Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Versions of DVDs in Multi-packs

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Versions of DVDs in Multi-packs

I normally hate multi-packs unless the films are sequels, but I did pick up a couple and was wondering if the verisions in the multi-pack are the same as those that are in regular versions / special editions. Many of these do not tell you on the back, so it is impossible to know, even by looking at the package.

Adam Sandler 50 1st dates/Mr. Deeds

Bill Murray - Stripes/Ghostbusters/Groundhog day (I think these are all the same versions)

Buddy Holly Story / La Bamba

Miss Congeneality 1 / 2

Mummy 3 pack (I know there was a 2-D of the first one)

Chronicles of Riddick

Adams Family / Values

Teen Wolf / Too
Old 05-25-08, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the rambo special editions 3 disc set in a single dvd case at walmart and each movie has its own disc..

i have a thread here already with pictures... better then a big bulky set..
Old 05-25-08, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Teen Wolf 1 and Too were never released separately. The double feature is the only way to buy it.

Other movies like that include Porky's 2 (released in a Porky's/ Porky's 2 Double feature and later part of the Porky's box, but never alone), Porky's Revenge (Box Set), and Revenge Of The Nerds III and IV (Nerds Box).

I don't own it, but I think the version of Groundhog Day in the Bill Murray box is the older special edition, and not the 15th Anniversary edition released earlier this year.
Old 06-09-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Michael J. Fox Comedy Favorites Collection THE SECRET OF MY SUCCESS THE HARD WAY FOR LOVE OR MONEY and GREEDY

Are the movies here the same as in the regular versions and are the discs in slim packs? I'm looking to possibly get this in the DD sale.

TIA
Old 06-09-08, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Michael J. Fox Comedy Favorites Collection THE SECRET OF MY SUCCESS THE HARD WAY FOR LOVE OR MONEY and GREEDY

Are the movies here the same as in the regular versions and are the discs in slim packs? I'm looking to possibly get this in the DD sale.

TIA
They may actually be better versions.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=512753

The other comedy collection packs come in a single dvd case, and one disc usually has two movies. Not sure about the MJF one though, since it has 4 titles.
Old 06-09-08, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adam Sandler 50 1st dates/Mr. Deeds
Bill Murray - Stripes/Ghostbusters/Groundhog day (I think these are all the same versions)
Buddy Holly Story / La Bamba
Miss Congeneality 1 / 2
Mummy 3 pack (I know there was a 2-D of the first one)
Chronicles of Riddick
Adams Family / Values
Teen Wolf / Too

The Adam Sandler, Bill Murray and Miss Congeniality sets should be the same as regular discs, although as someone else noted this year they released a new Groundhog Day SE and you won't be getting that. Beware of Sony double features -- you won't be losing bonus features but FS versions may be used. You are losing stuff with the Mummy set, because as you say there was an "Ultimate" Edition of the first one and now there are new Mummy 2-disc sets coming out. Riddick is the more recent edition of Pitch Black which means you lose a lengthy featurette from some convention, and some other menial features. Addams Family should be okay. I believe the Teen Wolf double feature is the only way to get either movie on DVD -- there are no individual releases.

As noted in the notes on my Universal Franchise Collections thread, you do lose the featurette and music video for The Hard Way, but the transfers are superior.