DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Summer Sci-Fi Movie Challenge - Interest Check

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Summer Sci-Fi Movie Challenge - Interest Check

Since we have a horror and holiday movie challenge already, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a Sci-Fi movie challenge.

I'm planning on basing the rules around the horror challenge where it's movie only. No tv shows(Outer Limits, Twilight Zone) since it is a movie challenge but movies from tv shows are ok, like the Futurama movies. If there's too much confusion over this we can just not allow movies based off tv shows unless they've had a theatrical run.

Movies need to be the standard length for movies which is around 45 minutes.

Movies have to be labeled sci-fi from either imdb.com or allmovie.com

I'm also planning on some sci-fi related prizes aka sci-fi stuff I have sitting around. No cash, nothing expensive, just some fun stuff.

The main question, other than if people want to do it, is if we should do it June or July. If you have any other suggestions, post them.
Old 05-24-08, 11:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest July if this is to be done. In honor of X-FIles II, Hellboy II, and Space Chimps (just kidding on that last one.). Also the release on DVD of Dark City: Director's Cut,. Thats just my opinion though.
Old 05-25-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be interested, though I'd rather have TV shows included, maybe there can be a sub-contest.
Old 05-25-08, 08:40 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
i'd be interested if we also included action/adventure, horror, comedy, drama, and tv shows
Old 05-25-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Have a separate TV-only challenge then.
Old 05-25-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Should've made it a poll

I might be interested. June would work out better for me since Comic-Con is in July
Old 05-25-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

scott1598, it's time to put you on my enemies list

If we included tv shows, what if we made it so you had to watch an entire season for it to count and that season would count for one entry?
Old 05-25-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd defiintely be more likely to participate if TV shows were included, since I don't own a lot of sci-fi movies. Plus, it would give me a chance to get all those seasons of The Twilight Zone and The X-Files off of my unwatched list. But counting an entire season as only one entry? How about counting each disc (excluding extras-only discs) as one entry instead?

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 05-25-08 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-25-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess include TV shows and each show counts as an entry. Counting discs wouldn't work if people watched shows on TV.

If I go ahead with the prizes, I think instead of going by number of items watched, since tv shows could quickly add up, people would need to keep track of running times. Something like I'm doing here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...40&postcount=2
Old 05-25-08, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would also include TV shows but only Count each disk as One OR One season as One entry. Counting/listing each episode wouldn't be sufficient.
Old 05-25-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Id be interested in this despite my failed attempt at the holiday challenge...as i have about 10--15 sci fi movies unopened awaiting attention...might even encourage me to finally watch the star wars movies
Old 05-25-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I would suggest July if this is to be done. In honor of X-FIles II, Hellboy II, and Space Chimps (just kidding on that last one.). Also the release on DVD of Dark City: Director's Cut,. Thats just my opinion though.
That makes sense to me.

TV shows are the problem now. If we did it where each disc of a tv series was an entry then all the shows would have to be on DVD. Otherwise we'd have to figure out a whole new set of rules for dealing with people watching single episodes of something on TV or watching a show that's not out on DVD.

If we did it by counting individual episodes, I'd want to figure out who watched the most by also having everyone include and keeping track of running times. Keeping track of running times was something that some people wanted to do with the horror challenge due to the large amounts people were watching in a day.

Counting a season as one entry would be the easiest but you might have a 10 hour season only count as one. Again, we could also keep track of running times.
Old 05-25-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be interested.

As far as TV shows go, if we're counting them, I say two hour-long shows or four half-hour shows equals a movie.
Old 05-25-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I'd be interested.

As far as TV shows go, if we're counting them, I say two hour-long shows or four half-hour shows equals a movie.
That works for me too. What does everyone else think?
Old 05-25-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that's a great idea. Wish I'd thought of it!

If you do it that way, you can definitely count me in. I vote for July, BTW.

Rob
Old 05-26-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It looks like we figured it all out. Thanks for the help.

I'll start a discussion page on the 1st June and we'll start the show in July.
Old 05-27-08, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I'd be interested. If we're going to include TV shows with a caveat that multiple shows count as one movie, then the 45 minute rule should probably go. SF films tend to be longer than Horror, anyway. We should encourage the viewing of SF epics like The Abyss and avoid the rancor that came of that rule in the Horror challenge.

I propose we include Fantasy genre. SF is really just a subset of Fantasy, anyway. It would forestall questions on cross-genre films like Star Wars.
Old 05-27-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
then the 45 minute rule should probably go
I agree

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I propose we include Fantasy genre. SF is really just a subset of Fantasy, anyway. It would forestall questions on cross-genre films like Star Wars.
I'm not sure about adding Fantasy. Going by what I said earlier, Star Wars shouldn't have any questions since there's a sci-fi tag at imdb.com and allmovie.com.

Any cross-genre films that include sci-fi should have the sci-fi tag and imdb or allmovie which I think would be easy enough to go by. I think it'd solve problems of some people saying a certain movie is sci-fi and others not agreeing.
Old 05-27-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you thought about having it run longer than a month? I noticed you're calling it the "Summer Sci-Fi Challenge", how about July and August? Personally, I could use the extra time to get through all those seasons of The X-Files.

Rob
Old 05-27-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
For me, this would definitely be a challenge as lately, I haven't been able to watch diddly.

But, I fully support this idea and would try to participate as often as possible.
Old 05-27-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RobCA
Have you thought about having it run longer than a month? I noticed you're calling it the "Summer Sci-Fi Challenge", how about July and August? Personally, I could use the extra time to get through all those seasons of The X-Files.

Rob
The only reason why I wouldn't want to do it in August at all is because we'd only get one month off before we started the October one. After that last Horror challenge, I took a couple months off before I could watch as much as I normally do.

If anyone else wants to do it though, speak up and I'll probably make it happen.
Old 05-27-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

great idea - i'll play
Old 05-28-08, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
A film challenge is more about encouraging the watching of many different films, rather than just spending a certain number of hours in front of a TV watching something genre-related. I would hope that participants don't blow the whole challenge on multiple episodes of one or two TV shows. To each his own, I suppose.
Old 05-28-08, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I usually partake in all of the challenges (regardless of the fact that I run 2 of the 3) but I will be passing on this, simply because I don't have many Sci-Fi movies at all, plus I'm not a huge fan of Sci-Fi. But I hope everyone else has fun with it.
Old 05-28-08, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't have many sci-fi movies either, as I'm also not a big fan of the genre. That's why I'm glad TV shows are included. While I won't "blow the whole challenge on multiple episodes of one or two TV shows", I am planning to blow most of it on them.

Rob

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.