Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Netflix Streaming: PS3 and Xbox 360 (?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Netflix Streaming: PS3 and Xbox 360 (?)

Does anybody have any solid information on this capability coming to either or both of these consoles? I've heard it referenced/discussed in relation to them, but can't find anything citing Netflix, Sony or Microsoft.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have put a question in the title. I changed it, but it only modified the post rather than the thread. MOD, please make correction if possible.

Last edited by Superman07; 05-28-08 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-28-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I know is Netflix is thinking about (or maybe they are) releasing a unit which you can purchase and stream videos off of.

360 already has their own movie rental/purchase service.

I'm not sure about PS3.
Old 05-29-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
All I know is Netflix is thinking about (or maybe they are) releasing a unit which you can purchase and stream videos off of.

360 already has their own movie rental/purchase service.

I'm not sure about PS3.
The first item you mention was announced last week. It costs $99 and is available through Roku.

I have heard that Netflix is attempting to release means, including built in capabilities in Blu-ray players (namely LG).

However, there are also rumours that they are working with MS and Sony. I recognize that 360 has this (or a manner of), but how well is it doing? Again, the Netflix option tends towards unlimited viewing and older titles, whereas MS and Apple are geared more at new/recent releases.
Old 05-30-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I think the 360 can do this through a few software applications on the PC. I believe you MUST have Windows Media Center though.
Old 05-30-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
At first I was thinking 'how is netflix going to stream video games'. this makes more sence.
Old 11-24-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Netflix Streaming: PS3 and Xbox 360 (?)

I am thinking of doing this. Does anyone stream from netflix thru their ps3? If so how is it and how involved is it?

Thanks
Old 11-24-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

It's not involved at all. Both consoles are easy to use Netflix on and are very user friendly. I haven't tried it on the Wii so I can't speak for it.
Old 11-24-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
At first I was thinking 'how is netflix going to stream video games'. this makes more sence.
Speaking of "streaming games," how is that Onlive thing going?
Old 11-24-10, 08:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
It's not involved at all. Both consoles are easy to use Netflix on and are very user friendly. I haven't tried it on the Wii so I can't speak for it.
The Wii isn't too bad either.
Old 09-19-11, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Wow, this is pretty big news here. I'm sure it's already in the Store Forum, but deserves a spot here as well. From Joystiq:

Netflix's DVD division renamed 'Qwikster,' adds games-by-mail
by Jordan Mallory on Sep 19th 2011 1:30AM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c8Tn8n5CIPk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Netflix made waves a few weeks ago when it split its streaming and DVD-by-mail services into two separate plans with separate prices, but these measures were apparently more preparatory than reactionary, it seems. Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has announced that the movie megalith's DVD-by-mail devision will be separated from its streaming services and spun off into its own company: Qwikster.

Qwikster, which will officially launch "in a few weeks," will be a completely independent entity from Netflix; the two services will not integrate in any way, meaning two different websites, two different accounts, and two different bills. What's truly out of left field, however, is the fact that Qwikster will also offer PS3, 360 and Wii titles by way of a "video game upgrade option" similar to Netflix's existing Blu-Ray upgrade system.

Despite the fact that Qwikster will be its own corporate entity with its own CEO, Hastings stresses that the transition is "merely a renamed version of the Netflix DVD website, but with the addition of video games." It will be interesting to see how the service fares without Netflix's all-powerful brand recognition, and what impact (if any) the change will have on other game-by-mail services like GameFly. For now, we just hope this news somehow translates into more SGT. Frog episodes getting added to Instant Play
Old 09-19-11, 02:49 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Joystiq
Qwikster will also offer PS3, 360 and Wii titles by way of a "video game upgrade option" similar to Netflix's existing Blu-Ray upgrade system.
I like that they're offering video game rentals. However, I dislike the way Netflix handles Blu-ray rentals.

I pay extra for the ability to rent Blu-rays. And that's fine when I get Blu-ray discs. But one month I might get a bunch of stuff that's only available on DVD, and I'm still charged the Blu-ray rate.

I'm guessing it'll work the same way for video games. If I want the ability to check-out video games, I'll be charged the higher rate. Even if I don't get any games that month.
Old 09-19-11, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious to see if this amounts to any serious competition for Gamefly, because quite frankly they need some.
Old 09-19-11, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I like that they're offering video game rentals. However, I dislike the way Netflix handles Blu-ray rentals.

I pay extra for the ability to rent Blu-rays. And that's fine when I get Blu-ray discs. But one month I might get a bunch of stuff that's only available on DVD, and I'm still charged the Blu-ray rate.

