Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Audio Switching Question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Audio Switching Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Audio Switching Question

I'm not sure if this is possible at a reasonable cost, but I thought i'd see if anyone had some solutions or workarounds as to whether this would work. This is something I'm trying to work out for someone else, and as a side note, if I need to purchase new components to make this work, that would be an option depending on costs. Here's the setup...

The guy's office has both a PC and a Mac Pro. The PC is currently connected to a Logitech z-640 5.1 set of PC speakers. Along with those, he has a Plasma TV mounted on a wall with a HTIB 5.1 system from Kenwood (VR-715) with the speakers mounted on the walls offset from his desk. There's an HDMI to DVI cable run from the TV to his computers so he has the possibility of using it as a monitor to display various video presentations. Basically, it's so that he can review items in 5.1 from his desk at his computer monitor, and if there's a group of people he can use the TV with the home theater speakers (and running his PC or Mac Pro to the receiver to output the audio).

The question is whether it would be possible so that he can easily switch between any of the sources and speakers. So that either the PC or the Mac can work with any of the speakers with 5.1 sound. Does that sound possible?

I was thinking receivers with dual zones would work, but then his desk would have to be stereo sound since dual zone 5.1 speakers seem to be way too pricey. I'm not sure how else to flip between two sets of speakers, and i'm assuming i would probably need to replace the PC speakers with something else. Maybe i'm overcomplicating things. Heh.
Old 06-02-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, dualzone receivers should be fine because the main zone can be surround and the 2nd zone stereo, which is what you described as the setup. But also, 2 audio switches would also do the trick. One as input to choose the computer, one as output to choose speakers. Digital vs analog would be a possible issue. Best would be a receiver that can send the analog stereo to zone 2 from a digital input. I haven't been watching to see if they started doing that.

Or, if you're willing to be all stereo, simple Y adapters would be enough. Just turn off speakers you don't want playing.

The receiver would definitely be the slick choice.
Old 06-03-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Is there any decent solution to switch two 5.1 setups?
Old 06-03-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Spiky has given you good advice, unfortunately your situation can get rather complex depending on exactly what you are trying to achieve. Most of it will be too difficult to describe and explain here.

Might want to check this site

http://www.smarthome.com/_/Speakers_...R/1Sf/nav.aspx

Good luck