wait to see this one. This is certainly one of my most anticipated films of the year. Touchstone is doing this one which is good news. They have been the studio behind some of Spike Lee's best films (Summer of Sam, 25th Hour, He Got Game). Hopefully they will give this a proper release and hopefully their will be an audience for it.
The Story: "Miracle at St. Anna chronicles the story of four black American soldiers who are members of the US Army as part of the all-black 92nd Buffalo Soldier Division stationed in Tuscany, Italy during World War II. They experience the tragedy and triumph of the war as they find themselves trapped behind enemy lines and separated from their unit after one of them risks his life to save an Italian boy."

The multi-ethnic (Black, White, Italian) Cast includes Derek Luke, Micheal Ealy, John Turturo, Walton Goggins, Robert John Burke, and super-hottie Valentina Cervi. ALso, sure to be of note is composer Terrence Blanchard who is working yet again with Lee. This has me excited as well since I consider the score for 25th Hour to be among the top film scores of all time.

Great theatrical teaser poster:
Old 06-09-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I can't wait to hear Clint Eastwood's thoughts on it.
Old 06-09-08, 04:49 PM

I wish the entire American army was African American, that way it wouldn't be racist.
Old 06-09-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
From the poster, it looks like a lot of Italians are involved in the production.
Old 06-09-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
From the poster, it looks like a lot of Italians are involved in the production.
And they were poorly treated, no doubt.

Spike, much like your thoughtless comments as of late, stick this right up your ass. More racially motivated propaganda from an overrated filmmaker. I'd rather see Uwe Boll's Postal than watch this.
Old 06-09-08, 07:43 PM
Banned

It's turning into the imdb forum in here.
Old 06-09-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Are there any black people in it?
Old 06-09-08, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
What did you think was going to happen? Spike calls out Clint and it's posted in the Movie Forum. There are six pages in that thread with most people either politely disagreeing with Spike or completely burying him.

Now, there's a thread about Spike Lee's new WWII movie. Did you think that the comments in this thread weren't going resemble what was being said in the other thread?

I most likely won't see this film, not because of Spike's beliefs or views, but because I think he's a mediocre director and most of his films stink. The basic story sounds interesting, but it'd take positive reviews from people I trust to get me to deem it worth a look.
Old 06-09-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vcuram
he's a mediocre director and most of his films stink.
I think that's a little harsh...

When the Levees Broke
Inside Man
25th Hour
Summer of Sam
He Got Game
4 Little Girls
Get on the Bus
Clockers
Malcolm X
Jungle Fever
Mo' Better Blues
Do the Right Thing
She's Gotta Have It
Old 06-09-08, 09:31 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Well, are the Nazi's going to be played by black actors? If not, Spike is racist.
Old 06-09-08, 09:43 PM
Banned

Can we at least keep the ignorant "Spike Lee is a racist" comments to the other thread then? Can we try to keep this one about the actual film? Its obvious alot of people on here don't think highly of Lee or his films.
Old 06-09-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
I might have been really interested in this movie...

...If Spike hadn't started shooting his mouth off and badmouthing Clint Eastwood (for a horseshit reason, no less).

You're not going to get away from the Spike bashing on this thread - and you can thank the man himself for it. It's pretty hard to separate the man from the film since it's his film.
Old 06-09-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the WWII genre so I'll definitely be seeing it.
Old 06-09-08, 11:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by B5Erik

...If Spike hadn't started shooting his mouth off and badmouthing Clint Eastwood (for a horseshit reason, no less).

You're not going to get away from the Spike bashing on this thread - and you can thank the man himself for it. It's pretty hard to separate the man from the film since it's his film.
So people who disagree with Lee's assessment of Eastwood's film (and he said nothing about the quality or craftsmanship behind that film may I remind you) won't see Lee's film even though it could end up being one of the best films of the year and one of the most unique WWII films to come out of Hollywood ever?
Is this not an important story to be told?
Old 06-10-08, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
So people who disagree with Lee's assessment of Eastwood's film (and he said nothing about the quality or craftsmanship behind that film may I remind you) won't see Lee's film...
Yep. That sums it up pretty well. I know I don't want to give him any support. I never had any interest in his movies up to this point, but now I have interest in knowing what his latest movie is so I can avoid it.

