Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with DVD Player Digital out, and analog out - at same time

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-05-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I recently picked up the Philips 5990/37 from BestBuy, and updated the firmware from the Philips website.

First off, I want to say that this Philips has better Picture Quality, and more features than many players 3x the price!

I am having a slight issue however.

According the the Manual (Page 39 HERE ), this player will not allow Digital Out when the HDMI audio is turned on. That means, that I can't have HDMI audio to my TV while the coaz/digital out is going to my Amplifier/Receiver.

So, ok, I turned off the HDMI Out, and figured I would just use red/white audio cables to output audio to my TV (new Samsung LN46A550). Well, that doesn't go through either.

It seems that I am stuck with HDMI audio, and non-Dolby sound going to my receiver, OR NO HDMI audio, and being allowed to take advantage of the digital/coax audio out.

Kinda frustrating. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Matt!
Old 06-05-08, 11:25 PM

Why do you want sound going to tv and receiver, at the same time?
In a surround setup, the tv is used for video only.

I, personally, don't see a problem. I've never understood why some folks want to turn off the surround receiver, and listen through tv speakers. You couldn't pay me to listen to tv speakers. But that's just me..........

If you're wanting to listen, while others sleep, there's probably a midnight mode (or similar) on the receiver, just for that purpose, so you don't have to listen to tv's speakers. I'd just use the HDMI to tv, for video, and digital coax or optical to receiver, for audio.

It will probably work if you use component cables, along with red and white audio cables, to the tv, in other inputs. Then it'll use HDMI and coax or optical for surround. When you don't want surround, turn off receiver, and watch and listen to tv through the other inputs.
Good luck!
Old 06-06-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Emoxley,

Yea, I agree with you, I always like the audio from the receiver - but sometimes, at night, it's easier just to turn the tv on, and have the sound from there.... That's all..

Latter,

Matt!
Old 06-08-08, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If he uses component cables though, the player won't upconvert (most) DVDs.
Old 06-08-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
If he uses component cables though, the player won't upconvert (most) DVDs.

Drexl,

You are correct... However, there are a few players (mainly older) that will upconvert to (only) 1080i - most of THOSE, however, need a remote hack to be preformed first...

Thanks,

Matt!