Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tim Burton developing "Dark Shadows"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Sign me up!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/06/...-dark-shadows/
Old 06-02-08, 05:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts
even though i don't know the "Dark Shadows" lore, i'll pretty much see anything with Burton + Depp.
Old 06-02-08, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds great. Hopefully we will get an Elfman score and an appearance by Christopher Lee.
Old 06-02-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think Christopher Lee is a must for something like this. I'm another one that isn't remotely familiar with the source material, but a vampire flick starring Depp, with Burton directing, is bound to at least be atmospheric and stylish. Count me in.
Old 06-02-08, 07:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I loooove Dark Shadows. This sounds great!
Old 06-02-08, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STOP WORKING WITH JOHNNY DEPP!

Seriously.

The problem I have with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter constantly being in Burton's films is that they're always perfect for their roles.

It's a weird problem to have.

The thing is that I'd like to see Burton branch out a bit. Those three are always hanging out together (yeah, two of them are married but that's no excuse for laziness when it comes to casting!). And even though Depp's the perfect leading man for Burton, because he looks right and he acts in the right way to balance exaggerated cartoonish extravagance with dark seriousness in Burton's films, I'm a bit fed up with Burton doing the same thing. I liked Big Fish because it was a bit different, and Planet of the Apes even had - some - good points.

Just get rid of Johnny Depp and Helena Cardboard-Box, and make something a bit different.

/This is, of course, all pointless because I like Burton (almost) unreservedly and so will see just about anything he makes.
//Not to mention that doing the same thing is one of the defining characteristics of auterism, whether it's easy to see (and most auteurs are easily definable as such) or not.
///So sue me. I'm a hypocrite.
Old 06-02-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orderandlaw
STOP WORKING WITH JOHNNY DEPP!

Seriously.

(Snip)
No Tim, don't. Seriously.

Don't fix what ain't broken.
Old 06-02-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Please don't listen to orderandlaw and keep the band together.

Sounds great, haven't had a vampire movie that I have liked in quite sometime. Hopefully that is all about to change.
Old 06-03-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Old 06-03-08, 08:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Based on the last Burton movie, we'll get to see Barnabas killing people in the exact same way over and over and over and over and over. And the critics will all rave about it for some reason.
Old 06-03-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Based on the last Burton movie, we'll get to see Barnabas killing people in the exact same way over and over and over and over and over. And the critics will all rave about it for some reason.
Boy, you really are a grouch. That's not what the critics raved about. But how would you have had the barber kill his victims? Hang them? Poison them? Have them watch the last two "Pirates" movies back to back? The victims were killed the same in the play. Just more graphic.
Old 06-03-08, 12:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
for those who don't know this 'Alice in Wonderland' is going to be a 3D film.
Old 06-03-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
for those who don't know this 'Alice in Wonderland' is going to be a 3D film.
I know nothing about his version of "Alice". Is it stop animation like "Nightmare"?
Old 06-03-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Sounds good to me! I've liked Burton's forays into gothic horror ("Sleepy Hollow" and "Sweeney Todd"). And how can anyone have a problem with Depp as Barnabas?!?
Old 06-04-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Burton + vampires? I'm in.
Old 06-04-08, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I know nothing about his version of "Alice". Is it stop animation like "Nightmare"?
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=3&id=46213.

live action and photo capture animation.
Old 06-04-08, 02:53 PM
Suspended

cool, i'm watching D.S. all the way through from the beginning right now

only up to S2 but it's surprisingly awesome, for such a cheesy serialized melodramatic kind of show

i used to groan every time i saw burton/depp but i've learned that they are kind of like herzog/kinski. they just work well together in a rare kind of way.

hated Chocolate Factory but i was such a fan of the original that i never gave it a chance. i doubted Sweeney Todd and had to eat my words later.
Old 06-04-08, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
cool, i'm watching D.S. all the way through from the beginning right now

only up to S2 but it's surprisingly awesome, for such a cheesy serialized melodramatic kind of show

i used to groan every time i saw burton/depp but i've learned that they are kind of like herzog/kinski. they just work well together in a rare kind of way.

hated Chocolate Factory but i was such a fan of the original that i never gave it a chance. i doubted Sweeney Todd and had to eat my words later.
well... no ... they aren't trying to strangle one another.
Old 06-04-08, 09:01 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Giles
well... no ... they aren't trying to strangle one another.
hey, i'm sure they have their moments

you know what i mean though.
Old 12-04-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Producer Richard D. Zanuck says Dark Shadows is going to be Burton's next project after Alice in Wonderland. Watch the video here.
Old 12-04-08, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Daytripper
No Tim, don't. Seriously.

Don't fix what ain't broken.
Well said.
That other poster who said stop working with Debb must be a manager or superviser for a living. Only they like to fix and mess with what's not broken.
Old 12-04-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

I'd like to see Johnny Depp direct a movie about Tim Burton directing a movie starring Johnny Depp, in which Johnny is directing a film about Danny Elfman, who is composing the music for a new Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp.....playing Danny Elfman.
Old 12-04-08, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The Infidel
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

I'd like to see Johnny Depp direct a movie about Tim Burton directing a movie starring Johnny Depp, in which Johnny is directing a film about Danny Elfman, who is composing the music for a new Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp.....playing Danny Elfman.
Now I've seen this in somebody's sig here before and I keep thinking. Being that I am a film major and do, hopefully, expect to work in this wonderful industry that I love to see. I always think that WHAT IF I used that as a pitch to Depp, Elfman, and Burton..and actually got it made? It's a humorous thing to think of but ever so entertaining. I actually pitched that idea for my film class for the subject of funny and entertaining ideas to make films on. My class was bewildered by that concept. It was a great time...A+.
Old 12-04-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Now I've seen this in somebody's sig here before and I keep thinking. Being that I am a film major and do, hopefully, expect to work in this wonderful industry that I love to see. I always think that WHAT IF I used that as a pitch to Depp, Elfman, and Burton..and actually got it made? It's a humorous thing to think of but ever so entertaining. I actually pitched that idea for my film class for the subject of funny and entertaining ideas to make films on. My class was bewildered by that concept. It was a great time...A+.
Since I was quoting myself, I will say "you're welcome".
Old 12-04-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Best. Movie. Ever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.