I'm guessing it'll work the same way for video games. If I want the ability to check-out video games, I'll be charged the higher rate. Even if I don't get any games that month.
But isn't that how a flat-rate service is supposed to work? If they start giving you a discount because you didn't get any BDs, they might as well just charge you for each disc like a traditional rental store.

It's not as if the number of movies I get each month is always the same.
Old 09-19-11, 08:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Curious to see if this amounts to any serious competition for Gamefly, because quite frankly they need some.
Redbox seems to be giving them a run for their money, even though their service is still in its infancy.
Old 09-19-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They better not fuck with my queue or movie ratings. Too much built up over time to just lose them.
Old 09-19-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This seems like an odd decision to break up a brand that has such a strong name.
Old 09-19-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
But isn't that how a flat-rate service is supposed to work? If they start giving you a discount because you didn't get any BDs, they might as well just charge you for each disc like a traditional rental store.

It's not as if the number of movies I get each month is always the same.
I think his compaint is not when he chooses to not get any blurays, but when they are all long wait.
Old 09-19-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I'm all for this, provided it's not like Gamefly where you can't get a new release game for 6 months after it's released. If they keep the promise of having plenty of new releases, I'll gladly pay more for a service like this.
Old 09-19-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm still pissed that I don't get Netflix streaming in 5.1 through my 360.
Old 09-19-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
They better not fuck with my queue or movie ratings. Too much built up over time to just lose them.
Get ready to be upset. The Qwikster movie (and game) rentals are completely separate from Netflix.
Old 09-19-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Get ready to be upset. The Qwikster movie (and game) rentals are completely separate from Netflix.
But shouldn't they just be able to port that info over? Grrrr....anger building...
Old 09-19-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think your queue or any of the information you've entered is going to be changed or lost. Talk about pissing people off.... that would be suicidal. Really, tho, I wouldn't worry about that.
Old 09-19-11, 02:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

You'll keep you queues, they just won't interact with each other anymore.
Old 09-19-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I'm still pissed that I don't get Netflix streaming in 5.1 through my 360.
Join the club...
Old 09-19-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know. I just got this in my email. Does the bolded sentence mean that the queues and rating will not be carried over?

Dear Brian,

I messed up. I owe you an explanation.

It is clear from the feedback over the past two months that many members felt we lacked respect and humility in the way we announced the separation of DVD and streaming and the price changes. That was certainly not our intent, and I offer my sincere apology. Let me explain what we are doing.

For the past five years, my greatest fear at Netflix has been that we wouldn't make the leap from success in DVDs to success in streaming. Most companies that are great at something – like AOL dialup or Borders bookstores – do not become great at new things people want (streaming for us). So we moved quickly into streaming, but I should have personally given you a full explanation of why we are splitting the services and thereby increasing prices. It wouldn’t have changed the price increase, but it would have been the right thing to do.

So here is what we are doing and why.

Many members love our DVD service, as I do, because nearly every movie ever made is published on DVD. DVD is a great option for those who want the huge and comprehensive selection of movies.

I also love our streaming service because it is integrated into my TV, and I can watch anytime I want. The benefits of our streaming service are really quite different from the benefits of DVD by mail. We need to focus on rapid improvement as streaming technology and the market evolves, without maintaining compatibility with our DVD by mail service.

So we realized that streaming and DVD by mail are really becoming two different businesses, with very different cost structures, that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently.

It’s hard to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”. We chose the name Qwikster because it refers to quick delivery. We will keep the name “Netflix” for streaming.

Qwikster will be the same website and DVD service that everyone is used to. It is just a new name, and DVD members will go to qwikster.com to access their DVD queues and choose movies. One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, but now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done. Other improvements will follow. A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated.

There are no pricing changes (we’re done with that!). If you subscribe to both services you will have two entries on your credit card statement, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total will be the same as your current charges. We will let you know in a few weeks when the Qwikster.com website is up and ready.

For me the Netflix red envelope has always been a source of joy. The new envelope is still that lovely red, but now it will have a Qwikster logo. I know that logo will grow on me over time, but still, it is hard. I imagine it will be similar for many of you.

I want to acknowledge and thank you for sticking with us, and to apologize again to those members, both current and former, who felt we treated them thoughtlessly.

Both the Qwikster and Netflix teams will work hard to regain your trust. We know it will not be overnight. Actions speak louder than words. But words help people to understand actions.

Respectfully yours,

-Reed Hastings, Co-Founder and CEO, Netflix

p.s. I have a slightly longer explanation along with a video posted on our blog, where you can also post comments.
I know I am not a brilliant CEO but this decision seems retarded to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.