Reload this Page >

Renting video games from the library.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-04-08, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
i wasn't sure if this was the right part of the site to ask this, but i was wondering what people thought about something. I work at a library in Ohio, and i just found out starting in July sometime, we will be carrying PS2, PS3, Wii, and Xbox360 games. now when i heard this i was excited, since i really enjoy playing games.
what does everyone think about this?
im just wondering.
thanks
-tom
Old 06-04-08, 09:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Pretty cool. It's definitely a service I'd take advantage of if my library offered it.
Old 06-04-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My library rents them for one week at a time, and the bonus is that they are free. Nice way to try out some games before buying.
Old 06-04-08, 10:20 AM

Hey achau9598,
how long has your library been renting out video games? i have never heard of a library doing that before, but im very excited about it.
Old 06-04-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like Orlando library has a pretty good selection of titles. None of the newest stuff, but a nice assortment of older titles.
Old 06-04-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This would be incredible.
Old 06-04-08, 11:15 AM

It sounds cool, but after about a month I doubt any of those games will be playable. Everytime I rent a CD or a DVD from the library I get about ten minutes into it and it stops playing because it is all scratched to hell.
Old 06-04-08, 11:54 AM
Banned

The library here has a nice selection, no M titles, but fairly new T and E titles for all formats.
Old 06-04-08, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FusionX
The library here has a nice selection, no M titles, but fairly new T and E titles for all formats.
[typical teenager] OMG WTF No M titles???!!11 T and E are sucky kiddy games. Good games are always M.[/typical teenager]

Spoiler:
Yes, I have seen some posts like that on other forums.
Old 06-04-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I don't think my library does this. At least I didn't notice any in the media section the last time I was there.
Old 06-04-08, 12:12 PM
Banned

I'd love to see M games available, but I've been able to play some decent T/E games to save a rental. The last game I played from there was We Ski and I dropped off a donation of Lego Indiana Jones 360 there last night, so it should hit shelves soon.
Old 06-04-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My library carries games. I guess if they're going to carry dvds, then why not these? These, coupled with the increase carrying of manga, might be an attempt to get some kids back into the library who normally wouldn't go there?
Old 06-04-08, 12:40 PM

I say beggars can't be choosers. If the library is going to supply games for free to rent I'll take whatever I can get. Hell half the games out there now are T or below and are AWESOME so its a win/win. . . so long as they aren't scratched to hell, but even at that you aren't out but the time it took to get the game and a little gas to go to the library.
Old 06-04-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by metalhead212
It sounds cool, but after about a month I doubt any of those games will be playable. Everytime I rent a CD or a DVD from the library I get about ten minutes into it and it stops playing because it is all scratched to hell.
This.

Unless they are investing in disc resurfacers as well.
Old 06-04-08, 11:41 PM

The library in Champaign-Urbana started to carry them when they opened a new main library. It was great at first but you really had to time your visits right since most of the games were cherry picked off the shelving carts before they had a chance to be reshelved. Also, they haven't added any new games since. I'll be very interested to see if they add the new EA Sports games this fall. Terms are no holds allowed, no renewals allowed, and one week lending period. Although I do have some luck with sweet talking people at one of the branches to check in/re-check out a game if I want it more than the 7 days.
Old 12-19-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Renting video games from the library.

I decided to bump this thread to see if anyone else has this going on in their areas or not. Our local libraries have really got on board with game rentals. Within the past month I have seen Halo 4, Borderlands 2, NFS Most Wanted, COD:BOII, XCOM, WWE 13, Dishonored, Medal of Honor and other major releases at the library. And the cool thing is you can request them online and pick them up and keep them for a week. As long as there are enough copies and no one else requests them, you can renew them online and keep them for up to a month. So has anyone else been able to take advantage of this?
Old 12-15-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Renting video games from the library.

Just found out that our local library ordered their first batch of PS4 & XB1 games I went ahead and requested COD:AW, so now I can return my unopened copy.

I didn't know if they were going to or not, since I started seeing some Wii U games there a couple months ago. Better late then never.