Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

SimCity Creator confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-08, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SimCity Creator confirmed

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6191745...s&subj=6191745

Electronic Arts gives the nod to another SimCity game, this one with 13 different city styles to build, including American, European, and Asian.

By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK
Posted May 29, 2008 8:50 am PT

Building and managing virtual cities seems to be one of those genres that just doesn't lose popularity. The SimCity series started in 1989, designed by Will Wright--also the creator of the Sims--and since then a slew of sequels and similar titles including City Life and Caesar have followed.

Erect tall skyscrapers.

The latest of these comes from Electronic Arts and is titled SimCity Creator. Billed as an "accessible and light-hearted" version of the franchise, the biggest new feature will be the ability to customise the city into a variety of regional styles. These will include American, Asian, and European city styles, although EA isn't prepared to get country-specific just yet.

The gameplay for the Wii version sounds as if it will be similar to previous titles in the SimCity series, with the gamer playing the city mayor, and allocating city zones in areas such as business, retail, or residential. There will be a redesigned interface for the Wii remote, and 'Hero' buildings will also be available, with some becoming unlocked depending on the current day, or the time period.

SimCity Creator DS, on the other hand, will have players guiding their city from ancient times into the future. There will be four game modes: Challenge, Free Play, Chance Encounter, and Gallery.

The game will be released on September 22 in the US and September 19 in Europe and Asia Pacific regions on both the Nintendo DS and Wii.
I really loved Sim City for the Super Nintendo and Sim City 2000 was pretty good, but I lost interest after that when they started with futuristic buildings. I would like a city building simulation that followed history in the 1800's and 1900's thru today. A simulation with all the problems of big cities, traffic, crime, overcrowding, streets that needed to be fixed, etc.

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 05-29-08 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-29-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

SimCity DS was horrible. EA is doing a great job of killing the franchise.
Old 05-29-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I really loved Sim City for the Super Nintendo and Sim City 2000 was pretty good, but I lost interest after that when they started with futuristic buildings. I would like a city building simulation that followed history in the 1800's and 1900's thru today. A simulation with all the problems of big cities, traffic, crime, overcrowding, streets that needed to be fixed, etc.
SimCity 4
Old 05-30-08, 12:44 PM

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/200...-more-simcity/

The only prescription is more SimCity
Posted May 30th 2008 12:30PM by Phil Larsen

The life of a dinosaur is tough, and full of peril. The wife is nagging you to get a promotion, the kids need new scales for school, while all along you work long hours for a pittance, destroying those pesky humans. And yet they rebuild!

Dinosaurs are a welcome addition to SimCity Creator, the fresh new title in the line of Sim games for the Wii. Have a browse through our brand new gallery of screens, and try not to be too hard on Mr. Dino. He's just trying to make enough money to get by. Go bust the chops of that giant robot dude, he's the evil one.

By using the Wiimote to control the action, SimCity Creator should shape up to a be a decent console entry into the classic franchise. Will the gameplay hold its own under the scrutiny of long-time Sim fans? Come to your hasty conclusions after viewing the gallery.
You see, this is the reason why I haven't liked the new incarnations of the Sim City games. Stupid things like dinosaur invasions!

I want a serious city building sim that is based on historical and real life events!

Chris
Old 05-30-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok sue me, I don't want to use Wiimote or Stylus controls in sim city. I have a hard enough time with a mouse getting my city perfect. I'll stick with Sim City 4 thanks.
Old 05-30-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You see, this is the reason why I haven't liked the new incarnations of the Sim City games. Stupid things like dinosaur invasions!

I want a serious city building sim that is based on historical and real life events!

Chris
I played SimCity and SimCity 2 back on the Amiga in the late '80s. If I remember correctly, both of those had a Godzilla style'd Monster attack "disaster". He would destroy everything he stepped on and breathe fire which could spread. Dinosaurs aren't really anything new.
Old 05-30-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/200...-more-simcity/

Chris
Once again, Sim City 4 Deluxe is the exact game you're asking for.
Old 05-30-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
Once again, Sim City 4 Deluxe is the exact game you're asking for.
I'll third this - Sim City 4 is ridiculously detailed and should have all the stuff you hardcores are looking for - you can get the delux edition now for under $40.00 - it's a steal.
Old 05-30-08, 03:37 PM

Okay, thanx for the heads up!

Now if only they would put Sim City 4 on a console since I haven't played a game at my computer in about 8 years or so!

Chris
Old 05-30-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

These new games look really stupid. Sim City 4 is the be-all end-all title in the franchise as far as I'm concerned. It pretty much perfected the idea, to me.

Sim City 2000 was my favorite, favorite game in Elementary school, and probably one of my favorite games of all time. Sim City 4 just seemed like the natural evolution of that title, especially after the awful, awful Sim City 3000.

I just don't see why they have to go in such a silly direction with these new games. It looks like they're trying to appeal to kids - but as with a lot of children's media these days, I think they really underestimate a child's intelligence. If I could become an expert mayor in Sim City 2000 at age 7, I don't think dinosaurs and cutesy, themed cities are really necessary.

Sim City 2000 could capture a kid's imagination and result in hours and hours of creative play time with infinite possibilities, while also challenging their minds. These new games look like they'll be a passing amusment at best.

Or maybe, I'm just remembering my childhood a little too fondly.

Last edited by Nausicaa; 05-30-08 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-30-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got the deluxe edition at Amazon during a video game sale in the fall about 2 years ago for around $20, very much worth it.
Old 05-30-08, 05:50 PM

I cannot believe that Sim City 4 is over 5 years old now. Where the hell was I? I guess I was soured by Sim City 3000.

A couple of questions. This should run okay on a Vista machine, correct?

Also, there was mention about online play in some of the early reviews. How did this ever pan out? Are people still playing Sim City 4 online?

Thanx Chris