...even though it could end up being one of the best films of the year and one of the most unique WWII films to come out of Hollywood ever?
Or it could be a total crapfest. Given Spike's lack of interest in having Eastwood put out a historically accurate WWII movie, one has to wonder how many other "facts" he's padded or altered in this one.

And the movie could just be total crap.

Is this not an important story to be told?
I don't know. Maybe it is, but Spike Lee just lost all credibility with me (and, I suspect, a lot of other people) since what he wanted Clint to do would have been politically correct, but factually and historically incorrect. How do I know which facts he exaggerated in this movie? He wanted Clint to exaggerate certain facts about the battle of Iwo Jima (or, more accurately, he apparently hoped that Clint would do it, and threw a hissy fit after the fact because Clint didn't).

It's like the Tom Cruise thing. A lot of people can't get over that, either. It's kind of hard to forget about someone being a total jackass when you're watching his or her movie.

Maybe I'll watch this one down the line, but only if the concensus is that it really is a great movie - and historically accurate. (I wouldn't make such a big deal about that except that Lee himself made it an issue.)
Old 06-10-08, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I've admired almost every movie Lee has produced, and I'm glad to see him doing something ambitious after fooling around the last few years (She Hate Me, Inside Man)

I'm really curious to see how this is going to be, considering that just about every movie he's made has taken place in contemperary New York. If I'm remembering his impressive filmography correctly the only "period" movie he's done* is Malcom X, and I find that to be the one glaring medicore movie he has made. (And yes Mr. Scorsese, I understand I'm in the minority on that one.)

*Should anyone say "Umm... Summer of Sam " I'll concede it is a "period" film, but in terms of setting and relative time period it is consistent with the majority of his body of work.
Old 06-10-08, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I think that's a little harsh...

When the Levees Broke
Inside Man
25th Hour
Summer of Sam
He Got Game
4 Little Girls
Get on the Bus
Clockers
Malcolm X
Jungle Fever
Mo' Better Blues
Do the Right Thing
She's Gotta Have It
Thanks, I know what he's done. My opinion is that most of those stink. Do the Right Thing and When the Levees Broke are the only ones I'd categorize as "must see". 25th Hour is the other one I'd rate as above average. Again, those are just my opinions. I realize a lot of film "experts" would disagree with me, but that's the great thing about watching and studying film, everyone can formulate their own ideas as to what's good and what's not.
Old 06-10-08, 03:35 AM

Yay! Another war movie. Aleksandra, Australia and now this. Keep'em coming.
Old 06-10-08, 08:21 AM
Banned

It's like the Tom Cruise thing. A lot of people can't get over that, either. It's kind of hard to forget about someone being a total jackass when you're watching his or her movie.
Well, some true lovers of film like myself actually try to judge a film based on its own artistic merits and not the actions of the filmmakers in their off time.
If I refused to watch films made my so-called assholes I'd be missing a lot of great movies. I guess I'd probably have to throw away anything made by Peckinpah, or starring Bronson or Mcqueen, etc.
Old 06-10-08, 08:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Great poster. Sounds interesting.
Old 06-10-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Spike Lee 'joint' about war?...

Old 06-10-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
And they were poorly treated, no doubt.

Spike, much like your thoughtless comments as of late, stick this right up your ass. More racially motivated propaganda from an overrated filmmaker. I'd rather see Uwe Boll's Postal than watch this.
Congratulations on being so open minded.
Old 06-10-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Hardly. The comments are no where near on that level. And Lee deserves any backlash he's getting. I've never liked him as a person, but watched his movies. But no longer. I'm sick of his racial remarks. And will no longer support him in any way.
Old 06-10-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

His reason was to gain publicity and promotion for his movie. And yes, that is horse shit.
Old 06-12-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Here is the trailer :

http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/82...tandardformat/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.