Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What is Box Office Video?

baracine
06-09-08, 01:17 PM
I saw this adlink on DVD Savant's main page. It advertises The Uninvited on DVD, a film that hasn't been released in that format in Region 1 that I know of. Is this a VHS-to-DVD scam of some sort?

http://stores.boxofficegreats.com/Detail.bok?no=56

http://stores.boxofficegreats.com/catalog/uninvited.jpg

Rockmjd23
06-09-08, 01:22 PM
I'd say bootleg. I've never heard of them and "All DVDs are playable WorldWide!" is usually a good indicator. Universal is sitting on this movie, IIRC.

baracine
06-09-08, 01:31 PM
I'd say bootleg. I've never heard of them and "All DVDs are playable WorldWide!" is usually a good indicator. Universal is sitting on this movie, IIRC.

The site says they deal in Public Domain titles but I'm more concerned with the quality of what we're getting: a bad transfer of a VHS source?

My Other Self
06-09-08, 02:00 PM
They sell bootlegs. They used to sell a Three Stooges collection with TV-rips for a long time before Sony did something.

baracine
06-09-08, 05:50 PM
Thanks for info, guys. I think I'll keep my VHS copy of The Uninvited. I once bought a TV bootleg DVD of Polanski's Repulsion and I couldn't see a single thing after the 30 minute mark, the picture was so dark.

dvd-4-life
06-09-08, 07:00 PM
They sell bootlegs. They used to sell a Three Stooges collection with TV-rips for a long time before Sony did something.
I thought that The Three Stooges were public domain except for there movies.

My Other Self
06-09-08, 07:34 PM
I thought that The Three Stooges were public domain except for there movies.No. Only four shorts of the 190 are Public Domain:

Disorder in the Court
Sing a Song of Six Pants
Malice in the Palace
Bridless Groom

Sony holds the copyrights to the rest. Some of their MGM shorts as well as their movie Nertsery Rhymes is in the public domain as well.